A review of electric chainsaws

Yes, I apparantly missed writing that it had to be used with a drillpress, thank you.

Unfortunately I have not been able to motivate a plasmacutter-buy to myself. I did get one for free though that there was something wrong with but that was several years ago and I never took the time so far to look at it.
Perhaps I don’t know what I am missing not having one but I haven’t felt the need for one so far.

3 Likes

If you’re not missing it, you’ll be just fine.
I use my plasma cutter more than a cutoff wheel mostly because I’m less afraid of being burned or zapped than having a disc break and cut me.

3 Likes

If you get used to have one, you don’t wanna loose it :smiley:
I bought mine used/broken at a swap meet (40$) big old heavy one, my guess it’s easier to get one of the older ones running again was correct, just to get a seized pressure switch working again, and a new china-made cable and torch, now i can’t live without it :rofl:, and i can’t believe i could build gasifiers before i got one, especially in stainless it’s a super tool.

7 Likes

This is kind of what I was afraid of. Not knowing what I am missing.
Lots of people didnt see the need for a car when it was avaliable to the masses either. Or freezers. Or computers…
I guess I better look at the plasmacutter to figure out what is wrong with it, I dont remember what it was but I can ask my oldest sister, it was her old one but she bought a new one and probably better quality.

6 Likes

I can’t imagine my sister with a plasma cutter. I actually would be more scared of her if she had one. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Haha, she is actually a well renowned blacksmith and has been the last 25-30 years :slightly_smiling_face:
I guess some girls play like boys do

7 Likes

I promise I won’t try to pick a fight with her. :slight_smile:

It is actually really cool she is a blacksmith. Even cooler, she has cool toys to give you. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, I won’t pick a fight either, I have seen her arm muscles that came from swinging a hammer most days in those years, not to mention her hand wrist muscles :smile:
But yes, she’s cool :blush:

9 Likes

amazon has the greenworks 80v with 2amp battery for 227 for a ‘prime day’ sale.
You have to be an amazon prime member but it is free for 30 days.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-Cordless-Chainsaw-Included-GCS80420/dp/B00R6Z4R42/ref=sr_1_3

4 Likes

My dad likes that one, when I bought the new new 60v and this 80v for comparison I gave the 80v to dad because mom and I already have 60 stuff.

I like that Greenworks battery chargers have a cooling fan, so you can put a hot battery in the charger and you won’t wait for an hour for it to naturally cool cough Ryobi cough

6 Likes

I got the Greenworks for prime day. :slight_smile: It is good. probably cuts faster then the woodshark, but not quite as fast as the stihl. I don’t smell like 2-cycle, I don’t have to worry about the muffler catching something on fire, no worries about starting, and no worries about trogging through the bush with the thing running. I still need earmuffs from the high pitched whine but it isn’t a deafing roar either. The battery last long enough to break a sweat, and I need to get cooled off by that time anyway. I may or may not worry about getting another battery.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind a 45 minute break every few logs it’s not bad with one battery. Did you get the one with the 8ah battery?

no the 2ah battery, it is about 15m of cutting, I am out of shape. :slight_smile: It charges pretty fast. It poops when you get going. Actually, I thought it lasted longer the first time I used it, and not as long the second time… It is hard to tell, I have to cut up a fallen tree in the briars, so it is clear a spot cut, clear a spot cut… and the chain popped off like 3 times when it hit the briars.

It also didn’t come with a tool, and it really needs some of those metal plate chainguards between the bar and the saw. Oh and the nut that holds the cover came off and is in the brush somewhere.

I am going to get mostly caught up with cleaning up the yard and see if I still want it. I have about 5 more small dead elms to go and I probably should do the two big elms as well, one birch trunk, one small but tall pine, and a bunch of limbs.

2 Likes

Okay. I didn’t have the bar tight enough. there was some chips stuck to the bar, and I don’t think I was tightening it up enough.

