2018 travel across the Northern United States

Okay I know it is early to start talking about Argos 2018, but the way I am thinking it needs to be brought up now for planning the big trip for me.
I would like to get a group of people that would like go to Argos that have not gone because of the great distance to travel. Oh that’s me.
My route takes me through Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin on I-90 or Iowa hyw. 35 and 80, Illinois, and hyw. 30, 31 and 10 to Argos Indiana.
How about a DOW Caravan, we could meet up as we travel across the U.S.A. The I-90 highway is the main highway I will be traveling on.
I might even take the motor home and tow my truck, not sure on this yet.
Get the word out we could make more than one Caravan from different parts of the Country. It is always more fun with a group of people. I might get my old CB radio working again.
I will call it, The DOW Caravan Road Trip To Argos 2018. We could have the East Coast group, the Southern states group, the South West Route 66 group, Rocky mountain group, the N.West & N.Central group, the Canadian group. How about the Other Side of the Pond group. Flying in is okay.
Oh yes, all of you that have been to Argos pass events, are welcome to start or join a caravan too, you know the way to get there.
We don’t use the word convoy anymore because it is not aloud in our state. Accept the Armed Forces and spacial permits for a convoy. Not sure about other states. I don’t think anyone would notice a bunch of wood gas vehicles going down the highway anyways.
Think about it. This is the year for you to go. Just do it, even if your truck or car is not finished or you have not built it yet, or you Wood gas with a genset. We are all wood gasers at heart.
Start planning now. It will be May before you know it. Not sure if the date has been set yet. @Chris or @Wayne
Bob

5 Likes

I may not be able to be in the convoy but am willing to be a stop. If this happens, I will make sure I have enough chunked wood to fill people up.

3 Likes

Thank you Bill, if I take my motor home I will be running on Dino all the way.
I should make a wood stop fueling spots. for this N. West & N. Central Route. For those who will like to drive it on wood.
Bob

2 Likes

We’re gonna need a good size ferry for our European/Asian brethren.

2 Likes

That’s why I added flying in, as a option too. Lol Hum, my friend Chris Mason from England, did ship his Bentley to the U.S. in a shipping container with his belongings when he came to stay for awhile. The cost lots of $$$$$$ I bet.
It was great excitement when I was riding in the car with him a he put out and into the wrong lane of traffic, O YEA! That was fun.
Bob

2 Likes

@JO_Olsson what say you, we put our current project to the side and start working on a wood powered ferry :smile:
Join the LOSS (land of smileing sailors)

5 Likes

The LOSS, LOL Durning WWII there were big ships that Were wood gas powered, Not steam. Saw pictures of them and videos. It would be cheaper and easier to just fly in. I sure we could get someone to pick you up at the airport.
Bob

1 Like

Well, if l put all my petrol money aside once l dow again, l think l culd buy a plane ticket and have enough pocket money in about a year :slight_smile:
Visit you guys is on my “to do” list and l never, NOT EVER skip anything from that list! The “when” is adjustiblie thugh…

6 Likes

I’ll start chunking right away. We’d better weld up the ferry at your place or we won’t get out of the Baltic sea pack ice in time :smile:

5 Likes

Sounds like a real fun idea to me, id like to go to argos this year, and depending on how things progress, i may also be able to be a fueling station. Im located on the west side of iowa, roughly centered north to south. Sounds like @Bobmac will be going by up north a bit.

~l’Chaim

2 Likes

The speed with which you and Kristijan work, why don’t the two of you collaborate on building a small gasifier that you can split in two and each carry 1/2 as your luggage. Then rent a car in Chicago, stick your gasifier into the trunk, and run a flex hose up to the fuel system and drive to Argos? You two are very good at making “small” gasifiers. Put your two minds together and you could probably build one in a “bottle”. TomC PS Get a empty bottle to start with. Not sure how well it would work if you had to empty the bottle first.

4 Likes

A suitcase gasifier, I wonder how that would go through the airport security checks. NOT. But I like the suitcase gasifier idea set it up and run your your suitcase genset with it.
Bob

4 Likes

Tom, call us when you’re getting close to Chicago so we can start cutting the trunk floor out and join you.

3 Likes

Hi L’Chaim, I think this year is going to be a great Argos gathering of wood gasifier people, and you can be one of them. If everyone that has been to the event before show up and everyone that have thought about going some day, would show up, …let’s just say it would be a huge event.
Thank you for making your place a wood filling spot.
Bob

3 Likes

There is all sorts of work on electrified aircraft, but I think with the weight of the gasifier and wood, you would want to use a boat. Maybe a modernized, electrified, gasified Viking ship.

3 Likes

Hi Sean, I have heard of someone canoeing across the U. S. in the 70’S, they wrote a book on it. But if Wayne can drive across the U.S. on wood, then I know I can, at lease part of the way to Argos next year for the wood gas meet up in May. There are lumber yards in most towns, might get free scrap pieces from them. Pulling a small trailer full of wood is a must, if I go this route. The second option is taking the motor home and tow the truck, not sure yet. Still in the planning stages.
Bob

2 Likes

Definitely plan ahead!! The Tesla semi which begins production in 2019 (supposedly) will have a 500 mile range with a full load. I think it has an 800kw battery pack so it will take a while to get full. like a week with a 5kw generator, but then you get a whole semi trailer van to haul wood and pimp out for living quarters. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sean that is 500 miles if your full load 80 000 pounds so if you pack that Tesla light you can probably stretch that alot… lol. The good news is you can convoy the Tesla semi i think 1 driver and 4 trucks following on their own. Just think of all the wood and gasifers we could bring with 5 semi trucks each…
Oh well life will keep me from making it. But if anyone builds that suitcase gasifer be sure to ware a body camera as you go through airport security you might need the video as part of your defence if now it will be very entertaining for the rest of us to watch…

Hello Dan .

A couple of years back I gave Dr. Larry Winiarski a lift from Argos to South Bend IN airport . Among his checked luggage was a small gasifier :grinning:

6 Likes

Hello Mr. Bob

After that 7,400 mile trip I smelled like smoke by the time I got back home :grinning:

5 Likes