Alternate Fuels and Processing

Hi Jeff i havent even set up with charco gasifier yet, though it seems a lot of waiste of fines in charco grinding, has any body come up with a cheap glue too make briquettes out of the fines yet.? looks like enjoyment step ONE Complete.

2 Likes

Hi Kevin, not enough fines too bother with when fueling small engine. I like the fines to go into the ground. I think of it as a soil tax to help the next crop of trees. In the past I have used boiled starch as a binder for switch grass charcoal. No idea if it would hold up in a gasifier.

4 Likes

Ok thanks Jeff i may try that boiled starch sometime, ground up newspapper may work as binder i heard may allso be posible in gasifier briquette makeing .

5 Likes

Wood flour is sometimes used as a binder. I’ve seen it used to help bind foundry sand. It’s just very fine sawdust. So you probably have some handy already. Just use the right mesh sieve.
Rindert

2 Likes

I have also used algae, from my pond, as a binder. I think I used it to bind sawdust from a band sawmill.

3 Likes

With regard to foundry sand, wood flour is not the binder.a small percentage is added to hold moisture. It is clay that actually does the binding

4 Likes

I came across this earlier. Indian researchers are developing new types of hydrogen fuel generators.

5 Likes

hydrogen storage is the first thing that needs to be fixed…
useless if you can’t store enough fuel…

2 Likes

I store all the hydrogen I can store safely, it is stored in my solar cells made from wood. Last for years. Some of the wood I have is 25 years old.
Bob

9 Likes