A guide for driving a vehicle on chargas

Hi Tom. My programer friend says that this problem was already fix.
BR

2 Likes

Hi Don:
My programer friend says this problem was already solved.
BR
Eddy

3 Likes

I have just upload my English Manual “Guide for driving a vehicle on chargas” Version #4
to the next QR. This way anyone can directly download the Manual for free!!

6 Likes

Hi Eddy , good to hear from you again , and happy to see you have been having lots of fun and also updating your designs along the way . with some clever idea’s .
I also have been messing around and playing , i am ( i think ) nearly 4 years into the same nozzle and decided i cant wait any longer for it to burn out before i try other designs and i have got really jealous of everyone’s new systems be they downdraft or cross draft , and me being the "if it aint broke dont fix it " kinda guy decided i am going to build myself one of those. so at the moment i am just gathering the bits i will need and so in the mean time i am playing with ways of using more than just charcoal in my up draft simple fire type gasifier , i have a bottom fed air nozzle on a 200 litre drum sat on a stand and a 25mm flexible stainless steel pipe going into the side of a open top 30 litre drum , that i load with wood briquet’s with 0% moisture content and once glowing i then load off cuts of HD polythene flooring boards , early days but so far seems to have given my 7.5KW inverter generator a bit of a power boost

10 Likes

Hi Dave& Brian:
Nice to hear from you too.
You are doing something that I am intending to do! Your experience may save my A LOT OF trail and FAILURES!!
Please let me ask you some critical questions:

1. How is the process?: You say that first you fire up the wood and ones glowing then you load it with HD polythene: What type of load: 100% of HD Polythene or a mix of %wood briquets with %HD Polyethene?)
  2. Have you verify any TAR coming out on the gasifing process of the wood and/or polyethene, perhaps on the flexible SS pipe or at the generator carburetor… If so How do you get rid or filter the tar?
  3. What is the function of the 30 liters drum?
  4. For how long you have gasifing HD polythene in your up draft simple fire type gasifier?
    I am very anxious for your answers.
    B.R.
    Eddy Ramos.
5 Likes

Hi Eddy , this is a very early days for me trying this , i have no records of amounts of charcoal saved by using this dual system yet , later today i will take the flexi pipe out and take a photo and examine for tar build up if any and see . now as far as the external burn bin goes i light the briquets first and get them going they will burn just as if they were in a fire pit , then once i have them burning i will light my charcoal gasifier once lit i will put the one end of the pipe into charcoal air intake and the other end into the fire bin then throw a hand full of these HD off cut boards into the bin roughly 50 /50 mix as the plastic needs the heat from burning wood as the bin is away from the heat of the gasifier , and then place the lid on the bin , the lid is not sealed on its just placed on and there is a 25mm hole opposite the flexi pipe where the air is then drawn through the bin full of briquet’s and off cut HD , as i mentioned this is still very early days for me due to very wet weather we are having here i just needed to do my daily charge cycle of the batterys for a extra few hours a day and i thought this would be a interesting way to bolster up my fuel run time .
Just been outside while rain has slowed down and took a look at the pipe and filters , pipe is black inside but no build up of tars as yet , but i did notice how hot this thin walled flexi pipe got so that may help in moving the tars straight into the gasifier . the first filter chamber has polyester fibre as the filter medium as its cheap and i have lots and lots of it to use up , that was pretty black a deep dark black but was dry and not sticky as all , normally on straight charcoal that is a sort of dark grey to black colour thats dusty , the secondary inline filter has cat litter crystals in it that absorb a lot of the moisture in the gas this was nearly the same colour as normal But was soaking wet and stank real heavily of ammonia , todays run i will only use the very dry briquets and not be tempted to put some pine off cuts in the bin again like the last run see what differance that might make
Dave

4 Likes

Hi Dave & Brian:
Thank’s for your quick response. Thank’s for getting wet going outside under the rain to check the SS pipe. Thank’s for all your long explanation of your work. But after reading 100 time your description, I can not understand how your system is. Can you make a hand draft drawing and post it here. If you can’t post it here I will give you my WhatsApp contact and it may be easy to send me a picture of it.
Thank’s again.
Eddy Ramos (Argentina).

