2013 Indiana Woodgas Meetup | Argos, IN | May 17-19

WOW!!!

I don’t know where to start !!

I wanted to be the first to congratulate Mr. Ron, wife Rhonda and family for organizing and hosting a great event . I now realize that line is long and have to get up very early to get in line.

The wife and I went to the event a day early to help Ron get set up .   When I ask if there was anything I could do the reply was , nope everything set up.     Sunday morning at the end of the event Ron and company had all the area clean and looked as if there had never been an event   

Ron, Rhonda and children work with the precision and discipline of a small army and I think may have hosted the biggest gathering of wood gas vehicles and machines in North America history.

I will not try to name and thank all that made the event a success because for every name I mention I will have left out dozens . But I would like to give a tip of my hat to Gary Gilmore for all he has done. Each time I pasted where he was there was always a crowd soaking up his knowledge and experience.

Also thanks to Dave Siedschlag for bringing a new untested gasifier to the event . This would be like Henry Ford demonstrating his first Model T to the whole world without ever firing one up before. With in two or three minutes after lighting the gasifier it was sustaining a high volume invisible flare and then the starting of the truck shortly after.

I think also in order would be a tip of the hat to Carl Zinn. By the time his trip is over he may have lodged two thousand miles on wood.

Another tip goes to a gentleman that was not able to make the trip but because of his wisdom and experience others may have been able to drive there on wood . Steve Unruh.

There were many that drove as far as Minnesota, New England and Neil Ball all the way from Tampa Florida. What dedication ! For the ones that don’t know my friend Neil he is wheelchair bound and came alone over two thousand miles for the event.

Please keep in mind the event would have never taken place without all the great members of Gary’s charcoal group , the Yahoo woodgas group and the DOW site .

Thanks Again
Wayne

Here is the video I took and put together of the memorable event of the first firing of David Siedschlag’s woodgas truck. An outstanding sucess story!

Don Mannes

Hi Wayne, Sounds like you made it home OK. While I was gone a woodchuck burrowed into my shop. I’m fighting it off now. Shoving rocks in the hole etc etc etc. I knew I smelled one today while I was working. Gotta get back to my rat killin … ML

great to see that all had a another great event. wish i could have made it. maybe next year.

Hey Don ,

Thanks for posting the video of starting Dave’s gasifier. I just realized after watching the video I only put enough wood in for the flaring and starting the motor . ( just in case more char was needed ) The first hour of operation the gasifier will use about three times the amount of wood compared to after the char bed has been established.

Here are a few more pictures of the Argos gathering.
Thanks to all who came, and helped ,especially thoes who drove in on wood and Gary Gilmore with his charcoal maker.
I dont think I had that much fun since last years event.
Carl Zinn deserves a special award for driving the farthest on wood I think over 850 miles one way then on to meet a relative quite an accomplishment!!!
Thanks John Cleveland for letting me drive your Ford, I loved every minuite of it.
I think there was 12 woodgas vehicles that came including Jeff Davis with his wood powered wheelhorse it was great!!
!, The gate of the Marshall Co Fairgrounds
2,Wayne, Neil, Mike
3, Unloading the fire wood
4, Andy and Gary charging the smokeless char maker

1,Chris building his char bed
2,Jeff and his charcoal powered wheelhorse
3,Eddie
4, Abby,Aaron, Ronda, Andy, Sarah

1 Like

Still recovering from an overload of info, a great time and having to get back to work after the fun. We had an awesome time, met and talked to some of the really interesting people and want to finish off our build. The charcoal version was much more interesting than we thought. We’re only 3 hours from Gary Gilmore so we can follow up with him on that. George & Max

Hi All
Just wanted to say I had a great time at Argo’s. And what a great group of people. Only Bad thing was I gained 20 lbs eating all that good food those wonderful ladies cooked for us.
Ron and Ronda thanks so much for a great weekend and putting it all together . And just to have 3 days of talking with people that know what I am talking about when I say woodgas “PRICELESS”.

A few pictures from Argos,

1 Like

Fantastic!
Thanks for posting the pics of the event for us to enjoy.I just came in the door after a 40 mile round trip wtth my woodgas truck and put the feet up and read through the posts.
Did anybody video Mike and Chris playing? I enjoyed the Ring of fire song.

Made it home about 8 tonight. 1800 mi total, but the last 200 were on gasoline. Did great all the way to Effingham, then headed south into a fierce headwind, and hilly southern IL country. Trying to blend it some dino eventually ruined my dimmer switch. Nothing left to do but hard wire the fuel pump and go!

Special thanks to the Lemler family for all the effort they put into this historic event. Chris and Wayne are my heros too. More new friends met in person was a special treat as well as seeing all those beautiful trucks. Not enough hours to get everything done, but still a great time.

1 ,Flare from Mike LaRosa’s trailer unit very nice colors
2, The Woodgas Band
3, Abby ,Lisa, Ronda, Sarah, a few of the ladies that made Neil gain 20#

1 Like

awesome… wish i could had been there.
And congrats to David!

I’ve added about 40 photos to the G+ event page: https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/gallery/covdgn3aol8svm59qpgukc8lff8

If you want to add some of your own, click the “add photos” button.

Here are a few of the best. I’ll be posting videos later.

1 Like

Hi ChrisKY
Thanks for these.
Bigger Dog Google does not want to play nice with my Yahoo based systems - I can only get 11-12 picures to download with each re-fresh attempt. Some the same. Some different. Only ~20 differnt pivures viewable that way. Just a heads up.

I’m sending you an E-mail requesting info on site personal Blog management. Thanks.

Regards
Steve Unruh

Could someone please post the pictures of all of us parked on the lawn after the parade?

Hi Steve,

You can also flip through the album one at a time. Of course that will wait for each to download at larger size.

Terry,

I’ve got a bit of video of that but no photos. I’ll have a few more pics in a couple days (CD is in the mail - thanks Dan Callahan). Will post more then.

Hi Terry,
Are these what your looking for.
I also have video but don’t know how to post.

Here’s some more.

1 Like