AL Trip Report

Took some pictures with the trucks. Video of today’s drive is on it’s way.

It has been great seeing this come to pass… really nice to see you pickin’ and grinnin’. Awesome adventure too and a legacy to boot !

Looks like a fairy tale ending to me!
Congratulations Chris!
I’m waiting to hear the details of your first ride!
Terry

Here’s the video from yesterday.

Please note that performance on this system is at about the minimum. I know of a few leaks to seal up. I still need to add the exhaust heat exchanger, which will add 5-10%. Plus we can open up the restriction later on once I am a more experienced woodgas driver, Wayne started me off small on purpose but I can go to a bigger opening later on. He plans on starting big and possibly cutting back if he has trouble - since he’s an experienced driver. Remember, 20% machine, 80% operator experience.

Truck is running good. Plugged some leaks and tightened some clamps and screws.

Here we go up a steep driveway.

I’ll be interested to see how you do on a long drive temperature wise and speed wise. You may find more leaks in your welds when you were using the flux core welder. I just silicone over those if the area was cool enough.

Yes, I know there’s air getting in my old welds. I am handy with the silicone though. And it runs to suit me for now (55 up hills) Things can only get better!

Hey Chris S, I like all that crap under your hood !!! I have a bunch of smoke bombs (for leak checking) stored in one of those ammo boxes I picked up at Wayne’s last visit. My truck ran just fine today. I haven’t fired it up in months. It won’t keep up with you guys though … See you in a few weeks hopefully … This Lyme thing is kicking my butt again. The purple blotches on my back are going away so maybe my massive tetracycline doses are doing their job. … Mike

Chris S, Did you remove or move that under the hood picture ?? I don’t see it here anymore ?? Mike L

oops, Guess I’m a page behind … ML

0-60 test. Not a sports car by any means, but we got there alright!

And he is still grinnin :slight_smile:
I think we all are :slight_smile:

That’s very good…I had between 37 or 38 seconds. What size block? 318? What is the time to 60 mph on gasoline?

Yes, 318 V8. My time should get better with practice and final tweaks mentioned earlier. It’s not been tested on gasoline but it would of course be quicker, my guess around 20 seconds. It’s a heavy truck that has put on some weight this last two weeks. Not really overpowered anymore.

One thing about woodgas, there’s no booster for quick bursts (accelerator pump), you have to make the gas as you go. Consequently you don’t get that jerk of acceleration unless you are in a very overpowered vehicle like the Dakota. But once you are up to speed it just keeps gaining, and it will exceed the speed limit without issue.

It’s great that you still have three quarters of your truck bed left! And you have lots of space around all of the equipment. In your hometown, you’ll have to tell people that those tanks you’re carrying keep you away from the gas station… What fun!!! See you soon, Doug D.

Chris fueling up for trip back to Kentucky.

The filling station for the return trip look very different from those coming here.

Wish I was ready to build I like your filling station alot more than the commerical ones that are charging an arm and a leg to fill up. See ya in Indiana

Posting from the road. everything’s fine, at McD’s in Dunlap TN with dirty hands but a big smile.

Details and video coming later…

Home safe and sound. All the way on wood. Will post more later.