A chunker I have not seen

This one did not look so crazy, if you do not have small sticks.
Wondering which one is the fastest, to saw sticks on the band saw and then use the rear axle clip or to make slices of the trees and make a machine like this.

10 Likes

Jan, I think sharpen the hatchet is the fastest :smile:

4 Likes

Hmm, it takes me about 2 hours to make firewood for 100 miles with a table saw and ax.

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/L1EEvnY6GRA
This company probably makes the most sophisticated spiral cutters from your neighbors.
https://www.laimet.com/

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

8 Likes

Tone, do you think it would be possible to run on these chips in a gasifier, without it hanging?

1 Like

Jan, I think it would work, I use crushed branches, different thicknesses and sizes, it only needs a little shaking every half hour to fill the middle

1 Like

OK, one of the guys here in Sweden runs on wood chips, but he has a fairly advanced facility for it to work.

8 Likes

Yes. Jonas Hedenbergs fuel chip systems have evolved relatively sophisticated.
See at 7:55 minutes his used wood fuel chips:

He is a very smart, direct use man.
Assume he does not add anything to his systems without a need. Without a proven benefit.
He has evolved into 3-4 electrical motors to operate his wood chips using systems. Operator command controlled. Or simple, electromechanically timer controllers.
Puts, False! to the idea that ONLY electronical controllers can make systems workable.

He auger feeds in the chips at a controlled rate to his hearth core.
He timer automated lifter rod plunges his upper hearth area. Observe his found needed timing and duration on this.
I do not know if he evolved from whole system shaking; then into plunger-rodding down.
I do know that whole system shaking can break loose upper hearth tar jams, yes.
BUT then the whole system shaking can settle too tightly the char beds at the same time! Whole system shaking absolutely crumbles to dust, fragile chars like my Doulas Fir wood makes! Then you have a real “soots” maker system, (actually, is clogging char dust).

Ha! The choices seems to be make the system workable with Big-Power-Input-Systems made wood chips . . . or densified pelletized fuels . . .
Or make the controllable burn-rate gasification wood chunks for a simpler 1-2 electric motor gasification system.
Regards
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

I was going to call Jonas and ask, but I can ask you Steve instead, can I connect to the front lambda probe without destroying the signal to the car’s computer?

1 Like

No. Weld in a separate threaded bung to have your own separate oxygen-in-exhaust sensor.

Here is a posted up 2013 drum type able to make wood stove lengths:

Slow. So faster:

Then a very fast REBAK:

8 Likes

I wish someone made a “U Weld It/U Build It” Rebak kit. Would make my life easy sourcing some blades and gears to make one.

4 Likes

I bought my rebak from Poland. They also sell the knive-gear set. Motor and safety plating is up to you.

5 Likes

Which company was it? Do you think they would ship overseas?

3 Likes

I think it was this one.

https://wood-processor.com/products/cutting-mechanisms/

I bought mine from a dealer in Holland. Easier but more expensive and I bought the model he had in stock. I remember JO advised to use the one with extra knives. It cuts shorter, mine doesnt deliver motorfuel. Pieces are to long. But no problem for making charcoal.

4 Likes

Yeah we have a dealer here in the US, but the cheapest one costs almost 3000 USD. I think if remet offers me a better price on just the mechanism I’ll order it and buy a flywheel from Red Dragon(the US dealer)

2 Likes

I hope my clip works after fixing it, but since I do not have so many small trees to cut (try to only cut the big trees and have the small ones on growth) I think about which other solution is best.

9 Likes

Jan, since you already have the chunker up and running, how about splitting logs as long as the splitter can take?
And what about limbs? I know your house is heated with firewood. More than half my annual chunk supply is limbs - just a bi-product of cutting firewood. I find the limbwood way the fastest and easiest way of making motorfuel.

8 Likes

When I’m cutting on my sawmill I just cut slabs. S2S and then in order to get the most out of every slab I recut them with a chalk line and circular saw. Just the scrap from that would make a fair amount of fuel. If you are squaring your logs S4S when you cut them that would be a ton of fuel.

5 Likes

JO, I have tried splitting, but it will be so many different sizes so it did not work so well.
What are limbs?

Tom, that was the biggest reason to make a band saw, it will not be so much shavings, if it now works.

2 Likes