2018 travel across the Northern United States

:rofl: That is great. Talk about traveling prepared for anything. I would love to see the look on the face of anyone doing a scan and finding a gasifier. I once had to take industrial circuit boards from Taiwan to the USA I didnā€™t think I was going to get through customs in LA. Funny they didnā€™t even look twice in Taiwanā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m sure you did smell like smoke. Hey Wayne, after a Argos wood gas gathering doesnā€™t everyone smell like smoke? If not then you didnā€™t make it to the right gathering.
Wayne, did you ever calculate the pounds of wood you used on that trek across our country and back? Of the 7,400 miles, Iā€™m sure you did some hybred driving on the great continent divide, and other mountains and hill grades. About a pound a mile may be less with the truck you used and pulling a trailer at that time?
Just little old me, and hopefully Michael G trying to follow in some mighty big foot steps.
Bob

2 Likes

well dang, if you can get a gasifier in a suitcase, maybe a Tesla Roadster with 500+ mile range is in order. 8.8 1/4 miles and a top speed of 250 would be the fastest car on wood. :slight_smile:

Good morning Bob.

I couldnā€™t keep up the the amount of wood used but it would have been under a pound per mile.

The point of the trip was to drive coast to coast and back with no gasoline . I would use a little gasoline at start ups but no gasoline while driving . This made going over some of the Rockies kinda slow but you can make up for it going down the other side :grinning:

6 Likes

Okay the Argos across country trip is in May not sure on what weekend that Michael and I were going. Iā€™m hoping it does not fall on the weekend of the 18th through 20th. I waited as long as I could on making another commitment in May. So that date is now blocked out for me. I hope now it is going to fall on the first, second, or forth, weekends for the Argos Wood Gas Event. Fingers crossed.
Bob

1 Like

Yes, it is time to set a date so we can make our plans. Motherā€™s Day is May 13. Memorial Day is May 28. I personally would like to avoid Motherā€™s Day weekend this yearā€¦ :thinking:

Just to throw it out thereā€¦Weā€™re having an open-house for our organization here May 11,12 & 13. Anyone interested is welcome. We have housing lined up at a place down the road for $15/person/night. Would need some notice to line it up. Event cost = anonymous donation. Centered around appropriate technology this timeā€¦

3 Likes

I have an email in to Chris right now . Maybe we can get the ball rolling soon.

Ron Lemler and family have been our host in all previous Argos events and hopefully will put up with us another year .:grinning:

4 Likes

Hi guys, sorry to be slow getting the ball rolling. Iā€™ll post up a thread assessing the situation shortly, but hereā€™s the main thingā€¦

Is anyone else able to organize Argos this year? Life has taken over and unfortunately I wonā€™t have time.

2 Likes

Life is busy for me too, but I am willing to help. I live about 90 miles away. How are the Lemlerā€™s doing?

2 Likes

It looks Like Billy North has a big gathering planned on the 11th, 12th, 13th. Sounds like it could be the start of something big in new technology. Good for you Billy. Iā€™m sure the people down South would like to make it to that event.
If we are aloud to vote for a weekend?
My vote is for May 5th, 6th, 7th, weekend. Early enough before planting seeds up North, and into the gardening season full swing. Will not interfere with Mothers day, and Memorial Day weekend. And The Traveling Across The Northern United would work for Michael and Myself.
Feel free to make comments on this thread.

Bob

1 Like

Keep the weather in mind. Weā€™ve had a couple cold years at Argos. Later in May will be warmer, on average.

4 Likes

I would rather do it on Memorial Day weekend, but many plan other outings then. Maybe Motherā€™s Day weekend would not be so bad. (first weekend in May is my wifeā€™s birthday. Compromises, compromises. I guess it would not have to be in May, but that is traditional. Later on you get into planting season and other things. Earlier can be really cold weather like Chris said.

1 Like

I sure have been cold at Argos. Slept in a 4-H stall under some used hay and cardboard one year. Woke up with frosted eyeballs. (of course, I frost easier than most)
But sure hope we can slip it in between things.
Jakob is hoping to bring his tractor and another surprise heā€™s been working on.
I have a university nursing school global health training that first week, but could leave it to the rest of the family.
We have our open house AT event scheduled 11,12,13. ā€¦sure hope some of yaā€™ll can make that one.
and then a two week training for international community leaders the end of May.
Then we start 7 weeks summer training youth program.Hoping to squeeze it in between. Early is good for me. 3rd week of May could work. Will get a little tougher toward the end of May, but weā€™ll do what we can. Maybe Me and Jake can slip out for a few daysā€¦Weā€™ll try to make it whenever it is. But for sure not 11,12,& 13 for us.

2 Likes

Billy and all,
How does May31,June 1,2,3 work out for you? :grinning::tired_face::rofl::scream::angry::clown_face::japanese_ogre::alien::innocent:

1 Like

Iā€™m good for just about any date .

We need to make sure we can get enough folks coming to justify renting the fair grounds for the weekend .

1 Like

I think I can do that. In fact, might be my only option. Have a training 30 May and June 5. So could probably slip out to IN for the weeeek end.

1 Like

how about we click like on Mikeā€™s post to vote on those dates. Maybe move this to New topic; Argos 2018

3 Likes

Yes, as Webmaster, @Chris can start a new topic, add the generic Argos 2018 information, and just leave the start / end dates off. I hope a good working compromise can be found.

2 Likes

A little up date for you all. YESā€¦It is still a go for my trip to Argos. Getting the rear suspension work done on the Dakota before the trip. Independent air bags lifts being installed. My truck is sagging on the passenger side, this will level the truck out and make it ride a lot smoother going down the road.
Wayneā€™s Land Speed Record Tires are going to be change out for some new tires. But I can put them on my Subaru outback to finish their tire life out driving around town. I hope I donā€™t get any speeding tickets.
Looking forward to seeing you all there.
Michael Gibb is still trying to work things out to go. It is hard to get time off from his job, when you have no one to replace you to do your work.
Thanks @MikeR for all the work and up dates and helping the very busy @Chris out. Also a big thank you to all the others that are helping to make this Argos Event a success.
Looking forward to meeting you all in person and looking at your gasification projects. If finish or not bring them to the Event.
Bob

7 Likes