2018 travel across the Northern United States

Bob,
How is it going?
Praying for you and Michael’s safe and fun adventure!
God Speed! :grin::grinning::smile::sunglasses:

1 Like

We have motel stops planned for Billings, mt and Fargo, nd does anyone have suggestions for entertainment along the North route?

1 Like

does anyone have suggestions for entertainment along the North route?
You could try singing!

4 Likes

I’m afraid if I started singing I would find myself all alone at a rest stop saying
Bob, oh BOB, … BOB!

4 Likes

When are you leaving? Planning to be at Argos right?

1. Make a chart for counting liscense plates.

2. Play punch bug.

3. Write a new theme song or poem about your trip to perform
    one evening at Argos.

4. Sing all 597 verses of Kumbayah.

4 Likes

You could play “Punch Woodgas Vehicle”. That should be easy on the arm. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Except for the last mile!

4 Likes

Thinking about You, Bob and Mike!!
Don’t forget to take some pictures!
:national_park::sunrise_over_mountains::us::motorway::railway_track::tractor::steam_locomotive::train2::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::deciduous_tree::deciduous_tree::cactus::cactus::ear_of_rice::ear_of_rice::maple_leaf::maple_leaf::blossom::blossom::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower:

3 Likes

Okay, little up date ,we are in Billings Montana.
Michael drove 14 1/2 hrs. at 840 miles from Kent WA. I drove 12 hrs. at 706 miles from East Wenatchee, WA. Michael was the passenger from East Wenatchee.
Another long day drive tomorrow.
Bob

8 Likes

Bob is writing a blog
I enjoyed the very dramatic scenery over the continental divide mostly following Lewis and Clark
Got a pic near butte mt Will post later

Saw lots of deer, antelope, and 1 large rattlesnake!

5 Likes

Bob and @mggibb,
Wow, I envy your road trip but maybe not those long shifts.
We drove the US west to east back in 1991. Took us two weeks with enough time behind the wheel per day.
Coast to coast over here is 4-5 hours. More like DOW-range :smile:
Keep safe on the road. Looking forward to reading the blog.

4 Likes

in 2008 i drove from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to Green Bay , Wisconsin…
I tought it could be done overnight… o man i was so wrong, miles are a bit longer then Km’s
It tooked me a bit more then 24 Hrs… but arrived just in time for my meeting…

Driving is one of my passions… Now i think calculating miles and km is my weak point…

6 Likes

This is about 400 miles into the trip, the section through the Rockies was mostly in the bottom of several thousand ft canyons and so pictures would not show much but a winding road

7 Likes

Our own Swedish miles are 10km. What we use talking distances in every day language.

A southern guy from heavily pupulated areas was once visiting the nothern parts where towns are hours apart. He drove hours and hours and saw no people or signs. Suddenly a rusty road sign claimed 45 km to Kiruna. Also an old man showed up from nowhere. The sothern guy stopped and asked him:
-Excuse me, is it possible it’s still four and a half miles to Kiruna?
The old man answered:
-City boy, we don’t have no half miles up here.

5 Likes

Am I reading that right. A SWedish mile is 10 km.? And you have something colloquioally refered to as a half mile? And then there’s km’s. That could get confusing and make for some good movie scences when outsiders come to visit.
Good thing you all have those long snowy winters to sit by the fire and figure out exactly how far you want to travel in the spring.

4 Likes

Reminds me of the story of the Texan that stopped by a New England farmer and asked him how big his farm was. The farmer said " See this fence line here? My land follows this fence up to that stone wall over the hill and then follows back around to where we are". The Texan said "If I get in my truck and follow the perimeter of my ranch, it takes 3/4 of a day to get back where I started. The Vermont farmer said “I know what you mean, I used to have a truck like that once”.

14 Likes

150 cent = A dollar and a half
15 km = A mile and a half
…as simple as that.

With all the units of length, area, volume and weight you have, long winters would be useful :smile:

6 Likes

Bob and and the 93 Dakota made it to Fargo, ND today
10 1/2 hours and 609 miles for a total of 1461 miles for me.

Should make it to Argos by 4 pm tomorrow

Providing that we don’t run into another of these, 1/2 hour of FIERCE rain

11 Likes

Fargo is some kind of time warp

Too many issues ( none serious) to put here
But we found that it was 700+ miles to go

So will not get to Argos till tomorrow AM

3 Likes

Update
We are 1 hr out and will be there at 10 PM

3 Likes