Which Harbor Freight Generator?

Wallace,
What about this one? I was gonna offer$1000 for it. It has never been run.
I know to check the brush clips, lol. It has the same starting setup.

3 Likes

Schwing!!!

Thats a 12kw Kohler plant with V4H wisconsin.
Late 70s early 80s

Thats a very nice unit too.
Kind of hard on fuel but an excellent choice for a woodgas plant.
Thats on par with a J range Onan

You lucky son of a busdriver .
back up unit for something important back in the day most likely like a grocery store

Mice seem to have a particular fondness for those big Kohler sets look inside all the tins for nests before you try and start one

4 Likes

I suppose it’s better than the Harbor Freight stuff. If I buy it, you are going to be on call for brain picking. I know a lil about the hay bailer engine but not so much about the generator. I built a tool last summer and rolled it over. I have been dickering with the owner for about 10 years on this. Big loop.
It was bought to provide backup power for the local ISP.

1 Like

Kohler:

Before you offer anything ask what the guys wants and ask if he can get it running for you.
If it can’t be seen running putting out power then my default price is by the pound.
Unless you really know what to look for and have a reason to buy something, like you want parts off it for another… Then the default price per pound in scrap iron is your best starting point.

Even running though 1000 bucks for it might be high.
Market for that is pretty small.
I turned my nose up at a 7500 watt diesel DJB running but with a bad board in the regulator last spring because.
I felt 200 was too much for something I really did not need and did not want to put parts into.
Parts is the problem with a lot of this stuff and they can blow holes in your wallet.

5 Likes

Good advice, this. Thks

1 Like

Ah yes the old steam powered wireless router days I remember them well…
Funny its a pretty old unit for a company to buy for an ISP back up.
That does not pass my sniff test.
Maybe it was withdrawn from service someplace upgrading to a new unit for an ISP back up.
I am thinking maybe Cable TV going digital and this removed ect…
Police station radio back up maybe old analog cell tower days…
Replaced would make sense if they were up grading.
It was indoor and looks well kept except for some minor damage to the controller.
I would want to look inside that controller to make sure its not damaged.

" It has never been run "
I do not think I believe that.
I see a hole in the controller where something was clearly connected too it.
Likely a remote start and associated stuff for a transfer panel.

It has probably got an hour meter on the face of the controller from the looks of it its in good condition as a standby it may have only a few hundred hours even if it was inn service for 30 years…

These kinds of things are popping up now because even though they are great units they are 30 to 50 years old and most shops do not have technicians who know them.
I get calls to look at stuff like that simply because of that.

3 Likes

This guy I suspect is in the business and cant stand to watch the iron giants get melted down into new KIAs.

I feel his pain and as cool as I find this stuff myself its worth its weight at the scrap yard because you can afford to fix or fuel these things.
They are monsters you might see at an engine show…

A kohler plant pretty close to the one your looking at.

4 Likes