It's Alive! I took the MG for a ride today, but encountered a few problems.
I have a check valve that is not closing fully and allows some air to enter the system through my flare connections. I'll replace the check valve with a ball valve.
The gas ignited clear and hot with the piezo in just two minutes. Dummy me, the piezo igniter has a plastic body that quickly began to melt and burn inside the flare pipe after ignition. A quick clean flare is the only thing that was easy today.
Starting the engine was much harder than on my Toyota. It was hard to find stoich on this. Hopefully fixing the check valve will make it easier to get good gas tpo my mixer next time. Starting wasn't so bad on the MG once I found the magic spot on the valve --2 1/2 turns on a 6 turn gate valve. This will probably change when I fix the air leak.
Once I got the starting figured out, I played around with the controls for 30- 40 minutes trying to get a feel for the air mixing valve and timing adjuster, in order to give good idle and acceleration, then I went for a ride. About 5 miles from home the Temperature on the cyclone outlet suddenly went up from 200 to 300F so I headed for home. I was able to drive in 4th gear on the level, but on this winding back road I never went much over 35 mph.The temp didn't go up anymore than 300 on the way home but it is a good thing I turned around.
When I got back I discovered that a short threaded brass bulkhead fitting had fallen out of one end of the tuyere and the the reactor was suckiing air directly through the side of the barrel--not good. The barrel was glowing around this hole and flames started licking out when I shut the engine off. I turned the flare fan on just enough to suck the flame back into the barrel, then grabbed a handful of refractory cement to plug up the breach. BTW, the thermocouple gauge quit working on the drive, but came back on when I got home and was reading 1500F. The thermocouple lies directly under
the copper nozzle. With the cement patch in place, I shut down the flare fan and the temp started dropping. I'm sure glad that I made it home and patched things up without catching me or something else on fire.
It is going to be a while until I get back to this since my 1987 daily driver truck failed inspection yesterday and the repair list is long. I'm just happy that I got a little closer to making the MG road worthy.
I'll post pictures when I empty the reactor and survey the damages.
Oh yes, one more thing. My giant sparkler didn't work for lighting the charcoal on this one like it does on my little gasifier. I resorted to a squirt of flammable lubricant (like WD40) and my torch.