2018 travel across the Northern United States

Had a great time, and of course overate on the bountiful food
Highlights were the 10 baby rabbits in a hole in the center of our tent city. And watching the young girls feeding them every 2 hours!

Thank you so much Mike for setting this up and Ron for providing wood
The women (sorry but I don’t know names). For all the food.

Bob and I did a 40 mile warm up lap (lost?) when we missed the turn at Plymouth to highway 30.
But eventually got on I-80 and just got to Lincoln NE (640 miles).

But we are only on gasoline and with the estimated 15+ mile per hr headwind
Only were getting 13 to 14 MPG. Vs the16 to 17 when Eastbound on I-90.

So only 2 more fun filled traveling days to get home

11 Likes

If you ran I-80 west across Nebraska you were within 2 miles of me exit 409 on the east side of Lincoln. Darn it we have to work on our communication

4 Likes

I grew up 35 or 40 miles southwest of you didnt know you were that close…

3 Likes

Today we put down14.9 hrs and 883 miles to make Salt Lake. Still 14 hrs and 890 miles to go.

I called ahead to a “quality inn” made a reservation and gave credit card. Only to find that it is a SLEASY Ramada inn.

Apparently they have hacked the quality inn website and put in their address and phone!

Ahh the adventures on a road trip

5 Likes

I sent Michael on his way from my house he should be home by 10:00 pm. PDST
Argos 2018 was a huge success. It was a great event. Thank you ALL for make it that way.
It was Well worth the 6 days of driving. I think I will plan to come a day earlier next time.
It is going to take some time for me to process everything that I saw and heard. Thank you all for coming and sharing your knowledge, and everything that you have built.
Ladies thank you for the wonderful food and hard work you all did and the men that help put it all together.
It is great having a DOW family like you all.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
Thank you. Bob Mackey

11 Likes

Final report now that I have recovered
Traveled 4,740 miles, cost about $1700, experience, priceless!

Bobs dodge truck averaged 15 MPG and only hickupped a couple times, had wind gusts to 40 MPH Westbound and so worst mileage climbing to continental divide at 7000 ft was a low of 13.5 MPG.

Here is my favorite picture

6 Likes

I should have warned you about the west to east winds across the US. Going from LA to Michigan ( close to Argos, In.) on motor cycles, we ran 100 mph and I got 40 mpgal going west to east. Going back to LA, the speed was more like 70 mph and I got 25 mpgal. On my trip to DOW in Argos, I had no problem keeping up with freeway traffic. Going home I didn’t get enough wood, but I ran all the way home on petrol. Good thing because the head wind pushed my hopper over. TomC

2 Likes

Update: I know it is really early to be thinking about Agros 2019, but I feel it is nice to thinking about this near future event…
I think Michael is planning on Flying his plane to the event next year with his wife. 2 1/2 days flying instead of 3 1/2 days driving.
I have been thinking on what route to take next year. I want to stop on the way down and visit my daughter Maren, her husband Max and the three grandchildren. From there I can drive straight to Argos.
I would also like to be there to help set up on Thursday. I feel this coming year is going to be bigger and better than last year. Maybe bring in more of our members from across the pond.
It was great to have Koen there to share his experiences in the world of gasification.
I am hoping this will be the year everyone that has missed the events the pass few years will all show up. Now wouldn’t that be great!
We would have to start it on Thursday and go to Sunday.
Start thinking about planning on going. It’s only 6 + months away. Start a Argos fund to go, and put it away for the traveling expenses.
I’m feeling the excitement all ready.
Bob

8 Likes

What Bob said .

I ready for Argos right now !

9 Likes

I’m sure your are. You have a whole fleet of woodtrucks parked in the yard and all you have to do is decide which one you want to take. Every year, I get caught with my rompers down in the middle of “another” rebuild. I’m in the middle of another rebuild, but I did get into my new shop for the first time one night this week. Just came in now for a sip of hot cider to warm up. I’m going to be trying. TomC

9 Likes

Yes Tom, that’s the I’m going to Argos Spirit. That’s three of us and I’m counting!
@Chris, Chris might have to turn this into…
The Who Is Planning On Going To Argos 2019.
Bob
Edit: go to “Woodgas Meet Up 2019” for more information on dates , for planning your trip there.
Bob

3 Likes

Up date it is now the month of May the 24 th 2019. And once again Michael Gibb and I are planning the big trip to the Argos Woodgas Meetup.
This time we are taking the same route that we came back on in 2018 from Argos. From East Wenatchee to Ogden , UT. 11hrs. And 11 mins.
We will go through 1 time zone.
The next day we will be on highway 80 and will stop in Lincoln, Nebraska, another long day of travel through 1 more times zone. Wake up early and still traveling on highway 80 to highway 30 at New Lenox. And then to Plymouth IN., hang a right on to highway 30 to Argos Fair Grounds. I’m glad we have a extra day added the this years Woodgas Meetup. Will need a recoup day to just hang out and rest.
Bob

7 Likes

Just hoping that this more southerly route clears all of the flooding and tornados that have been in the news

We want the adventures to be in Argos!

5 Likes

I will keep you in my prayers. My biggest concern is for mechanical problems on your truck. I don’t remember what year it is, but it must be getting up there in miles. My old truck is just a Wisconsin beater with a heater that I bough just to “experiment” with using woodgas. And now here I am, expecting it to take me through the traffic of Milwaukee and Chicago Good luck guys. TomC

5 Likes

The toughest drive and biggest potholes in the freeways were on the 50+ miles near Chicago.
That and toll roads are why we are driving the Southerly route braving floods and tornados

Good luck on your drive, I am confident with Bob,s truck as he keeps after the repairs and (cover your eyes for this part). We will drive on Dino except at Argos

3 Likes

Hello Michael.

Bob’s dakota has already proven it’s point . It has been driven to Argos several times on total wood :grinning:

5 Likes

Yall have a safe trip. Seeya in two or three days :grinning:

5 Likes

Bob
What day do you plan on being in Lincoln?

3 Likes

Late tomorrow or the morning of Tuesday
Send an address to
[email protected]
We had some issues with the Dodge and changed enough parts to keep going but today will be17 hrs on the road for me

3 Likes

Bob Mackey and I made it to Ogden UT BY 11:30 Pm last night = 793 miles from my house
We were slowed about 2 1/2 hrs chasing electrical issues with his truck
And gas milage suffered to as low as 12 mpg

Replaced the coil and an air temperature sensor helped but an intermittent grounding issue is still there
We’re going to go full “road kill” on it this morning before heading out

5 Likes