3 Likes

Hi Eddy , i will add your number onto wattsapp and maybe i can stream it live to you running .Its just 11.25 am here at the moment so i will check your time and see if we can arrange a time that suits us both .
Dave

2 Likes

Here is 10.25 pm in Argentina now

2 Likes

ciao eddy , saluti da italia!!
big compliment, thanks for your documentation and sharing for free to all…i have a question…the diffuser disc is genial, but would it be also possible to make the gas outlet directly over the reduction area, let us say about 40 or 50 cm over the nozzle? the water drip combined with the nozzle from underneath is also very genial, so forgotten water closing can messup nothing, the water drops simply down…
god the lord jesus christ bless you
ciao giorgio

5 Likes

Hi Giorgio:
Yes, you can place the gas outlet right over the reduction area, but keep in mind that will make the Chargas coming out at VERY high temperature. Probably above 1000 ºC.
If you keep the gas outlet very far from the reduction area, this will let the Chargas to cool down on it’s way to the outlet.
God Belss you too.
B.R.
Eddy Ramos.

6 Likes

thanks eddy, yes it requires a cooler than for shure…the design with the nozzle from the bottom has advantages with slag formation ( the slags makes a ring and not blocks) and especially with the water dropper…how much water consum have you in one hour approximately?, one to two drops in one second…
ciao giorgio

5 Likes

Hi Giorgio.
Two drops every second multiply by 3600 sec pero hour makes 7200 drops per hour. Depending the size of the drops is aprox 1liter.
B.R.
Eddy Ramos (Argentina).

6 Likes

Hi Everybody:
This Thursday June 16th at 2.30 pm (Argentinia time) I was invited to give a discourse about my Car on chargas at the Wordl wide (international) Summit of Circular economy (ecology). Cumbre mundial de economia circular, Cordoba Argentina. I offered to give it in Spanish and in English, but I was told to give it only in Spanish because it is going to be simultaneous translators. But I do not know if there is going to be translators only for the present audience or also for the direct transmision of this event (by youtube?). Anyway I am sure it will be recorder to be able to see it later all around the world. If so I will try to ask about this link for you.
Hope it will go fine.
B.R.
Eddy Ramos (Argentina).

11 Likes

Eddy,
Thanks for thinking of us. I hope you can post the link here. I would like to see that.

5 Likes

I will pray that you will reach the masses of the world for a better way Driving On Charcoal or Driving On Wood. Carbon Neutral and using and recycling wood scraps. Good for the environment.
Bob

5 Likes

thanks eddy for information…the water drip system will also cool the nozzle i think?
what have you observed about nozzle consumption?
ciao giorgio

5 Likes

Hi Giorgio:
I have being using the same nozzle for 10,000 km = 6,250 miles and is still in good shape. The water drops: cools down the load and the outgoing chargas, provides of hidrogen and oxigen to the chargas so you will have a longer driving range and easy the starting of the engine. But on the other hand you will have higher corrosion within the system.
B.R.
Eddy Ramos.

9 Likes

Here is a 20 minutes youtube video of my conference at the Mundial Summit of Circular Economy (Ecology) with English sutitles. I will greately appreciate if somebody can correct my English subtitles. Thank’s.
Eddy Ramos. - Argentina.

12 Likes

Eddy,
Great presentation. It was obvious that you studied gasification a lot before building. Gary Gilmore’s Simple Fire seems to be the root inspiration for many who have started with or found their first successes in wood or charcoal gasification using a design somewhat based on the Simple Fire charcoal gasifier. Yours is also very similar. What gasifier design was yours based upon??

2 Likes