Tools, Tips and Tricks

That’s was a pretty slick idea. We used those blades for cutting shingles. You can buy them by the hundred pack for less than 15 bucks. I’ll have to show that to my son. He’s still roofing.

1 Like

Looking for a tach to check RPM on these generators. Any recommendations.

1 Like

Hey TomH,
I use one that is stick on digital. Two wires. One to the engine metal. The other an around the spark plug wire sensor. Has a toggle switch for 2-4 cycle. Distributed spark; 2x every spark; or counting 2-cycle or for waste-spark systems.
Ha! I’m not recommending this one as I’ve found it has a sealed internal battery.
Still working after 4 years . . . . but . . .

Pass on the paint marking ones, or the glue on flywheel magnet ones imho. To complex tweaky for continuous use imo. Pay more for earlier failure.
S.U.

3 Likes

Thanks. I saw ones like that but didn’t under stand what the wires did. If you put clips on the wires would it still work on the spark plug wire? If I get four years out of a twenty five dollar tool I’m not going to whine much.

1 Like

Mine would not. The spark plug wire end is a special inductance coil. You nylon tie-wrap it to the spark plug wire.
I’d thought that the spark energy was what powered the output display.
No.
Probably a silver oxide coin battery. Case is plastic welded. It fails and I’ll try grind opening it up.
S.U.

2 Likes

I was looking at ordering more Ceramic fiber blanket. The 1"x24"x25’ roll and saw that Home Depot also has a 25 LB box of chunks for half the price. No need to have a roll to pack around in a gasifier. I’m going to order both.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UniTherm-Ceramic-Bulk-Fiber-6-8-Densities-2300F-24L-x-18W-x-18H-25-lbs-R-Value-56-75-Box-for-Chimney-and-Furnace-Insulation-BF-6-8-25/311018306

2 Likes

Hi Folks,
Do you all know how to find out what all kinds of materials are good for? I think matweb is just sooo useful.
Rindert
(http://matweb.com/ )
[Universal 308L is the low carbon version of 308 and is designed for welding 304L stainless steel. The weld deposit contains a maximum of 0.04 carbon which minimizes the formation of chromium carbides, thereby protecting the corrosion resistant qualities of the base metal and weld. This electrode may also be used for welding the stabilized grades 321 and 347 when severe corrosion environments are not present. Alloy 308L can be used for cryogenic applications due to its excellent notch toughness.

Information provided by Universal Wire Works for their line of welding wire and filler metal.]

2 Likes

Easily Removable wooden table that fits on top of a Drill Press XY Table with Vise.
-This little sacrificial wooden table allows me to keep my XY table on my drill press all the time:

Pete Stanaitis

9 Likes

Thanks for the idea Pete. Now I can mount my xy vise which I have been wanting to do without worry of taking it off and on often.

2 Likes

When you don’t have a cutting table, a template is a solution.

11 Likes

So the metal that I cut was used for the realization of a visit eyelet to see the combustion in a boiler hearthoeuilleton

7 Likes

https://youtu.be/S-_Ib6rae0g

4 Likes

Nice idea there Wayne Keith, that beats trying too get a syphin hose down through a gas tank filler tubes. That gallon might last a week working your v10 farm truck, from your wood gasifier primary fuel supply.

4 Likes

If you enter the (omställningsresan) on youtube, there is a lot to see.

3 Likes

sweet niblets! Thanks, Jan! example:

9 Likes

I made an impact tool.
I would have needed a really big screw driver to tighten the 5/8 inch slotted screws you see in the picture. And then I would have needed a really big arm to turn it, which I don’t have. So I wanted something I could use with my impact wrench. I checked the local hardware stores, internet etc… Harbor Freight came the closest, but way too small. So I decided to try making something.
I used a piece of an axle shaft from a '98 Bronco. The shaft was very hard I had to cut a chunk off with my angle grinder. I took the temper out of it by getting it red in my forge and then letting it cool slowly in a coffee can full of charcoal for insulation. I had to put a lid on the can or all the charcoal would have burned up.
I then made the tool I wanted mainly by using a hacksaw and file.
Last I tempered the tool. I heated it up with a torch bright red and then dunked it in old motor oil. I bent a piece of coat hanger wire to hold the tool while I heated it and to allow me to lower the tool into the oil without splashing. I was very worried that the oil might catch fire, or boil out of the can or something like that. But nothing bad happened. It made some smoke, that’s all.
The tool works really well. I got all the screws tightened up and didn’t break or ruin anything.
Rindert

11 Likes

This is very interesting! Also, what is the contraption you have in the last picture? I see a sprocket, a bearing, and a clutch pack? Please write some more about this, thanks

3 Likes

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your interest. The blue piece is the cutter for a wood chunker, the bottom of an oxygen cylinder. The sprocket will drive it. They are attached to a wheel hub for a Ford F250. The countersunk screws are necessary so their heads will clear the part of the hub that attaches to the frame. This is a work in progress. I’ll make a full presentation when I have some results.
Rindert

2 Likes

Here’s a video I found looking for cutting guides with torches
Good for circles.

6 Likes

I am in the process of making an Archimedean screw coil, considering the purchase price, but I understand that it is expensive, a lot of precise parameter to respect.

5 Likes