After sitting on the charger for 2 days. The battery seemingly lasted longer. So it might have been too hot outside. I am also hitting the power button to off when moving stuff. I don’t know if that helps. It is hard to be fair in comparison because the chain is slightly duller, and I am mostly doing 12-14" diameter stuff instead of < 5-8", plus it is cooler outside.

But I did notice the battery after I cut through a 10" piece went to one bar, and then I pressed it a minute later and it was at 2 bars… I am not convinced whether it is normal, it is heat or a defective battery.

Otherwise, I actually kind of like it.

3 Likes

About 2 full charges on my weak battery to completely delimb and cut up a spindley, dead 12" pine. I have a bit left of the stump to get it almost flush to the ground. It just makes it easier to mow over. if it isn’t sticking up 4".

4 Likes

Easier on the lawn mower too if not paying attention… although it might be difficult getting a four inch stump under the deck of most mowers. But yeah , still raise havoc!

4 Likes

I was trying to cut the last 4" down to 1" without running the chain in the dirt. It make the stump slightly bigger. I will drill it and drop some dirt on it then let nature eat it the rest of the way. :slight_smile:

I left a much larger stump from a 2ft elm that I am doing now. It is pushing the limits of the 18" bar. Nature started taking over but it was mostly ants.

It worked. Not the smoothest and prettiestbut part of that is the operator can’t cut level… The battery does get hot and shuts off but it takes a few minutes. I was able to cut it in half without it stopping.

7 Likes

Bruce, as you wrote a while ago, the factory does not make the 316e any more. …Our modern world… If you buy something you really like, you better go back and buy a lifetime supply of it within six months! And to the guys who are wondering if they can get away with putting a longer bar than the factory recommends on either their electric or gasoline saw, …only if you disable every second pair of cutting teeth. Pacific Northwest loggers use skip-tooth chain on their 4-foot-long bars. The limitation is the motor’s maximum torque output. Exceed it, and you’ll burn out the electric motor’s windings or the gas saw’s centrifugal clutch. To disable a tooth, just round off the cutting edge. These teeth will ski on the wood, causing very little drag. I would not grind them off entirely; that would alter the anti-kickback properties. Of course, the long bar with a skip-tooth chain will proceed downward through any given log at half the rate of the original bar. The rate of turning cubic inches of wood into sawdust is directly proportional to horsepower. This is why the factories put narrow chain on electric saws. I ‘heart’ my Husqvarna 395 XP…The power of seven Clydesdales in my hands. It cuts through red oak faster than an ordinary saw cuts through pine. It does this for an hour before demanding I spend two minutes putting gas and oil in it. Then exercise your right bicep a few times and go back to do it again. Battery powered saws have their place, but if a lack of time is your biggest limitation, there is no replacement for horsepower.

4 Likes

Steve U., I guess you were not trying to be funny on Feb. 11th, but you made me laugh. “One horrible too bright LED metal chain pull light”. Here’s the silver lining around that cloud: After the EMP strike, every last one of those eye-burners will be dead for all eternity, and all the brushless electronic commutators will get the majick smoke let out of them too. For my electric chainsaw, I bought a made-in-Commieland Harbor Freight “Bauer” corded 14.5 Amp 16 inch 80 dollar special specifically because it has an old-timey brushed universal series-wound motor that I will be able to sleuth out with an ohm meter when it quits working in the middle of the apocalypse. Side point: I wonder why Greenworks does not offer a plug-in battery eliminating rectifier module so you electric saw afficianodos could run in corded mode when close to home, saving battery life cycles for when you are in the field. 'Cause they did not think of it! It will be out by November, I bet. Steve, keep up the unintentional gut-busting humor.

5 Likes

No worries Mark. I have two washing machine outer shells that I have lined with a inch of foam and keep anything electronic like that stored in them including a couple of lap tops. Got to store them someplace anyway. May as well be in a faraday cage. Didn’t cost me anything but a little time and effort. Signed. Not ashamed of being a weirdo.

9 Likes