ADAPTech Projects

i think it would be fine it is going to be belt driven so the belt can slip if it gets stuck. \

4 Likes

You could always use set screws. Journal where the hub will fit on the shaft, drill and tap it. Or tap where it would be on the hub and allow the bolt to just nest in the hole unthreaded. Like a deep seated grub screw.

1 Like

You can also mill out the keyway on the shaft, and hand file the keyway on the hub.

2 Likes

I am still looking for a keyless locking devise but I can pretty easily mill a key way in the shaft with a milling Machine. I still cannot find a 2 inch inside diameter pulley of any sort.
Do one of you guys have a steel pulley with a 2 inch arbor in it, Laying in a junk pile somewhere that i could buy off of you?
I don’t really care what size the pulley is on the outside As long as it is steel so i can weld to it.

2 Likes

Hi Jacob,
Sounds like your building a chunker? And you don’t want to weaken the shaft by cutting into it. If I remember you have a lathe but not a mill? I’ll look around for a belt pulley that could take a 2in through hole. That keyless shaft locking device is good but not the only way to do it. you could cut a tapered hole in the pulley and make split tapered plug to fit it. I’ll try to find the one I made to fit a 3/4 inch shaft and send a picture.
Rindert

Picture 1 of 4

2 Likes

Well its not a chunker but a machine that will take more beating than a chunker. Id rather not say what it is till i get it finished. I have access to a mill and a small lathe, but i don’t have a way to bore with the lathe over 1.5 inch.
I need to connect a rim to a 2 inch shaft as a drive pulley and flywheel. I can cut a key in the shaft easy but i cannot find a 2 inch keyed hub of any sort . The ones I find are very expensive. I haven’t found any at the scrap yard. i like the keyless type but ive kinda moved on to the other because they are so expensive.

6 Likes

Here’s something you can make with a lathe. The tapers can be cut using the compound rest if you know how to grind tools. Ask me any questions.

10 Likes

If it is a cnc mill, I have seen round holes milled out with those. I don’t know if there is anything for non-cnc mills.

Here is an overview of a coupe of methods:
https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-us/knowledge/milling/milling-holes-cavities-pockets/pages/default.aspx

2 Likes

I haven’t posted much recently. but here is a little update on what we have going on around here. We are trying to get ADAPTech up and going again. starting with some much needed infrastructure.
cleaning block
KIMG0028
KIMG0032
KIMG0033
forming concrete for footers. I don’t have nearly as many pictures of concrete footers as i thought i did. We poured 9.5 yards of concrete the other morning in eight different places.
KIMG0038
KIMG0040
KIMG0041
we hauled the sawmill back over and were able to do some milling yesterday ANd used some of the lumber to to frame up a floor system for a small shed. We are milling the logs we cut last spring while building the road to the back side of our property.
KIMG0043
KIMG0045
KIMG0047
KIMG0050
KIMG0058

KIMG0063
KIMG0060
We finished nailing the decking on the shed last night but it was to dark for pics i will try to get some of that along with the concrete today.

We have had a cold front blow through. It got down to 24F one morning but thankfully that dosent happen much. I did get cold enough for my boss to decide than he needed to put a heater in the shop. this double barrel stove does well.

the wood stove dosent stop much around here either.
KIMG0035

between the ice delivery and working a couple days a week building barns and what were are doing here life has been busy.
Also i bought a couple acers with some old junky houses on it Ill be posting pics of that as i cleanup and teardown.

16 Likes

Good to hear from you Jakob. And yes by the pictures you all are keeping really busy. Keep warm.
Bob

8 Likes

Good advise Bob. I heard that a couple nights a winter it actually goes below freezing there. :smiling_face_with_tear:

9 Likes

Hey Tom .

I have learned when some of you folks post with pictures I will put a coat on before opening the thread :joy:

14 Likes

It sounds like you were a good scout Wayne. Always prepared. :grin:

10 Likes

Now, what y’all fussin bout?

9 Likes

Rindert,
Is that you back when you were a kid?

4 Likes

Yup, I was 17. That would have been winter 1981.

5 Likes

I think my thermometer broke. It says 13. We have concrete coming Wednesday, so we’re off to finish forming. Taking the 7 mm with us in case the polar bears show up.

12 Likes

Remember when al goore said the polar bears would be dead by now :joy: my buddy in alberta is sitting at -42c right now. Said every engine he has trucks cars snow blower are all shoved in the heated shop or are running cause fuel and oil dont want to flow at those temperatures

10 Likes

Awww. It ain’t really that bad.
I lived, and thrived, in Minneapolis for eight years. We would usually get a week or ten days of about -40°F. I had a 15 yo plus Chevette, POS to drive. But I kept a can of WD-40 in the car and a remote starter switch, so I could crank the engine while spraying WD-40 down the carb. It ALWAYS started, as long as everything else was in repair. You can accomplish the same thing with a rag soaked in gasoline, but WD-40 in a spray can is less messy.
The same trick still works near Denver. I run 70% ethanol fuel and have a fuel injected car, which starts a little harder. We just came through a -20°F spell. No big deal, I just used the little red straw that comes with the WD-40.
Years ago I poked a little hole in the rubber intake fitting just downstream of the air filter and now keep a little thumb screw in it. I made the thumbscrew by silver soldering a washer onto a sheet metal screw.

15 Likes

Sorry for not updating more. I have been running as hard as i can. still have two more weeks to get ready for the program we have going. We are expecting 15 students for a few days at the end of the month so we have been trying to get the infrastructure to a usable state. the classroom won’t be completely done but it should be dried in this week.
We finished the boat shed It works well. I was intending to pour a concrete ramp into it when the truck was here but i forgot with all the other pours that were going on at the time.
KIMG0064
KIMG0069

KIMG0081
KIMG0291
Footers and walls

KIMG0065
KIMG0066

KIMG0089

KIMG0103
the footer got broke the first time so we are adding more steel in to repour again over the old one.
KIMG0108

KIMG0133

KIMG0167
KIMG0168
KIMG0171
KIMG0173
KIMG0176
KIMG0177
KIMG0179
KIMG0188
KIMG0190
KIMG0196