Air Carbon Fuel Cell

Hi Hristijan, one of those will be on my list of tools to get. It sounds like a bead roller:

Bead-Roller

A good supply of hammers and anvils will be at the top of my list. Here is an interesting sheet metal pdf:

http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/features/wp-content/2011/09/Sheet_Metal_Fabrication.pdf

6 Likes

Stuck at the Cleveland Clinic for the biopsies, heading home Saturday. Did a lot of YouTube sheet metal video watching and it seems that I would be better off with just some hammers, bunch of anvil type stuff and forms. The fancy machines have their problems!

I did find a company that has a nice selection of 5 and 6 gallon metal pails.

https://www.thecarycompany.com/

6 Likes

Back home and in front of my Raspberry Pi. :grinning:

Tired but sorted some stuff to take to the auction. I would like to get rid of stuff that will not be used in two years, de-clutter my life a bit.

This would have been my business model in a few years, oh well. More of a one man show and OK to outsource some of the work, locally, because that still creates jobs. Speaking of jobs, I would not want to be an employer or in other words a slave owner! Not for me. The exception would be a neighbor, no traveling to speak of, that did not want a ridged schedule. I would be 200 percent in favor of an apprentice. Then later could sub some work out to a person like that. Yes, meager income. I believe reaching for millions of dollars is fools gold.

Patents and secrets would be taboo! Sales would be based on my name only. Yes, learning how to live on a small income just as valuable as knowing how to build and operate the Air Carbon Fuel Cell. The product would have to use as common material as possible and be able to be built with simple tools, at least to start with. I do enjoy and appreciate high tech devices and materials but would never want the product to rely on that if at all possible. Yes, designed to be duplicated by others. I would diversify with other forestry products like lumber.

I am planning to just update this thread. In other words; any generator or forestry stand improvement machines would be posted here. Unless someone has a reason to keep the subjects separated?

:sunglasses:

7 Likes

Ok. I’ll jump in, it’s only a modest work, but relates to forestry, making smartest use of energy.

This was a direct copy of a model offered on a website. It can be used by hand with a T handle, or on any length of rope, or a 2" ball. As a fetching arch it allows retrieval of logs from areas you can’t or wouldn’t go with machinery. Keeps the logs clean, any length can be handled. For use on rough ground larger diameter tires would be smarter. The commercial model had interchangeable skis for use with a skidoo.

8 Likes

I like that small log tong. Interesting way to make the arch, round shape out of plate. Nice!

3 Likes

It was easier to cut the profile out of 11 or 10 ga, and weld than to bend tubing.

4 Likes

I rescued a load of rectangular tubing from my neighbour on its way to the dump. The “handle” is a knocked over lamp-post that happened to get bent into what I needed. Wheels were stored away in my shed. Can’t remember where they came from. My arch is not as pretty as yours @taitgarry00 , but it works.

7 Likes

Have an old book with instructions for homemade batteries. Been meaning to post this for two years, just could not make the time. Here is a little less than half the pages. It ends with a homemade lead acid 6 volt battery. More to follow when I rest up a bit.

More to follow.

JO_Olsson, nice arch. Thanks for sharing!

9 Likes

Hi Jeff,
I remember books like this when I was 10. My dad got me a chemistry
set when I was 10, so these books just fed my science curiosity.That was it, man,
I was hooked on science for life. Thanks for the post. Will you post the
book title and author, please? Thanks.
Pepe

3 Likes

Hi Pepe,

It is entitled “The Boy Electrician” by Alfred P. Morgan.

A few more pages:

More to go.

Having fun with Gimp.

4 Likes

Four more pages:

Four or five more pages to go.

3 Likes

These are the last of the homemade battery pages from “The Boy Electrician.”

The end.

6 Likes

A 6 volt car battery for about four dollars- wow!
Thanks, Jeff.

3 Likes

Yes, thanks Jeff. I love this stuff. I keep hoping that I can come up with some cost-effective method for making a rechargeable battery. Nickel, Iron, salt, wood ash, charcoal, magnesium, copper, aluminum and zinc are on my hot list of possible components. No doubt this is a fool’s errand for me. Somewhere I have an old book that describes a rechargeable cell made from long strips of cloth layered with graphite.

4 Likes

I have been looking at different batteries for my off grid system, it would be nice to be able to make my own. The cost of batteries are hard to swallow when electric here is 9 cents a kwh. But I have always been independent, and don’t want to rely on outside sources.

2 Likes

I would probably just use edision batteries if I was going to roll my own. The efficiency is okay at like 55% and they are rock solid. Lion has better efficiency. The newer tech lithium iron phosphate is extremely cheap to produce. I don’t think it is that hard to make either.

Wow Al 9 cents ,i am one of lucky ones over here so i thought, as i only pay 51 cents a kwh peak hours plus tax and between 11 pm and 7 am and on weekends 31 cents a kwh plus tax and then $1.60 a day supply charge , they offer me a discount for pay on time that takes the price down to 31 cents peak and 19 cents off peak and $1 a day supply , they also pay me 75 cents feed in from my solar , thats only a 1kw system as i have a small roof space that gets the sun , needless to say thats why all my power tool , computer and tv use come from my battery bank charged by other panels in the garden and charcoal generator .i try never to use grid power during daylight hours when the sun is shining
Dave

5 Likes

Where would I find info on making Edison batteries? I looked for nickle plate, but could not find a good source.

‘‘The newer tech lithium iron phosphate is extremely cheap to produce. I don’t think it is that hard to make either’’ If this is true, way are they so expensive? I checked on Edisons from China, they were 7k for 800amp hour

1 Like

We pay about 14 cents per Kwh and about $4,6 for 1 gallon gasoline, and about $4 for a gallon of diesel

1 Like