great video.........I am especially fond of the guy in the red shirt.......hahaha
update: that gasifier worked well and produced great gas as you can see. We shut it down that evening and let it smother itself out. I hauled it home to Alabama the next day without opening it. I was a little concerned that 70 mph would reignite some char but it was fine. I don't remember that date, but 2 days ago we opened it up again to prep it for a demo yesterday during a class. We found out then that it had been making its own char, but it had made a little tar. Most of the tar was concentrated on the venturi/asperator that Larry came up with at the top suggesting that his recirculation idea was in fact working. The tars were condensing on the "cold" inlet air pipes. That was encouraging. It may be that he has come up with a way to deal with tars more efficiently and actually be able to use more of them as fuel rather than running them off into a collection tank=energy in the wood that is not being used=more miles per pound and less need for space for the unit. We need to do a lot more testing. I am looking for an older junker engine to test with.
After opening it up we found some condensation----water---in the bottom of the barrel. Obviously we need a way to drain condensate. Also, we suspected from the start that we were using fuel much too large for that size unit. When we emptied the unit to prep for our class, Jakob cut the pieces that had been used in that video into approx 1 x 1 inch cubes. Much of the chunks were charcoal at varying stages of carbonization. We loaded the unit with char that was left from the initial experiment-----thanks Don Mann------to just about 1/2 inch above the nozzle opening. Then we put the most charred pieces of wood on top of that, then some new Alabama oak cubes from the cabinet shop. (not sure if the fact that the unit was made from an Indiana junk pile made it prefer Indiana oak to Alabama oak or not) In any case, the unit functioned quite well and made good gas for the class demonstration. I have yet to attach it to an engine. I want to come up with a filter system and also try to determine how much tar we are actually passing into the "effluent" before I risk one of my engines. We did have a great deal of water in the gas it seemed and I am not sure what that is all about. It was different from the burn in IN. I think it had to do with the fact that we started with much less charcoal and were trying to make char for gas production much earlier in the burn than before. We should have started with more char. Because of time restraints we didn't seem to get it to operating temp before the flaring demo like we did in IN.
From the original burn, the wood was being converted to char as much as 6.5 inches above the nozzle. That wood was Ron's larger 1 in thick by 3-4 inch wide chunks that regularly serve the WK. We should have split it up smaller in the initial burn. I am encouraged with the design idea. We need to experiment with inlet/off-take/venturi/aspurater pipe diameter sizes, but I think the general idea is going to work for cracking more of the tars into fuel. Maybe Larry would give us a better description of his idea for recirculating the tars this way. .......