2018 travel across the Northern United States

Made it to North Platt NE at 9pm today in a RED T STORM FOR THE LAST 1 1/2 hours

Had to stop several times due to others stopping on the road. Last 30 miles at less than 40

Truck ran better today but has a definite water aversion
We worked all the ground wires but something still causes the O2 meter to go nuts and run rich top end at 65 too it dries out

6 Likes

Still having intermittent issues so stopped in Lincoln NE at a 24 hr repair shop at 11:30 and had a new O2 sensor installed
Found that the old plug had no clips holding it together
Also fix the windshield wiper that broke during the high speed wiping during yesterday’s storm driving

We behaving adventures!

5 Likes

10 Likes

Continued safe travels.

7 Likes

So sorry about all your troubles. Hope you have safe travels and pleasant roads today. I write this as I sit at McDonald’s in Argos having my first cup of coffee for the day

5 Likes

Replaced the 02 sensor at Lincoln NE and then fixed the last605 miles at avg. 17 MPG

Had a great time, ate too much, thank all who made it happen

Favorite moment was when Wayne tried to trick Lisa with a “gift” that he paid a lot for
Lisa looks at him then looks up for a few seconds and says
“Forgive him lord cause I know he’s Lying”

There was about 8 of us sitting around the fire pit who burst out laughing

9 Likes

Bob and I left Argos at 9:30 and made it to Lincoln NE by 8pm
BOB PUT ON 146 miles giving rides during the event running on that GREAT Lemlier wood
Truck running great on gasoline at avg 16 MPG

10 Likes

Good morning Mr. Mike .

One of my favorite moments was when I introduced Kristijan as a chemist in Slovenia. His reply was, also a chemist while here :grinning:

8 Likes

Besides being very smart, he is a hoot! Tomc

4 Likes

Wayne told Joanne and I a funny way he traps coyotes on his farm, not the way we do it here in Wisconsin, not sure if I would want any part of it.

2 Likes

Bob and I made it to Rock Springs WY at7:30 today after 705 miles
Went through 2 large thunder storms but only minor hail
At about 400 miles during a fuel stop the oil pressure dropped so low at idle that the idiot light came on
Kept the idle at 1000 until Cheyenne where a $39 oil change with 10-30 oil fixed it
Lesson learned don’t use semi synthetic 10-20 oil in a 1992 truck in 75 degree weather after 3000 miles
Quality inn sure feels good!

10 Likes

6/04/2019
Made it to Lagrande OR Today by 5 PM after 648 miles. Will be home tomorrow.

First day of the whole trip with perfect weather and not a hiccup from the truck

Lots of antelope and still snow above about 8000 ft. We crossed the continental divide at elev 7000 ft.

11 Likes

Thanks Bob and Mike for checking in . I expect everyone is back home except you two .

3 Likes

Start to unload the truck of all the tools and gear that I did not need to take and the rain that followed us to Argos and back again, showing up at my place, but it was good old Pacific Northwest rain. It’s good to be home with my family. I miss out on my Dana’s dad (Frank) and Dana’s daughter (Millie) birthday party on the 4th, at least they saved me a piece of strawberry pie. Yummy.

Bob

7 Likes

I just want to thank you all for your prayers and support as Mike and I traveled across the USA to Argos.
We ended up changing out the ignition coil. This seemed to improve the performance but we still were get poor fuel mileage off and on.
We replaced the air temperature sensor in the intake manifold, the engine check light cleared for the first time sents I have had the truck. But the fuel mileage was still not right. We noticed the truck would change when we would hit a bump in the road, this caused us to think it was the connection to the oxygen sensor or sensor it self. On the third day of driving we pulled into a 24 hour auto service place and put on the new oxygen sensor we had already had bought.
The truck started running great, and good gas mileage. On the forth day we bought a plastic bushing for the wiper linkage arm for the passenger side wiper, and fixed it at Argos. The second day is when the muffler wore out and started leaking big time this caused exhaust to go backwards into my pushers blowers because the check valve did not completely seal the exhaust gas off. 400 *f exhaust will meltdown plastics.

What you are looking at is two 2" blowers and the red check valve. The valve inside is melted down.
When this was melting down and on fire? It was raining hard. The valve was close the the fuel tank. Yes God save us from disaster again. I have lost count on how many times God has Save my life here on plant earth. And one time through his Son Yeshua (Jesus) the Christ, for ever and ever. Yeshua is Lord.
It is Redesign time on this air intake check valve pusher blower system. I have look at this set up and never really given it a thought about it, it look like a good set up to me.
Weeks before this melt down event, my temp increased on the grate a few degrees making it higher then the hopper temperature when shut down running on gasoline. It must have been a real small leak in the muffler. Even Wayne mention how to test for it. I checked and could not tell it was leaking. The day we left and hit the road at highway speeds it started to leak more with every mile down the road. There was a reason it rain every day hard. God is so good.
Everything ran great coming home. Except having the voltage meter quit and then start working again a couple times. I would think a wiring connection would be my guess. And the oil needing to be change with only 3500 miles on it, not using a long life high mileage oil again. New plane old 10 -30 weight oil and filter change no more problem there. One little thing did happen in La Grande Oregon at the motel when showing my gasifier truck to a good friend, Kane who now lives there. I’m sure this has happened to everyone who has had a gasifier and was showing it off. The truck would not start on gasoline. Now this has been a hard starting truck on gasoline, I laugh because it seemed to start easier on wood gas, but not starting at all was a new thing. It turn out the the fuel pump on/off switch was B/O . I Bypassed it and the hard starting problems seemed to have disappeared for now.
All in all this trip has been the best Shake Down Trip Ever for the 92 Dodge Dakota from the book. Even Better than the first drive home from Kentucky. Mike Gibb did a great job on diagnostics of the problem we were having. At one point we both were thinking maybe we should rent a car and continue our trip to Argos. Lol
We are both Glad we stuck with perseverances and pressed on to Argos in the 92 Dakota. Looking forward to next year run across the USA to Argos. Lord Willing.
Bob

6 Likes

Wow! That’s impressive.

The only way that can happen is burning gasoline for long distances. During regular woodgas driving the incoming air cools the blowers (and the muffler!) and keeps any exhaust leaks moving the other direction.

It would be wise to have the pusher blowers disconnected for extended gasoline driving.

4 Likes

Yes Chris, the other thing that happen is after the melt down the wet air under the truck started to be scooped up into the metal cross tube and into the preheated box, now you have steam being formed and flowing up into the intake of the gasifier because the woodgas valve are not air tight when closed. The vaccum on the engine caused wet hot air to flow all the way though my gasifier system. My charbed was wet when I got to Argos. Lol. I was glad I brought extra charcoal. It ran good once I got it started with out a muffler preheater.

I disconnected it from the intake muffler pipe and taped it up with aluminum tape.
How important is preheating the air. Very important for getting up to temperature by using the engine exhaust heat. I normally can take off with good idle speed at 400 degrees at the grate. With out preheated air from the muffler it was at about 700 to 800 degrees before I had good idle speed.
Bob

3 Likes

The new design will have a valve that can be close manually when driving across country. As long as you do not have a muffler leak this will never happen. But things happen. I keep reminding my self of the words you said Chris, this truck was built in 2012. That is now 7 years ago. It was on wood at 94,250 miles. It now has 125,010 miles on the truck.
You and Wayne put right at 17,000 miles on wood. I have over 3,000 miles now.
Bob

5 Likes