Building kinda of an gasifier, raw bamboo is the aim

ok, i check and change

2 Likes

Video’s should now be visible

8 Likes

Thanks very much Koen . Looks like you have the bull by the horns :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

I will keep you and the doctors in my prayers for a safe removel of the tumor and complete healing to good health in your body. For Yehovah’s name sake in and by his words Name Yesuha.
Thanks for the update.
Bob

11 Likes

Congradulation KOEN on your bambo gasifier, it looks allmost like it is charco burn,Clean flare,. May the lord be with you at your surgery, In jesus name i prayers for you healthfull recovery.

6 Likes

Koen,
Hope this finds you well and recovering!
I have watched your excellent videos. Is there any possibility outside air is getting into the gasifier before (or even after) the nozzles? It seems to me the flare is burning too well (inside the exit / output) after you taped the secondary air intake of the flare “mixer”. Also would help explain the weakening of gas when the very substantial industrial blower is ramped to high speed. I can imagine that unit can generate quite a vacuum and would find “leaks” not readily apparent. Forgive me if this is foolish advice! :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

Hi Mike,
Good observation !!!
Indeed there might be airleaks downstream after the nozzles.
That is now next on the schedule to install few mods/enhancements.
The other thing for flaring is the gas speed at flare nozzle. I have to build a bigger one ( shower head type) to allow lower gas speeds.
This blower can ramp up to 300 cubic meter / hr
I was running at 100 only…
Disadvantage of using bone dry material is the slower flamespeed hence easy blow away the flame.
But… i got lemons…

8 Likes

How are you doing on the healing up after the operation Koen? Still praying for you. May blessing on you.
Bob

8 Likes

Sitting front dr office as we write…
Stiches to be removed and to get the verdict on tissue testing.
Keeping fingers crossed.
Huge scare side my left jaw/ear, but so far all well

11 Likes

Yes Koen ,We hope for a quick healing :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

Quick update…
Thanks to all good prayers and wishes the outcome is good.
Tumor was not yet morphed into worse, removed entirely, no further treatment needed.
Now only wound healing, some rest and fresh mind for the future…
Thx all

20 Likes

An interesting presentation with some data relating to Bamboo as a source for energy production through gasification. What many people in the U.S. don’t know is that Bamboo can be grown in a wide range of climates, to include cold and dry, and grow and produce unbelievably quickl, making it viable for large part of the U.S. including even the northern regions and more desert parts.

It appears to me that Bamboo, besides it prolific production per acre, might be good for a gasifier because of its low ash content and its naturally drier (around 15%)? Is this correct?

3 Likes

@k_vanlooken would probably know best, and people do use it.

IIRC it has a lower energy density then wood as it is a grass after all. Depending on the type whether it is clump or running, the running type is extremely invasive.

There is a US native bamboo species which I forgot about until I was trying to look up similarities between flora between the US and Europe. I suspect it was originally brought from south america, which was originally brought from pacific islanders along with yams :slight_smile:

The US decided to roll with switchgrass which is native and has extremely high drought tolerance and can be handled by traditional hay machinery, and has high yields of biomass per acre.

It doesn’t sound like an issue, but with all the farms that have been abandon over the years similar to hemp farms that were busted as pot farms in the 80s, just letting go a native prairie grass does far less long term ecological damage. If it is abandon, then it is just a replanted native prairie and works naturally to build the soil.

But the bottomline is we use so much energy, that biomass won’t ever be able to supply our energy needs. It certainly can replace some of it. But the time/labor and energy required to produce and process it, makes it hard to compete on a cost basis for strictly energy purposes. Now for industrial chemical manufacturing or other carbon based products, which have a higher margins/values, it can be cost competitive. For strictly energy purposes, solar and wind are actually the cheapest and easiest. For the homeowner solar is the easiest and most lucrative option provided you can initially fund it and have space for it, which are the tripping points for a LOT of people.

4 Likes