Thrive Off Grid

Running test 3. This time running the larger generator, so I should see higher velocity reaching in further to consume fuel farther in. So we will see what happens. That will further confirm the need to add that plate.

4 Likes

Hi Matt. On your ammo box sawdust filters how many gasifier runs are you getting before having to dump the filter and refilling the box with new sawdust and straw?
Bob

4 Likes

I dont keep track a long time. If I had to guess 40 to 60 hours.

4 Likes

Do you just run your hand through the top of the sawdust and can see it is time to change it or the color of the sawdust on top? This is going to be my next filter for my charcoal/wood gasifiers. If I us a barrel it will have a clean out in the bottom and fill on top. I might shrink a 55 gallon barrel down if needed for space and leave it tall. This is just to KISS in it’s design.
Bob

4 Likes

Nope I wait until it clogs up enough to where Im not getting the power I want. The dirty that filter gets the better it performs.

3 Likes

Even then if its not saturated with tar, Ill just stir it up to loosen it back up or Ill dump it in with fresh and re use it.

Tar is a different story though. If the filter gets hot it now my belief / theory that, that tar will reform into gas. Ive seen this with tar saturated hose before, where I knew the gasifier was making clean gas and still tared up an engine.

5 Likes

Yes I agree, with out the heat the tar is stuck in a hose or filter material. Add hot heat and it can gas and travel where you do not want it. When I am cleaning my tar/water condension tank out I open the drain and drop the water out of the tank, and then open the 2"and drain the tar. To get all the hot tar out of the tank I will turn on my blowers, tar vapor comes out from the gasifier’s heat. If you put a rag over the opening the vapor with collect on the rag quickly. You get that vapor in the engine and you are tar up.
Bob

3 Likes

Bob you could always make a tall sawdust filter using one of the taller ammo cans. Floor flange adapted in place and leave the lid be to keep any freak accident heat away.

Or put the sawdust inside a sack, that way when tar is an issue you’ll know it’s ready to change because of the restriction on the cloth. Easy to remove with all the sawdust in it. From Inside-Out I think the flow would work.

1 Like

That might work too except for the jeep has the gas tank is right under where the filter is going to sitting in the back. But in other vehicle applications it would for sure. So the clean out has to be at the bottom out the side of the barrel.
I am also trying to build everything with these barrels I got for free, very challenging.
Bob

1 Like

So here is the new VersiFire proto. This is sort of a mockup here with the barrels set up on it. Next will be to build the frame system, built its filter and blower motor set up and acquire the drums for the gasometer and hopper. The hopper shown does not have lid. Then get all mechanical, hose / valve systems complete and then wire it up. Then for controls as this will need a controller. That will be the fun part. We plan to heat the shop plus provide gas to the RV after shop hours, so this will run around the clock. The charcoal will be used to fuel one of the generators to supplement fuel cost.

7 Likes

So this is scaled up from what you had in your RV that was heating it and making charcoal fuel?
Bob

2 Likes

Its designed for chip and chunk fuel, plus it will have more demand than just heating. The original small units were direct heaters I never made it farther than that with those. Where this is really totally different technology taking it to that level but eliminating the primary combustion for direct heat. Instead it will just use the second stage. To make this do all the primary stage makes things to complex as it will run in cycles plus thing is huge!! This thing will be outside and supply gas to be used in appliances. I have no idea what its limitations are. We need to build it and simply run it. It might be possible to run a gas furnace but I know if even at this size it will be able to cool the gas to supply a furnace. I guess in that case you would just run additional gasometers to it will have a bigger head start.

3 Likes

The only thing this really shares with the previous development is the VersiFire name. Other than that and that it will produce charcoal as a product, they are completely different technology.

2 Likes

So it will be outside and giving off heat right. So just waste the heat to the outside or are you planning to reroute it and use it inside the shop area? Or will be to dangerous to do that?
Bob

1 Like

No not really. It will only run for five minutes at a time. So not a ton of heat will be lost. By the time it fills the barrels up it will hardly even get warm.

2 Likes

If anything we may insulate it so heat is put into the biomass to help produce the charcoal. Theoretically, this will fire up, flare off and then fill the gasometer and shut back off going into standby mode. While its in this standby mode that heat is still drying and reducing the fuel to better set the stage for the next cycle and produce charcoal.

3 Likes

So this gas is not engine quality gases all the time? It will need to be filtered for other means. But the by product of charcoal is of engine quality grade to be used in generation or running any IC Engines. This looks like it will work but only with automation controls. To much time if you would have to run it in a manual you watch it mode.
Bob

2 Likes

Just the contrary, this gas will be very clean. Cleaner than what the charcoal gasifier can produce. The issue the gasometers need to cool and settle the gas to get it that clean. So it will for low volume and is why Im not certain it will keep up with a furnace so there is absolutely no way it will keep up with a high volume engine.

Yes automation is required, but this is not something to be scared of. Its just shuttling valves on and off electrical stuff breaks way less than anything mechanical. If anything goes wrong you simply replace it like any mechanical system. Just valves and relays, the controller is unlikely to ever fail. Even if it does its probably the simplest part to replace. Just get an Nano board and load it up with our software. We will provide the code. You simply unplug it and plug the new one in its place. Nothing to wire or unwire. My hardware systems are now very simple and easy to troubleshoot.

6 Likes

Ok going to post this video here, running the inverter generators in tandem. This here Im running the 9500 with the 8750 inverter generators. Note that the 8750 is NOT parallel capable; however the 9500 is and it can sync to the 8750. But the 8750 can not sync to the 9500. So the 8750 must be the master and started first and then you start the 9500 and it will automatically sync to it.

Any inverter generator that is parallel capable does NOT need any special cables none of them. All you need to do is build a Y cable and join them. The cable ports on these are hard wired directly into the output legs, the only reason they make them that way is for safety reason’s. IE you unplug one generator while the other is running; you will have a live plug with prongs.

Also is the 2023 DFX-S3 final revision. Moving on to the VersiFire and next generation controls. I will soon be posting a lot about the Versifire especially if it works!! Im expecting this to be a massive product for this company way beyond what we sell in gasifier systems.

8 Likes

Here is a quick update on the VersiFire. I will be ordering the accumulator barrels this week and get them built along with getting the ammo box filter and blower set up. Took a bit to think of a compact frame that would support the gasifier reactor and also integrate the gasometer barrels. But I think Ive come up with something we can offer in a kit that will be easy to assemble and viable to ship at the same time. As for a safety cage, Im going to leave that to the users discretion as this is a DIY kit.

I also need to install the grate agitator actuator mechanism yet. So I will tackle that when we tear it back down to install the accumulator drums. Once all this is built it will be ready to plumb up and install the electrical stuff. Then it should be ready to fire up. Im shooting for the end of September and this will be fully functional and proofed out.

Yeah this thing is a beast!

This foot pedal lifts up the catch bin up too the reactor, so that you can seal and secure it using the band clamp. When full, you step on this and release the band clamp, lower it down releasing the foot pedal and then re place an empty back in and re secure it.

9 Likes