2015 Indiana Woodgas Meetup | Argos, IN | May 29-31

I booked a room at the comfort inn for fri and sat nights.

Chris I am planning on coming with my wife and daughter we will bring our musical instruments and I will be towing my wood gas truck if all goes well we are also planning on camping in camper looking forward to seeing you all l am not sure on food at this time as we will be traveling quiet a distance

2 Likes

So, will anybody be bringing some ramps long enough to get my mower off my truck? I donā€™t have any that long.

Hey Andrew .

If it is not too heavy we can use the same ramps we used to get Marvins front end loader of his truck last year . ( several strong folks )

3 Likes

Well, I wanted to go to Argos with my wood truck this year, but it seems like I wonā€™t be able to make it. My mom prayed for me a month or two ago to get more work, and I have been swamped. I have been too busy working in the last four weeks to touch my gasifier. I did rebuild the bed on my truck to fit it and started building a platform to mount the gasifier to, but havenā€™t made any progress on the unit yet. I did finish the guts of the heat exchanger minus the inlet and outlets.

I just met a fellow this week who wants to teach me his business so he can sell it to me in three years. He has built it as far as he can take it alone, and he wants to retire gracefully. Iā€™ll be working full time permanently if the arrangement works out, and Iā€™ll only have a few evenings to work on the gasifier, but most of the time itā€™ll be like tonight: working well past sundown till 8:30.

Sing a song about the heartlandā€¦

2 Likes

My trailer has an attached ramp tail gate might be able to back it down on to the trailer then drive off the trailer. How tall is your bed?

Jeff

Thanks,Jeff, My tailgate is about 34" from ground. Itā€™s not a big deal, I jusyt thought if others were bringing ramps for their mowers It would save me buying or making some.

Bring it on Andrew. We can get it off :grinning:

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure there are a lot of people getting ready to go to Argos and maybe i am late with this posting. A couple of suggestions. Oneā€” you can buy poly feed bags from any ā€œfeed millā€. They come in 50# or 100# sizes. My mill charged 45 and 65 cents per bag. I got the 50, but I think the 100 would work better. They are woven poly so two things ā€” your wood if not already dry will not dry in these bags, but neither will the wood get wet if it rains on the bags.
Along with this first suggestion my second one is you go on the internet and learn ā€œhow to tie a millerā€™s knotā€. It has been used for years to tie all sorts of flower sacks, feed bags etc. Easy to do, after you get the hang, and holds bags closed and easy to untie. You will need some ā€œbinder twineā€ or ā€œbaling string/twineā€. you wonā€™t want to buy this, ā€” it comes in 9000 ft rolls for probably $20, but if you talk to the feed mill they have a roll open that they use to tie feed bags. For a dollar or so, he will probably sell you 50 or 100 ft. If you know any farmers ask them for bags or any ā€œusedā€ baling string. Might give it to you By the way it takes about 15 inches of twine to tie a sack.TomC

One thing to watch on those woven feed sacks - they disintegrate in sunlight. I stored some in a greenhouse over the summer once, and when I went to pick them up I got handfuls of plastic shreds. The wood had to be completely sorted from the plastic and re-bagged.

1 Like

The 100# bags are older than Sin. I got feed for my cows in them and I havenā€™t had cows in 15 years. I have used them for picking up grass clippings and a few have had wood stored in them since last fall. I do admit that I havenā€™t had an excuse to set them out in direct sunlight for months at a time.TomC

I like using the 50 pound plastic fertilize sacks . They are strong and seem to last a long time even in the sun and weather . I have some I may have been using over and over for 8-10 years .

I fill them about 3/4 and it allows enough of the sack left over to fold over the top to keep the rain out. Usually about 10-15 pounds per sack that can be handled with one hand ā€¦

I echo Chris on the woven feed sacks . They will fall to piece in a while .

Here in the southeast we have had a few days of dry weather and my outside chunk pile is drying fast . The wife and I have been bagging and storing about a dozen bags daily for the last week .

Yes Mr. Tom , When I was a kid all the feed and fertilize sacks were 100# . I donā€™t see them any more and glad of it . !!

On another note . We have been working double time to get to where we can turn loose for Argos and did get the garden in yesterday

BBB

7 Likes

I guess I was all wrong about what I said about getting ready for Argos. I apologize if I mislead anyone. TomC

Hi Mr. Wayne thank you for the video. Looks like Lisa is doing a good job. We have our garden tilled and planted for this season. Maybe next year I can get Ronda to till for me. :frowning:
Here is a pic of the last batch of wood chunks for Argos.
This will make 20 boxes for this year.
Ron L.

5 Likes

Hi Ronā€¦no one can appreciate you bringing wood for us to get home on more than I. The distance I travel it is so important to have the wood for the trip home. You made it possible for us to make it home last year all on wood. Will be returning the wood box you sent home with us last year, I know there is a cost to everything and appreciate all you do for us in Argoā€™s.

Wayneā€¦smooth transition jumping on the draw bar and never missing a moment in the videoā€¦lol. What would we do without the girls. Good job lisa

Gary

Oh ā€¦by the way Lisa, was you wearing your seat belt. Just kidding, looking forward to seeing you guys in Argoā€™s.

2 Likes

Hi Gary I am glad you enjoyed the chunks, no need to return the boxes.,Last week I had to destroy 50 of them or there will be too many to deal with!!

Hi Ron, Iā€™m looking forward to using your wood on the return trip too. Iā€™ve only had ā€œvinillaā€ all year, looking forward to some ā€œchocolateā€.

Carlā€¦I usually have neopolitanā€¦a variety
Thanks Ronā€¦will leave it at home and use it for something.