2003 F-150 v6 Wood Powered Truck

Hi Lou,
I believe the long swept 90’s breath better than the sharp turn 90. A hard turn 90 can trap carbon this can be a pain to clean out.The long sweeps allow the carbon to pass through. Also when building my cooler I don’t have to weld on any of the pipes big time saver here. I was in the electrical field for 8 years had to get out of it when the economy crashed. There is nothing with obd2 that is going to stop you from running on wood. My two main issues are the timing is not advanced at idle without this accelerations can be slow and dangerous to pull into an intersection safely. Also without timing advanced you may not be able to run in overdrive as doing so will cause you to lose speed. This is not a problem with the little ranger only the f-150 suffers this issue. The check engine light is on this may or may not limit the use of newer vehicles in areas with emissions tests. Aside from that just trying to improve things

Hi all
Another wonderful day driving on wood at 70mph still breaking in the intake manifold so far shows no signs of
needed maintenance. Over 1000mile mark BBB Sean

Hey Sean,
Your an inspiration to many of us and your willingness to share so freely your hard learned lessons puts you right up there with Mr. Wayne. I look forward to your future posts and hope to be amoung the wood burners soon.

Harvest in circles
John

Hi John,
Thank you for the kind words deeply appreciated :slight_smile:
And I too look forward with your future posts
Regards Sean

Update on the f-150 approaching 2,000 miles with the new metal intake still no signs of power loss. Did some low speed driving as well as high speed. In the low speed video the gasifier was lit cold and only driven at 5mph or idle speeds to simulate driving in the city in stop and go traffic.BBBSean

Low speed driving

High speed driving

hi Sean
pretty impressive does the gasifier make tar at those low speeds
do you have a wk style or another design
thanks
tom

Hi Thomas,
This unit is a prototype of a highly modified WK design as well as the rest of the system. I have never made tar with it and I am also convinced it never will. In the near future I am planning to convert another truck with this design and document the build in detail so I can properly release the data to the site. BBB Sean

thanks Sean
I want to start my downsized unit soon my modified china unit works but i’m wanting to get a mobil unit pretty bad
just so i can say i can
thanks
Tom

Hey Sean,

Nice videos , thanks for posting.

Send some of the rain this way , we need it now that I got my hay in .

Thanks Wayne,
A month ago I was begging for rain!!! Now it just doesn’t stop. I will do the best I can to send it north. I have some last minute painting to get done on the big generator before it’s finished. And this rain is holding me up. Sean

Okay I changed the hay in the filter, cleaned out the intake,(even though I really don’t think it needed it.), Emptied the ash bin, washed everything down inside and out, Quick Vac/seal check and proceeded to cut lots of wood. Didn’t have time to weigh it so I just kept filling the truck until it couldn’t hold anymore. Probably overkill we shall see. I am planning to depart to Alabama in the A.M. all on wood. Also got hit with a minor cold a few days ago that didn’t slow me down to much. Mr. Keith I will be seeing you soon. BBB Sean

P.S. On another note I really miss my old rusty gmc today. I am probably overworking this vehicle the 8 ft bed is really nice for long trips and the 3/4 ton over half ton is money well spent.

Hey Sean ,

Looking forward to the trip, dive safe .

I just talked to Sean on the phone, he is on 475 south of Atlanta. Truck is running smooth!!

Hi Sean!
I’m sure you have been thanked hundreds of times for your excellent contributions to the woodgas community, but, please let me thank you again for all of the great ideas!
I do have a question about your cooling rack design-- if I may-- since you have two vertical 3" manifolds in the middle of the truck , instead of just one in the center,does this mean that you connect ea
ch side from the heat exchanger to the cooling rack? Does the heat exchanger have two seperate exits , or, does it have one exit and then ‘t’ off to each side? I hope I have explained my question correctly–Thank you again,
Ron

Hi Ron,
First off THANK YOU for the kind words!!!
Good eye yes I changed a few things around on the cooler design. There are 2-3" emt tubes that enter and exit the Heat x-changer and 2-3" gas feed lines are maintained to the two condensate tanks in the rear of the truck. Also the cooler rack is made from 2" EMT 4 per side. I took the 2" tubes to a muffler shop and had the 90 bent. Regards Sean

Hi All,
The following is the obd2 hack list to date not a final fix but will get you running smooth and not ruin any sensors those can be expensive.
On your model truck pay close attention to all sensors mounted in the fresh air intake system double check they can be hidden. On ford models
I have the mass air flow and air temp sesnor both of these need to remain on the fresh air side of the system. Next one is the IAC valve you don’t have to move this valve just block off the opening with paper gasket. This is for idle control on gasoline you will not need this on woodgas because you are going to install your own manual idle control. I have experimented with turning all these sensors on and off resetting the computer and found it is best to just plumb them in and leave them be. Any questions I am happy to help and can post pics videos if needed. Regards Sean

Yes Sean, This is what I’ve ended up doing.
I made a block out of plywood for my IAC. It is just sitting on my valve cover still electrically connected. I’ll probably end up with gasket like you did.
The Ranger will throw a code after 2nd start up and about 25 miles. I haven’t looked into what the code is, but the engine don’t care even though the advance is locked at 30 deg. I should say that if I switch back over to gasoline it runs very rich. It was mentioned to me the code might have to do with a lean condition(no gasoline). Makes sense.
Terry

Hi Terry,
It has been so long since I have had my laptop plugged in to check the light does stay on but your right the truck doesn’t care.
The computer will detect anything out of the normal such as engine misfires,lean mixtures, rich mixtures, iac not working properly, maf not working properly. some codes will be listed as manufacturer defined (the only way to get an answer on that is the manufacturer no help here).
The obd2 system is not perfect but it does run well enough and reliable. Sean

Hi All
Good old gasifier no.8 is still running sweet put down 150miles in the last 2 days. Raised the bar for fastest full sized truck with a v6 to 80mph. on level ground no tail wind. Sorry no video this time I don’t think shooting film at these speeds is a smart idea. Wayne and Chris I promise I won’t go any faster unless I am on a closed track. H.W.W.T.F (added fast) Peter hurry up you gotta catch me :stuck_out_tongue: Sean

Very impressive, a naturally aspirated, V6 full size truck! Now this is how records are broken! BBB