Tractor with gas?

JO if l understand correstly, the gasifier on the picture is the new one, wich l belive he ment to put on the BCS mower. The one on the tractor is much bigger.

What surpriced me thugh, Tone sayd to me the other day his nozzes are just 4mm. Seems real small

7 Likes

I published the data here, or rather in the next few contributions,…

8 Likes

tone´s bottom cleaning nozzle…it is of course not a hot leak, that steals gas…but it produces gas because it is surrounded by charcoal…like as a little charcoal one nozzle gasifier…
the incoming air burns away and produces a little reaction area, surrounded by the reduction coal area, consumes the coal, so the upper coal (and ashes) glides down…
my simple, not very scientific understanding…
ciao giorgio

8 Likes

Really? Even on the bigger tractor 13" gasifier? Maybe it helps penetrate the small fuel and the bottom nozzle keeps enough temp up down low to be able to handle the rich mixture of steam and CO2.

7 Likes

I bought some material to make a variable geometry gas mixer, you may remember the sketch I posted. There is no time for that at the moment, the nice weather calls me to work outside. :grinning:

8 Likes

Tom recently said that it would be good to edit the posts, but I’m so confused that I forget where I left off, confusion in my head, confusion in the workshop, confusion on the forum, well, this post would fit here…

8 Likes

Hi Tone, here is a drawing of what a bigger WK Gasifier combined with your fixed vertical preheat grate tubes. The difference is the lower incoming air would be 2" valve controled inside the 4" intake pipe that can be closed also, not shown. Yes this gasifier will run bigger engines. The lower nozzes have a distance of 6" to the out side of the grate tubes from the 8 nozzles. Under the nozzle pipe is a heat sink for cooling it.
No detail of the WK Gasifier shown working parts.

I also put some ash protection on top of the lower nozzle head as menioned and the ash protection below the nozzle. This will also protect the lower welds of the vertical tubes.
Bob

8 Likes

You have drawn the restrictor tube facing upwards, in this way the gases generated above would have the possibility to escape past the operating area of ​​the lower nozzle, which is not good, the restrictor tube must extend so deep that it covers the openings of the lower nozzle, at least that’s what I think.

4 Likes

Here I lowered the lower the pipe for the 8 nozzles holes to 2" from 4" where it was. The restection pipe is now 4" into the vertical pipe grate. This will now protect the upper welds on the pipes and cause the charcoal to move down to be closer to the lower nozzles.

Bob

6 Likes

Bob, imagine a flow of gases traveling from higher to lower pressure, the highest pressure is the air pressure that is at the nozzle openings, and the lowest is in the area around the grate and extends through the gaps to the coal and ash that comes through the restrictor tube from the top . If the end of the restrictor pipe is high above the lower nozzle, the gases from the top have quite a chance to flow under the lower edge of the restrictor pipe towards the grate, and the lower nozzle will remain high up with ash and fine coal, and thus a rather high negative pressure must be created in order for this clean and make the charcoal glow. The pressure difference determines the amount of air on the nozzles, if you want a hot bottom operation and gasification of the coal, you must prioritize the bottom nozzle over the top ones. Well, otherwise it is easy to lengthen or shorten the restrictor tube and thus optimize the operation.

7 Likes

Good morning
here is a sketch of my current gasifier. it is designed to run on charcoal. I installed a restriction (about 14 cm) as a precaution to crack the water vapor and any volatile coming from imperfectly cooked charcoal
the nozzle is adjustable in height. the grid has been replaced by a height-adjustable iron disc. I am considering replacing the metal disc (the one that acts as the grid) with a lower nozzle like that of Tone
I hope to get a more regular smoother gas flow (less drag)
your advice will be welcome
Thierry

I will post photos as soon as the temperature allows it. here -30 c with winds of 80 to 90 km/h this weekend

7 Likes

Okay Tone, drawing revised.

I think the gases and charcoal will now flow by the the lower nozzle air, but I am hoping that the air does not burn up the gases that have been already made this is why I made a path for gases higher up into the burn restriction bottom to flow by. But my lower nozzle will have a valve to control the air supply to the nozzle. More to think on in my brain on what is happening here.
Bob

7 Likes

Bob, this sketch is probably close to the optimal fuel pipe, but I would remove the upper restriction opening (7.5"), so that the fuel fills the lower pipe unhindered, and lower the lower nozzle a bit, so that the air intake holes are about 1"-2 "higher than the lower edge of the restriction pipe (the nozzle, which is short, is less exposed to thermal shock, the lower ring contains ash for insulation and the upper one as well (Rindert), so only a small part is exposed to high temperature). Good gases that descend filled with fine coal through the restrictor pipe and reach the area where fresh air is supplied, they would of course catch fire if there were no fine coal in this part, and in this way the coal consumes all the oxygen (as is known, hot coal is very aggressive for oxygen, because it even takes it from water vapor.

8 Likes

Sunday drive to my wife’s forest, there are quite a few trees on the ground that I have to take home, Fergie has a lot of work to do.

15 Likes

Bob, that’s kind of my idea

9 Likes

here are some pictures of my down draw gasifier

14 Likes

Okay now I see what you are doing the resticion tube is stright open at the top. And down at the lower nozzle now becomes the restricion point where the gases speed up and changes the pressure of the vaccum with the charcoal bed. The charcoal is free flowing straight down to the point where the lower nozzle adds more air for to the charcoal to make more CO. I would think adding moisture here at this point could be a way of making even more hydrogen gases with the CO already being made.
Being able to regulate the air going through this lower nozzle with a valve could be very benificial with different operation loads of the engine. This gasifier unit in the drawing will be operating a larger horse power engine 2.5 L and larger V-8 's.
Thank you Tone for this new innovative idea of this new fixed vertical grate tubing to preheat the incoming air and cool the exit gases going out of the reactor firetube zone. Also with this lower charcoal nozzle to help clear the ashes as it makes more gases.
Bob

4 Likes

this gasifier gradually clogs and i would like to try a small nozzle at the bottom of the firebox like Tone builds in his gasifiers
What do you think about this

I thought I would test this 6-hole nozzle at 45 degrees

5 Likes

depending on your construction, I would try my luck like this and fill the gasifier with moist charcoal or add wood

8 Likes

Be sure to cap the end like Tone does, with a bit of a brim to the hat.

6 Likes