2018 travel across the Northern United States

We are keeping our fingers crossed. Sure hope he can make it !

4 Likes

how’s that prep work coming Bobmac?

2 Likes

Finally got the air bags installed on the Dodge Dakota today, after back order problems.
Real glad I didn’t do the work. It would have been a real pain in the you know what.
The load sensing module that adjusts the braking on the truck was bolted right behind the frame where the holes had to be drilled in the frame. It took a lot more work and two people to do this install the air bags.
Some times it is worth paying to have it done.
The bad news is, more work for me. One of the 2" pcv lines from the condensation tank to the hay filter was in the way of the air bag. I will have to correct that. One more thing added to my list.
Putting the boat trailer on the truck the other day to take the grandkids boating, I let the trailer move back to far and broke my right turn signal light lens, with the lower unit of the boat engine. It could have been a lot worst. Thank You Jesus. One more thing added to the list.
Oh yes the pusher blowers quit, might be the push botton hatching switch mechanism again, fix it a couple of times already or need to order blowers.
This is just letting me know, Argos is coming fast, and to remind, EVERYONE going to get their projects done.
Oh yes the truck is now riding down the road level, no more mushy ride, it is nice. It can haul more wood in the back now.
HWWT.
Bob

6 Likes

Did you add a small compressor to adjust on the go or leave them manual?

I am full time now at Paine Field, but have scheduled 10 days off starting on 5/25 so as long as job is running normal I am still a GO!

6 Likes

GREAT !! Looking forward to looking at you !

1 Like

Michael, that is great news. The air bags are manual on inflation a difference of 6 lbs. Leveled the truck.

Went to work on my punch list of things to fix on the truck, HA. Went to town to do a few things. Looking at new tires for the truck. Went to roll the window up on the passenger side window, it jammed going up. WHAT! Got home fixed it I hope, old trucks do have a habit of wearing out. I did get to look at the door speaker, yup it shot too. Ha ha, Life at times like this is just a plain old frustrating kinda fun, Just look at things and laugh at it. It doesn’t fix it but it makes me feel better. Be careful when ask God for patience, things might come your way to practice on just that.
Bob

5 Likes

I got the big project done. It has nothing to do with my truck, but it was important, finshed up the new chicken coop. Dana got more chickens to replace the ones the coyotes got a few months back.
Had some wild turkeys come by checking the coop out. It was the first time seeing them on the property.
Today I got work on the punch list for the truck.
1 all my blowers are now working using the double latching switch that @Chris designed, except the A/C shop vacuum blower.
2 Checked and freed up sticky control gas valves.
3 rerouted the piping from the condensation tank to the hay filter. That pipe was 3/4 full of carbon soot and packed in hard.
4 tighten fitting under the truck and wired up the back pipes from the cooling rack down to the 90* fittings going to the condensation tank.
5 found the problem why things were coming loose under the truck, the condensation tank could move back and forward, also found what was making the noise under the truck. Fix that.
More to come. I got a lot done to day, it feels good.
Argos is Approaching fast, I hope You All are getting things ready too. Michael and I are looking forward to seeing You All at Argos 2018.
Bob

5 Likes

Getting my mind of the “happening” is nearly impossible… Only three weeks to go… Looking forward to see you there.

5 Likes

I put some new tires on day. @Wayne, your old land speed record tires will go on the Dana’s Subaru Outback.

I wasn’t planning on it but I got new wheels too. I was having problems with tires going low on pressure and I wasn’t happy with the mushy ride the tires were giving me.
When they went to put new valve stems in they found the problem , lots of corrosion around the valve stems of two of the wheels and where it seals on the rim. I Might be able to clean the wheels up and use them for winter studded tires.
The truck rides a lot better now with the heavier belted side walls.
Changed the oil and checked all the fluids, servicing is done ready to roll down the road.
It’s getting closer DOW fans.
Bob

6 Likes

Bob, i am drooling…

2 Likes

God morning Mr. Bob .

Some of the above my be my fault. I was required to install metal valve stems on short notice and may have been poor quality . I had to drive 75 miles just to get those.:disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Bob
Are we going to have to wear formal to ride in your limo?

I guess better make it black

Really looking good

2 Likes

At the tire store they said it is a common thing they see with valve stems. Two different type of metals. Around the rims it could have been the salt flats sand though. No worries, I now have a extra set of wheels for winter. The deicer they use around here in the winter is hard on aluminum and alloy wheels. At least it not salt.
The guys at the tire store were wondering what was the equipment in the back of truck. When I told them the younger guys didn’t believe me. The shop manager who was about my age, thought it might be a gasifier truck. He had heard about them and seen pictures.
I showed them the DOW book of you and the truck on the cover. The youngest guy wants a ride in it. Running on wood.
Bob

7 Likes

No formal gear required in this truck. You can wear what ever you feel comfortable in. People will be looking at the Black truck, not us. Haha.
Bob

Me too, I will have to bring bibs for both of us.
Bob

I did some more work on the truck, just little things like the tailgate support cable rusted and became two pieces instead of one. Open up the crimps and put stainless steel cable in place of the old rusty one, it should hold after mashing the crimps back down.
Came back home from 50 mile run. I had to test the new tailgate cable out. Okay you caught me, I just like going out and Drive On Wood for no reason. I did noticed my mileage improved. It must of been the 2" pipe that was 3/4 plug in the gas line coming out of the condensation tank that goes to the hayfilter.
Also I did notice this…

Another pin hole leak in my tubing on the hopper cooling tubes. (Orange dot )
These are the original tubes that @Wayne cut and welded on, good job Wayne. I put the fins on so they would have more cooling surface. They are starting to get pretty thin on the upper part of the tubes. A little black silicone rubber on it and it will be ready for Argos 2018.
Bob

4 Likes

A little more inspection, I was wondering why going up hills I didn’t have as much power as normal. Found the problem, my spring linkage on the ford throttle body came off , so it was floating open and close and not keeping in sync with the dodge throttle body. Oh shoot, I have to go out for another test drive, after dinner.
Bob

6 Likes

Hello Mr. Bob.

It seems the upper portion of the hopper and tubes is the first thing to deteriorate from the acid.

The last couple of hopper I built I made them in two pieces so the top could be changed out with out having to replace the bottom part .

3 Likes

I have heard others having the same problem, so far the upper part of the hopper barrow has enough tar coating I think it is being protected from the acid. I have been leaving it that way. You built the right slope on the gutter and with the heat that is being generated it seems to never clog up just keeps flowing to the condensation/tar tank.
Planning on the next rebuild to have the tube removable and use heavier duty pipe, might just weld new pipe over the old tubing for the connections to the new cooler pipes with fins.
There is no sense replacing things that are not worn out.
Up date I am letting the silicone rubber dry will go for a drive tomorrow.

2 Likes