04 Ford Ranger on charcoal

I would give it a try first just the way it is. Does T=7/16 mean the thickness of the concentric cone wall? If so, that will not burn through very quick but will suck up and hold a lot of heat! Maybe you won’t have to re-light with a torch for a week :grin:
What do you plan to use this for - a vehicle or a stationary application? I am really interested in a variable nozzle that can be adjusted for different velocities. Yesterday I hooked up my generator that had not been run in maybe 10 years to my wood gas Tracker. that engine was about 25 cubic inch displacement and my Tracker is 96 cubic inch displacement. It started right up and ran for maybe 5 minutes before good gas was not being made anymore because of insufficient velocity. If I had an adjustable nozzle it might still be running!

P.S. I think you might try to determine the lowest position you think your nozzle plug will ever be and take the top tapered part off at that point to make it flat.

3 Likes

That is the wall thickness.
With the plug level with the nozzle it gives a 39 mm (1.5649") diameter opening if you work out the area of the doughnut.
In wide open position it gives a 65 mm (2.5") opening

2 Likes

This is the video that inspired the nozzle

7 Likes

Werner,

Great idea, building nice…

Don, Kristijan, and all…

So many inspiration in those builds of ya all guy’s

:thumbsup:

3 Likes

Hi Werner, Nice work on your charcoal nozzle! I am concerned that the angle of the funnel is too steep and it will end up melting. The cast iron plug is nice and the fact it moves up and down will be a benefit in breaking up slag. However, the charcoal lodged between the steep wall of the inveted cone and where the air enters will get extremely hot. Now, look at the set up for the forge. That is the nozzle design I’d suggest. The air comes up, hits the charcoal, gets to 3000F and there is no metal around to damage. Slag falls to the side and adds to any insulation over the metal surrounding tha air nozzle. This is basically the design of the new nozzle I’m using on my Ford Ranger.
Gary in PA

6 Likes

Hi Gary, My 1991 Ranger 2.3L will run (sorta) with a bad fuel pump. She was in bad shape when I got her. Bad mass air flow sensor, bad fuel pump, bad plug wires, loose EGR fitting was sucking air in and confusing the O2 sensor, other things I can’t remember … Had to drive home about 45 miles on back roads. Wasn’t fun but I made it. This 2.3L setup of Ford’s is crazy for its ‘limp home’ abilities but can be confusing too. My approach was to check sensors first. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

**I have an 89 2.3 ranger ,it won’t run except I pu

I HotWired fuel pump direct to battery ,new fuel
Pump no difference.**

Does your ford have a pressure regulater on the injector rail with a return line to the tank? A pressure gage might tell you a lot. Good luck.

Gary,
You can clear the codes with a elm327 scanner and the forscan software, as well as reset the computer data.

I got a BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices off amazon for 22 bucks, and I also had to get a bluetooth dongle for my computer. I used the forscan software (on a windows virtual machine) with it to reprogram the keys on my '04 exploder as the battery had died while changing the water pump on it, and it wouldn’t start at all because the PATS system computer locked me out because it no longer recognized the keys. You can find cheaper ones, but I also read some of the cheaper ones didn’t have all the connections wired. I don’t know how true that was and was under a time constraint, and not worth saving the 10 bucks to find out and costing me another 2 days.

I -assume- the device may not work with IOS devices as those use bluetooth low energy, and may not be compatible with the bluetooth on the elm327 device. I don’t know. I haven’t looked at it that closely. I haven’t even tried to use it with my android device. :slight_smile:

There is other software besides forscan. Forscan was just the only one that said it could do the PATS programming.

20 bucks is within my ‘it ain’t worth my time dinking around’ price range.

2 Likes

Gary,
How about an update on your Ford Ranger project including photos and description of your nozzle and any other changes since the videos. A new walk-around video would be nice. Thanks for all you have shared with us.

4 Likes

Dear Gary,
am I right and you showed a different or further developed gasifier at Argos according to the pictures?
May I ask about a description?
Many thanks and kind regards,
Til

2 Likes

Let me add to Tilman’s Questions…
How many miles did you use charcoal with your truck on your trip out?
Have you had any problems since changing the nozzle?
Thanks for bringing it to Argos!

3 Likes

Mr. Gary, I’ve been enjoying waynes start up a and drive video’s.
However, I’m leaning heavily toward the dark side for my next vehicle. I happen to have an old ranger in the yard.
I wonder if you would be so kind as to show a step by step start up and dive video on charcoal?

5 Likes

Hi Everybody:
Some time ago I submitted, in private to Gary, the attached interpretation drawing of this topic for his feedback.
I got nothing yet. I hope Gary is doing fine, sure he is in some new project that will surprise us all at any time…as usual. So here I am attaching my interpretation drawing of this topic with no feedback from the designer. I am open for comments, suggestion, corrections, modifications, etc…for the sake of all of us.
Eddy Ramos (from Argentina).

10 Likes

Hi @glgilmore how about some feed back. On the drawing. Looking forward to see you in your white 2004 Ford truck at Argos this year.
Bob

1 Like

As always Eddie , nice clear and easy to follow drawing , i guess the only item missing that i can see will be the nozzle dimensions , i think he used the forge type puck nozzle , but will wait to hear from the master himself .
Dave

3 Likes

holy moly Eddie, I did not know you put that together. I really like your style of drawing with the ability to easily understand what is going on. I’m jealous. That is an old design too. The new one has the filter scaled down and located on the roof of the truck. I’ll get some pictures up so you can work your magic… Andy, I’ve got some time off this week so let me get the old pup up and running. I see the inspection ran out last month so need to get that taken care of. Thanks for the push. I feel it calling to me to get back on the road. Bob, the white truck is more on the side of rusty red. I need to fix it up better, but time… Too many ideas lead to too many projects which lead to frustration.
But still enjoying the trip. Now I have three grandsons that also cut into my time, but that is OK because they will only be young once.
Gary in PA

10 Likes

Gary,

So glad Eddie got your attention to update your project. I can’t wait to see the latest. I noticed that it looked quite different in the 2018 Argos photos compared with the somewhat earlier Youtube videos.

Your mention of grandsons brought this to mind: Finished a day of teaching, “a day wasted” | History Tech

Projects can become an obsession with negative consequences on those we love. It’s just too easy to have so much fun doing what we do that we end up neglecting those things which are more important.

But please don’t neglect to update us on your Ranger project!

5 Likes

Hi Gary.
I am very honored I got your attention on my rough drawing of your 04 Ford Ranger project.
A lot of guys and me, on this forum will greatley appreciate any update on this project.
Truly yours.
Eddy Ramos.

7 Likes

I 2nd the update request.

4 Likes