2003 F-150 v6 Wood Powered Truck

Howdy Sean,
Thanks again for the pics.
On the next one, I’ll be using square vessels after the gasser.
What I’m considering right now are issues with draining the condensates and problems you have had to deal with as a result of keeping it all in the bed.
I’m thinking the enclosure shouldn’t be to difficult.
Just gotta spend some time on it, after I’ve got a working unit.
Cash flo is a major issue right now…Not to mention a limited time to complete :slight_smile:
Gotta get this thing usable soon.
All the best
TerryL

Hi Terry,
I just drilled a hole in the bed where I wanted the drains to be and welded a drop down pipe on the container. Same for the filter just as easy as having them under the truck. I do run two seperate condansate tanks rather then one. Each one holds 5 gal. Of water Regards Sean

Okay Its pouring rain in Florida today!!! I wanted to spend my Memorial Day weekend driving on wood so I drove in the rain all day. Testing the new intake manifold on the f-150. The truck ran great and the manifold is working well. Big difference between this metal one and the old plastic one. Cruising at 65mph and above 75mph. Averaged 1 pound of wood to the mile. I did have to fiddle and reset the computer to get the truck to accept the new intake. The truck ran very poorly on both gasoline and woodgas before this was done. Put over 200miles down yesterday and today will report back after 1000 miles when it needs to be cleaned out. Happy Memorial Day Sean

hey Sean sounds good, that aluminum intake looks like it has longer runners, wondering if you noticed better response from the gassifier the larger intake plenum volume should help with low end torque. ya that adaptive software on those odb2 systems can be a real pain sometimes. wish i wasn’t feeling so crummy id be working on mine.

Hey Sean,

Thanks for the report. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hope the storm misses you and Woody.

BBB

Hi Eric,
Yes the runners are quite longer on this intake and the gasifier does respond better with it. Normally I drive with overdrive disabled to keep enough pull on the unit yesterday I was able to maintain speed with a strong head wind and use overdrive. The problem with obd2 and low end torque is at 500 to 1000 rpms the computer wants timing set at 0 degrees This is not good for woodgas the higher the rpms go the more the computer advances timing. From 0-30mph the truck is very slow from 30-70mph she screams. Also Ford put an intake runner control system on the truck where the computer opens and closes a second set of ports if you look in the pics. above you’ll see 12 holes in the lower manifold 6 of them are open all the time the other 6 are controlled by the computer I didn’t like this so I removed the linkage and hooked them up to manual cables so I could open them as needed. Hope you feel better soon BBB Sean

Good Morning Wayne,
Yep the storm was here alright lots of wind and rain never got out of control though. Its good to see rain for a change we have been so long with out it.
BBB Sean

that’s what i suspected Sean. now if you could just get a chip burned for that truck that will trick the ecm into keeping the timing advanced all the time you’d be in business. i would think the extra intake volume would act as a sort of storage for the wood gas. my instructor from my diesel classes was a ford master tech and he had that exact intake and was explaining how ford used it to increase bottom end torque.

ya this tooth ace sucks major. felt good enough to mess with my new welder for a few, going to have to pulse weld the sheet metal with the flux core wire but i think i can make it work. might have to go to .023 with gas but idk if i want to lug that tank and the welder out of the basement every time i want to weld something. need to get a plasma cutter as well. found the ones Wayne uses but i gotta wait a few before i fork over the dough.

BBB Eric

Hi Eric,
I am working on a new computer system now that will accept woodgas and gasoline. This will allow the driver to flip one switch and go from gasoline to wood
the computer will do all the rest of the work such as timing advance,air to fuel ratios and grate shaking. Also no check engine lights will trigger so areas with emissions tests will not be an issue.

Be careful using flux core wire I have had a hard time getting it to seal up airtight. I switched to gas a long time ago seals up much easier and looks better too.
Take Care of that tooth BBB Sean

Hi Terry L
I was washing out the f-150 filter system yesterday and remembered you had some questions on drop downs so I took a few pics. for ya.
Hope this helps let me know if you need more. BBB Sean

Hi Sean,
Thanks for the pics!
By all mans send more… I’ll be happy to see whatever you are willing to share! :slight_smile:
I’m sketching up a cooler/tank concept.
gonna send a pic or 2 when I figure out how to do it.
All he best
TerryL

yay i get a root canal in a couple weeks at least im felling better, priced out a tank seems the local bucheights is cheaper that the 2 other places in town. think a 40cf tank was 200 with a fill then 26 or 28 for a fill after that. .023 wire is 12 for a 2lb spool. now if i can get a better price for 12’ pipe than $100 for 18inches! guess im gonna be checking scrap yards

Hi Eric. You may want to search Google for Mechanical Contractors in your area. They will likely have a boneyard of pipe drops in their yard. That is what I did and walked away with my firetube for $0. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Hi Eric,
I don’t know how many hours you are planning on working on your system per. day or week. So I will tell ya what works for me when I start a new system I put in 8-12 hours a day of work in. When I start I don’t stop so welding gas can get used up rather quickly. To do this much welding I use a 125cf to get started after that is empty I size down to an 80cf to finish. Bottles are expensive craigslist is a good source for them just be careful what your buying make sure there are no markings on the bottle neck these markings are proof of ownership. Also check the date for current certification. This is a good topic I will put up some pics. later. You will probably need a stock of .023 and .030 welding wire the 23 is great for lighter metal and 30 is perfect for the thick steel. Just my thoughts and what works good for me.

I too have had problems with finding firetube very limited I have had some luck at the steel yard sometimes there are cutoffs of the right length for a good price. Other sources are well drillers and bridge builders will use pipe as concrete forms temporary and remove them once the concrete is set. BBB Sean

Hi Sean,
I noticed that you made 90 degree bends on the front of your cooling rack pipes. I was thinking of doing that myself. How does that work for cleanout? Is it easier?
Do you have any pics of your cooling rack system? I would be interested in seeing them.
Lou

Hi Lou,
I started doing the 90 sweeps a while back and it does help keep the carbon from building up. I prefer the long sweeps over hard 90’s it helps lower the velocity and drop out more water and carbon as the fuel makes it’s way to the engine. If you go to a local muffler shop they should be able to help you with this. I have used both 1 1/2" and 2" emt electrical metallic tubing 2" works much better can be found at home depot or lowe’s or maybe a scrap yard. Not all piping will bend correctly I would stick with the emt. The vertical manifolds are made with 3" emt. If you need more info. on this just ask happy to help Sean

Sean, you just made Featured Project of the Month, congratulations. If anyone deserves it you do. Can you give us an update on your truck and some juicy details of the day-to-day operations?

I agree Chris. Sean is not only an accomplished builder he is very helpful to us neophites.

Hi Chris, I am honored and flattered so Thank You All very much. Not used to being in the spotlight lol. It’s been a long road on this woodgas adventure I feel very blessed and privileged to drive on wood. Also very safe with two woodburners parked at the house and having the choice to buy gasoline or not. Even with how many miles I have driven still can’t help myself to smile and laugh at gas stations as I fly by them.

Still making progress with the obd2 system this is a tough nut to crack but I am working it out and I won’t stop til its right. Almost done with the first circuit for advancing the timing on demand. I don’t know what else to say other than BURN BABY BURN. If you or anyone has any questions they would like to ask please do I am here to help. Regards Sean

Sean, being an industrial electrician, I have been bending EMT for over 20 years and was admiring your bends. I was curious how it aided in cleanout and function.
I noticed you mentioned working with your OBD2 on several occasions; just what are you doing with them to improve performance? Have you had problems or are you just looking to improve things?