Wayne's V-10 Ram

Yes it is amazing how well COWBOY KEITH set us up with wood gasification system’s that work as good as Wayne’s last speed test vidio- Plenti of power on wood–A lot of testing and trial designs/studying patients. To get a wood gasifier as good as the HAVE_WOOD_WILL TRAVEL- Book. He saved us a lot of gess work and build tar gas fails,or weak gas fails.

5 Likes

Hey Tone .

You were asking about shutting down the gasifier in a parking lot or public area so I made this short video for you this afternoon.

If I haven’t been pulling the gasifier hard I pretty much just turn the key off.

12 Likes

@Wayne , do you close off the wood gas mixer valves and your intake tennis ball valve when you shut down?

Garry C

5 Likes

Garry ,

If I were shutting down for the night I would try to remember to shut the air mix dampers off to kill the fire quicker . If shutting down for shorter links of time I may leave them open so the fire would more likely stay alive .

On this particular truck I don’t have an air intake tennis ball valve . I do have a one way check / flapper valve to keep the air flow from reversing and smoking at shut down. It is a cheap plastic valve that can easily be seen in the videos on this thread post 978. You can see it going into the dropbox / heatX housing .

12 Likes

Thank you Mr. Wayne, it feels good to have a friend on that side of the pond

12 Likes

Hello Kevin .

We were cluttering up Neils thread so I thought I would skip over here to try to answer your question about over looked issues with a gasifier system.

Good morning Kevin

I think not having the proper job or tasks for the gasified machine.

Don said it well when he mentioned he only drove 3 miles to work and it was not worth the effort to fire up for that short distance.

I have another example of my farm tractor and why I removed the gasifier from it. ( but still have it handy )

In the winter the tractors job or duty is to drive into a hay barn with tons of bone dry hay, spear a roll of hay and set out to the cattle . This takes from 10 to 30 minutes and the machine is not used again until the next day .

The amount of gasoline I would have saved is not worth the time or very small risk of fire .

In the summer the tractor job is working in the hay field with dry hay sometimes knee deep. Also when working in the hay always in a big hurry trying to take advantage of the suitable weather. Usually it will be my wife or son operating the tractor while I use another .( the operator knowledge is more important than the machine )

A job the gasified tractor is very good at is bushoging pasture land in the summer ( I have several videos of this , Wayne’s 444 International thread ) The problem with this is I also have a big bat wing bushog that covers 4X the ground and with the wings I am able to cut ditch banks and cut under low hanging limbs . I can save 3-4 days of work using the big rig .

One other example of gasification not fitting a task is my electric power needs . My electric power cost is less than $2 a day or average 8 cents per hour. In 30 years the power has been out about 5 -10 hours . No way I can justify gasifying my electric power to compete with the above.

With my farming duties I use a powerful and heavy work truck daily and usually not in any big hurry. The big problem with this vehicle is it only will travel about 6 miles on a gallon of gasoline . I consider this to be a very good application of gasification . :blush:

All the above is based on availability of gasoline at a moderate price . If gasoline becomes scarce or if prices get too high the rules will change

Have Wood Will Travel

16 Likes

I feel the same Wayne. I don’t need to go to a lot of effort to run a gasified gen set for power but when I do it’s so I can keep learning the ins and outs of the systems and ways to improve the infrastructure and my abilities. If I was never in a position that I needed to make my own power that’s fine with me but the idea that I may have to go without is completely unacceptable. We drive less than a hundred miles a month. No real need for a gasified vehicle but watching the videos and reading you guys tales makes me want to do it just because it seems like fun. Maybe this year.

15 Likes

That is in large part why I do it. I still like fun!

14 Likes

Yes Steve .
You can understand at $2.00 USD per day why I am not making electricity with gasification .

10 Likes

Thanks WAYNE KEITH for the reply on few paragraphs back, greatly Defined-with a farm to run and wood to chunk- that would eat up most days time in itself- I can see how solar would be too long to pay back at that rate-my light bill last 19 years under70 bucks a month unless i am welding alot out in the gardge.lakley its been just over 100.00 bucks last three months.

6 Likes

I TOLTALY AGREE ON ALL ABOVE being not worth the effort, my 3500 chevy gets about 8 mpg empty.THOUGH i dont use the truck enough too gasify it.not that many heavy loads to move around as your farm duties v10 truck has too haul.

2 Likes

We are at 4 bucks a day as well. Electric dryer and hot water heater account for a lot of that. Fan on the wood heater and pumps running 12 hr a day. Well pump All LED lights including the grow lights that run 16 hours a day from Feb to May. Supplemental in the greenhouse for 6 hours a day during growing season. Dish washer heating water and sanitizing. Only gas appliance is kitchen range. Getting off-grid would be really hard for us but we are adaptable.

6 Likes

Mr Wayne, my philosophy is (or was) the same. My electric bill is even smaller thain yours, rarely exceeding 30 dolars a month. A few led lights and one fridge with a occasional welding dont justify any home generation investment.

But! The other day we were without power for over 2 days. I had to borrow a gasoline generator and l felt like a moron. I only burnt maybe a gallon of gas but still, they say a blacksmiths horse is always barefoot and l realised l dont have even one mean of generating my own electricity and this has to change.

15 Likes

What about fixed fees guys? Prior to our solar investment I used to pay about $4 a day, but half of that is the connection alone. The bulk part of our consumption is fridge and freezers.
In avarage, the solar has provided us a $7 a day tax free income for the past year, but the $2 a day connection fee ramains.

7 Likes

Does your area have a lot of tree branch damage to the wires, Or are the power company morons.,Thats redickules just for hook up- i think i would buy batery bank and solar panels- and char gas when solar is slow,OR i would move to a more rightfull electric company area.

2 Likes

Kevin, I think it has to do with grid owners and electricity producers are different companies and the countryside being sparsely populated. In an area with a wide spred grid and few inhabitants the “hookup fee” is s lot more expensive.
Most of our local grids are dug down cables nowdays - no tree branch damages.

2 Likes

You got that right. My step dad was looking into it a while ago and 7,000 dollar install and not permitted to use your own generated power.

“Wait, you want me to pay to install panels on my roof, and if there is a power outage i still have to fire up my diesel generator to make my own power?? Get bent!!”

You know he wanted to slam the phone down for emphasis, but with cordless phones its just not the same effect anymore

10 Likes

No more politics on waynes thread- we need too move this to its own tread posible. I can see how its hard to get any returns from solar panel systems.Maybe we need a {solar panel returns}-thread.

1 Like

You consider this “politics”???
Whatever. My part of it is gone, gone now.
S.U.

4 Likes

NOT really politics-Other than the cost of solar arays and all the rest-though we somehow got off coarse since this is waynes v10 thread-They can move the solar stuff too a new thread would be nice. I got a lot more questains about best ways to get started with solar, though on its own thread-hopefullyTHANKS