Wood gas safety

Hmm not so sure about the last statement… usualy they are radiation beam sensors. And sensitive buggers too. I had one in our upper floor where the bedrooms are. It went off screaming even if you spilled just a drop of oil on the hot plate while making pancakes. And it usualy went off just when the baby was asleep :unamused: l do seem to remember ripping it off one day and throwing it out the window :smile:

Now we just have a CO detector.

13 Likes

When I built this house, code required all smoke detectors to be hardwire daisy chained so that if one went off they all went off. One in every sleeping room and in the hall outside the sleeping rooms, kitchen and furnace room. Once they were all going off you had to reset them individually. Now I just have one in the hall outside the bedrooms and one in the furnace room which is useless since I haven’t run the boiler in twenty years. We do have a CO detector on both levels though.

8 Likes

Detectors are really cheap even ones that give you levels $40 USD.
I have treated many for CO and have seen many deaths.
Be careful !!

Andrew

5 Likes

I have no financial connection to this. Just looked it up on Amazon.

5 Likes

hi kristian, i have a question beside this thread…you have written you built up your forge with clay…do you mix the clay with something or use it pure?
have you side -wind or from underneath?
my forge has suffered at least buy rust, the hearth rings of the heart plate -distanciators to the fire bowl -are nearly destroyed from rust, i think because of ash in combination with umidity…
so i must do something new with time
ciao giorgio

2 Likes

Just thought i could post this here: an old-time carbon monoxide indicator, these are often found on flea-markets or on the net, i know there are better and more modern stuff today, but this works for indicating small amounts of co too.

Altought old, and the test tubes expired, this reacts on one puff on a cigarett.

Test tubes, change color by ppm of co.
This is from a time when it wasn’t unusual to develop a headache when driving your old car.
Just when driving, press the bulb, the indicator then slowly “breaths” a sample.
Repeat 3 times, first shows immediately danger, second shows danger, third shows danger in longer exposure.
This is maybe just curiousity, but it’s usable.
I think we could post some co indicators, and measuring devices, both modern and vintage in this thread?

10 Likes

Wow thats so cool! I remember now we had something similar in highscool, our lab teacher (who we all hated) gave us keys of her car to fill a couple of baloons with exhaust to test for CO and NOX. The guy on the throtle threw all his frustration towards the teacher in redlining that poor litle car to the sky :smile:

10 Likes

Sorry, l missed your reply Giorgio.

The clay l got alredy had some natural quarz sand in it and l just added water and choped straw.

Son was the mixer.

I will take pictures of the forge later, its bottom draft.

16 Likes