04 Ford Ranger on charcoal

Gary,

I stumbled upon this while doing OBDII research.

If you put a masterswitch on your truck and turn it off every night, it should reset your pcm and forget the injector setting so it will start and run in the morning on Gasoline.

Just a thought.

7 Likes

Don’t tell me it is that easy!?!?!? I’m away from home this week but will be anxious to try it out when I return. I have a vague recollection of this solution being mentioned in the past, but never followed through. This time I will.
Gary in PA

7 Likes

I think I just removed the negative cable, used a jumper wire from the positive to the negative cable to drain the caps for like 5 minutes. There is a whole startup procedure like turn the key to the on (not start position for 10 seconds, then start and idle it for 5-10 minutes. it resets -everything- including like shifting. i was thinking there was a way to reset just one part of it in the obdII software interface I was using, but I am not sure now…

3 Likes

Anxiously awaiting status updates on the Ranger, along with the upgrades to the Charcoal system
Tarek

4 Likes

Mr. Gilmore…any updates or info on this project?..I was very excited to see this article and Chris Seymour’s Van… my 2nd new project will involve my 2003 4.0 sport trac and my 2001 F150 4.6 based on your project.

4 Likes

Total Newb here and just a random try to help here, but i did look up burning vegitable oil to run engines and noticed a couple things (I’ll only speak in non tehcnicals as i am not an expert by any means) but there were two things around if he was adding oil (vegitable oil ever…? who knows. Could be even other oils)

1 i guess bio fules can be made by breaking up long polymer (or triglygerides) chains or something to that notion (to remove the gelling component and lighten viscosity of the oil) and even if you produce some bio fuel via veg oil refining, it can supposeldy only be cut in to deisel to a max of about 20% ??? Im going off of memory from a Youtuber gentalman who teaches science and DIY.

The other thing was if not refined i think it can Gel up an engine? Which maybe has cause the decreasing flow in gas flowing and finally no sparks to his/Gary’s spark plugs?

Sorry if my attempt to help GG was wasted time for anyone. I am not someone who knows engines very very well, just thinking because I recently read a bit into that topic and thought the timing was maybe just coinsidentally right for Gary. ?

Does anyone know anything about this geling up of oils or biofuels in engines and if he maybe burned some mixed oils or veg oil?

5 Likes

My Sister and brother in law who live in the UK use vegetable oil in there car and van , they pop into the local supermarket and buy brand new 1 litre bottles of Vegie oil a few dozen at a time push it out into the carpark in the trolley and fill up there and then and take what ever they cant get in home with them , no problem with gelling up as long as there is a heater on the fuel pipe to start up first thing in the morning they are good to go for the rest of the day .
I am about to try used Veggie oil on my tractor and a generator so will see how i get on with that i am also trying waste oil , i shall filter it well and mix it to make black diesel for said tractor and generator .
Dave

7 Likes

I run oil in my tractor a lot. Works fine. It does however form more junk on the injector since it doesent spray that fine, probably. But paired with woodgas… now thats a great combination.

Here oil got so expensive nowdays such practice isnt viable. I burn the used oil l get from friends but buying new oil for fuel makes no sence. Reason for the dramatic rise in price is, officialy, that most of it comes frou Ukraine and the production is compromised because of war. Well, l belived that untill Joni here sayd they got problems with all the surplus oil geting rancid… aint politic a bitch…

11 Likes

I think they might mean the same thing. One just sounds nicer.
Oil has to be stored properly or it does go rancid. If you keep the oil moving, you don’t need a facility that has the ‘proper’ storage for longer term storage. If anything was compromised say a facility, road, pipeline, it would limit overall production.

4 Likes