2013 Indiana Woodgas Meetup | Argos, IN | May 17-19

Here’s a couple videos. I’ve got one more coming with the parade footage.

Thanks for posting the videos Chris! I wish I could’ve made it out there. Looks like you guys had a great time!

BBB Tim J

Yes Perry, that’s what I wanted.
Thanks!

Fellas, I added about 300 of Dan Callahan’s pictures to the event page (sorry Steve U.) Those with decent internet etc. have a look here: https://plus.google.com/events/gallery/covdgn3aol8svm59qpgukc8lff8

A few of the best “people shots” follow.

Parade photos. Also a nice shot of the campfire, very fitting for a woodgas event.

1 Like

WOW Chris ,

That is a lot of pictures and videos!

Thanks !

You gave me, wife and a lot of other folks alibis for the whole weekend.

For those of you at Argos that asked about that little LCD projector you saw me use, they now have one for i-phone owners. http://www.woot.com/offers/3m-projector-sleeve-for-iphone-4-4s?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=21af12c01a-Daily+Digest+-+20130601+-+Woot&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c5ca76da11-21af12c01a-284359394#tracked
For those not familiar with WOOT, they normally sell one product per day starting at 12 AM CST and going until 12PM CST or until sold out. This one also can be used as a spare battery/charger for your phone.
Don Mannes

Does someone have a total of how many woodgas vehicles there were there ?? I parked off where I planned to sleep and never moved my truck so didn’t participate in parades etc. Just a little fire play one night. I slept like a baby there compared to home and didn’t want to give up my spot. Of course I stayed up real late and got up early but was real cozy in the back of that truck. ML

Ten trucks, a tractor, mower and a generator. Fun times!

Chris, I got to see the lawn tractor go by one time but never counted the vehicles. I’m glad all those (you) folks showed up … Yeh, Pile of fun … I’m driving my truck in a parade in Mineral Point in 3 hours. I just discovered a gasoline leak under it that I will not be able to repair. It is not major but STINKS. It is where someone hooked plastic tube to rotten steel line. I just patched up all my woodgas pipework from the backfires in western Indiana and am ready to go … This truck is 2WD and does not have low range so I will probably let it coast down the hill and let the smoke drift back out of my nozzles and freak the folks out … The parade is called “Art in Motion” … :o) … PS, you better get “re” building soon !!! No Excuses Accepted !!! Go OBD2 this time …

Just wanted to give everyone a long overdue thank you for sharing my trucks first start up. I really enjoyed sharing it all with you and appreciate all the compliments etc. I can humbly say I am glad people took the interest they did, not for my sake or ego, but rather that they maybe were inspired, (and I believe many were) As I said I thank everyone, but I especially thank Gary G. first for pushing the issue (way to go Gary! Glad I made your friendship)! Wayne for being daring enough to light a unit he knew zilch about (it could of blew up in our faces littered shrapnel (sp) all over or better yet launched like Sputnick and landed over on the cattle barns) Mike of course for letting me bug him the many times I have on the phone and internet for a couple of years now, and for taking the first ride. (My wife was suppose to get it but she couldn’t make it along with me) And Terry G. who has always given me his ear when I bent it.
Just to update I have been very busy since getting home. Had to get my garden in, and my crops planted besides keeping the business going. I did get a chance when I got home to modify my air mixing valve arm, making it longer and thus more responsive for fine tuning. I went to refire the truck, and couldn’t keep a flare lit. I then noticed the paint burning off my ash can and smoke coming out the door. So that fancy wrap around door with the destaco clamp latches is going to need an overhaul. Mike L. and I talked and I think we both agree it is just to close to the grate where the hot gas comes off to be tight to the housing like it is. I think what I will do now is make a frame that stands off the main housing 1.5 to 2 inches, flange that and put a boiler type door on that. I think that will help shed the heat better. I can then also put an interior stand off shield on the door also. My fiberglass self adhesive tape impregnated with high temp silicone just didn’t “fly” The silicone just melted down, and didn’t reharden at all. it is still sticky weeks later. So I think when I get the new door built I will still have to come up with a sealing idea that omits using silicone. Mike asked what brand I used thinking maybe that was the problem. Has anyone noticed some brands are better than others? I used a “Red Devil” brand. Maybe the actual “Permatex” brand is better?
Anyway thanks all again. I wil keep you all posted on progress. I can’t wait to take it for a longer ride, and rest assured my “first lady” will get her first woodgas truck ride. Believe me she can’t wait!
David S

David, good to hear an update.
I don’t think there will be a good silicone/sealant to take those temps. If you weld in another plate to take up on the gap, I have had good luck with ordinary clay. Earth will take all the temp you can throw at it. You need tight tolerance though because it doesn’t flex.

David, I used to use auto body putty and it would carmelize and just harden but held up well. I also have used standard furnace cement but you have to keep the rain away from it. Give some thought to just adding a bung in the lower center of what you have so you can scrape out stuff with a hoe and then just drill a series of holes around the door and just squash the door shut with sheet metal screws and washers. Obviously enlarge the holes in the door part so they actually tighten. Saturate your current fiber gasket with furnace cement and fire it up to toast it and then re-tighten the screws. Just a thought and can be done in an hour or two rather than a whole rebuild of the door which will take you a year :o) . If you do rebuild the whole door you can just weld around the holes. For the occasional grate check you can just remove the screws and pry the door off and re-grease. Mike

Richard Cooper, Thanks for taking that picture of my truck in Argos and posting it here. Now I know I actually made it there and camped there. I also know I remembered to bring a double rotor unit for folks to look at. I forgot it the previous year (stroke ?). Once I got my camping spot I didn’t move the truck again. I slept like a baby in that spot 2 nights … Thanks again, Mike

Hello Dave; We need to get together sometime; would like to see what you finally ended up with. About caulking/sealing. I go to Manards in the paint supply. I believe it is “White Lightening” brand. It comes in a “silicone” or a “latex”. The silicone is like all silicone and good for about 600 deg.(?). The “latex” holds up to a lot higher temp. (Don’t want to say what because I would be guessing) The latex does get hard when it dries. If you break the seal and want to re do it I have to take a wire brush on a grinder to get it off. For parts that don’t come apart very often and are very hot I have use the latex alot. I have only used the silicone where the temp. are moderate= such as my hopper lid.

Tom,
Just caught your post today. I agree we need to get together sometime. I have not done much with the truck over the summer as I have been way to busy with work. I did decide to frame out my door and get it so the cover is actually about 3 or 4 inches off the main container. I think that will help a lot with shedding heat. I also can make a double layer door then, one to act as an inside heat shield, and the outer one will actually be where the seal is. I will get back at it here once harvest gets going and my business slows down.
David S

Dave, Tom
I look forward to the day when perhaps there is a Wisconsin wood gas get together. There seems to be enough of us. Count me in.

Wes,
I have thought about having one here multiple times. I would like to have one where guys are getting together and doing some actual building, etc. Seems like way to busy of a world we live in though. (myself included)
Hope your well up there. Drop me a line an let me know how your project is coming.
David S

David, Wes, You are actually centrally located enough to pull it off. Just put us all in the field with a porta potty. I didn’t take a tour of your house but Sue did. I’m in the SW corner. I talked with the local guy 2 years ago about renting our fair grounds in Mineral Point but he passed away last year. Enjoy the Packer game …

I was wondering if there is going to be another Woodgas meetup in Indiana in 2014? If so I was wondering what the dates are?