Chainsaw running on wood gas

This is too kool, The bellows idea is sure genius!!!

That is pretty great! I suspect its going to be a little difficult to make the face cuts, though :laughing:

1 Like

That’s allright!!! :sunglasses:
I dont want to know what the inside of the crankcase looks like, or the rod bearing, or the cylinder wall. But hey thats a detail to work on. I wonder about those Mercury two strokes. Did anyone woodgas or chargas one of those? I think it might make a very good powerplant.
Rindert

1 Like

It would require an oiler mod to keep it going, I think it would be interesting on a lawn mower.

The biggest take away for me was the Bellows, that was such a great idea.

1 Like

A common saying is ( where there is smoke there is fire )

I like to change it around a little ( where there is smoke there is tar ) :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Yep, again I just love the bellows idea for getting a gasifier going. I am not adventurous to do 2 cycle engines…

i know this is a topic that kind of petered off, but conceptually…what about a 4cycle chainsaw…but instead of having a gasification unit being built ONTO the saw, have a unit on a dolly like wheel system you can roll along with you. THEN use a hose attachment after proper filtration to attach to the saw.

this way you can maintain MOST of your mobility with the saw and use wood to power it properly while filtering the tars properly

2 Likes

Honestly Thomas I think a gasifier feeding a generator and using a corded chainsaw would be better. Or a generator powering a charging station for battery saws.

Electric saws have come a long way even in the last 5 years. I got a Greenworks 60v saw with a 20" bar and it runs almost as fast as a 2 stroke saw.

5 Likes

yea, thats pretty fair. especially with what would be a constant need to adjust the fuel/air ratio in the fly. doesnt hurt to dream though, lol. to have a chainsaw MAKING the wood itlle be powered with just tickles me.

OH what about wood chipper? ill need to check the archives and forum filter to see about wood chip usage

4 Likes

Check the latest Thrive Off Grid posts here on the forum, Matt has made a very good wood chip gasifier and found some gas powered chippers that can be fed with the gasifier.

3 Likes

whoo boi that opens up one heck of a rabbit hole of how many appliances and machines use gasses to run instead of electric. dryers, refrigerators, chippers, the list would be overwhelming. i need to pull back some and focus on the gasifiers i have and polishing them up. lol

4 Likes

Bigest problem is woodgas fust doesent like to spin fast and rapidly change load. Exactly what a chainsaw is

5 Likes

Battery chainsaws are fine for small tree felling and cutting up limbs and branches but they are not going to be very effective for anything larger. Corded saws could be used for bucking but you are not going to be dragging a generator into some of the areas I cut. 2 stroke saws are still the best tool for the job. Gasoline dependence is their only downside. We are just going to have to figure out alternate liquid fuels to run them that have similar energy potentials as gasoline. Alcohol does not but it has been blended with synthetic oils to run 2 stroke boat engines. My saws are mostly 60 cc. If you got into the 90cc range you could probably get alcohol to produce enough power to match the smaller saw engines.

8 Likes

One of the greenworks is saying they are comparable to a 45cc saw, which replaces the smaller saw. It is about the equivalent of the stihl 251. As far as getting it on woodgas, i agree. I am not sure generators are allowed in the state woods because of the risk of a forest fire.

A number of the trucks have ac outlets on them now, and the EV ones GM/Ford planned or has are capable of charging a battery in the woods.
That makes it possible, whether it is practical or not is questionable.

5 Likes

Still thinking about this. A corded saw and a battery power supply could work. A 15 amp saw would take 1800 watts with the current drop from an 100 foot extension cord you would need 1900. I looked at a lot of reviews. The makita got the best reviews overall. Priced between $250 and $320. For the price of the Makita you could get two Oregon saws. For the price of the Stihl you could get two Makita’s if you got the lower end price on them. The cheapest 2000 watt power supply on Amazon was $950 but to get something with more storage capacity you are adding on another $500 or more. They are heavy but I suppose you could get a small ATV into most places you would be cutting wood. We are under a dangerous air alert from the Canadian wild fires today and my wife is making me stay inside so I have to keep occupied somehow.

6 Likes