Charcoal gasification methods

Yes, in fact this is an plasma gasifier but you consume a lot of current inside process. I don’t want ashes from process. Regards Marco

Hi Marco, if you run a carbon arc under water you get pure syngas wit no ash
ounce the steam condences out

Ok, that is syngas, what about the nitro methane you spoke of ?

Sure… I know all :slight_smile: If you use carbon electron under water you produce COH2 gas but isn’t my project. I want consume only in part charcoal but not using an desctrutive process.

Ok… simply you must use the design of Daucie Rose and sent into plasma zone just air (molecular nitrogen and oxygen), catalyst must be present. Plasma ionize air, nitrogen bond with oxygen atoms producing NO or NO2. The reaction can be H2 + 2NO + 2CO = 2CH3NO2 or 3 H2 + 2 NO2 + 2 CO2 = 2 CH3NO2 + 2 O2 in all case you obtain nitromethane. Regards Marco

just wanted to point out, the heat inside the gasifier provides a “cracking” ability for the matter inside, the heat and oxygen “break” the current length of molecules, usually fairly long to be cracked at least once, but with plastics and oil products the lengths can be considerably longer and more energy is available, more carbons chain lengths means more is available to oxidize and create by products co co2 h2o ect… when you back off the oxygen but retain the heat you begin to get gas that has products ready to oxidize further, if we just had a fire the air would naturally oxidize the gas to the fullest extent right there, but we pipe it to the engine

condensing and compressing vapors can do the opposite of cracking and join long chains, such as oil being under pressure in the ground, or “fischer trops” process i know i misspelled that but im tired lol

the same cracking process is used in making gasoline, but long story short we cant crack and “build longer chains” in the same process unless there is more control in the reaction process (pure specific ingredients in specific environments) and i dont think an (8.5-10)-1 compression ratio in an engine will do the trick, i could be wrong…

i think these gasifiers will be incredibly more efficient with a decent dose of plastic placed above the wood load, the plastic would melt down and coat the wood. ive looked into just gasifying plastic and you know what happens when you condense the vapors? you pour out oil distilates that can be mixed into gasoline, diesel, practically anything you could want from “crude oil”, and guess what the sulfur is gone because they already removed it making the plastic! its beautiful…
and those vapors run gasoline engines very well… just like woodgas…

and others talk of soaking the wood in oil for better efficiencies, why not just throw in all your waste plastic (ontop of the wood/charcoal)) aswell?

but long story short i think the best way we could make a gasifier more efficient is to increase the temp in the combustion zones, and add ingredients that release more energy/gas, easiest way to do so is draw more air through, that does have its limits, and so does the materials were building with, much more heat and the steel wont keep its shape and thats bad… induction heating just seems like it would eat up too much current, especially since its from electrical energy from mechanical energy, from chemical energy, way to many losses there… just from heat alone, and those heat losses wouldnt increase the preheat on the air unless you built it to do so… but these charcoal gasifiers do need extra moisture somehow

were basically taking trash something useless and getting our energy demands, with some minor consequences but thats life!

the most important thing is if we learn anything from this interesting gasifier, ill be watching this one good ideas and thats what keeps us moving forward

As far as plastics goes all that seens to be neesisary is to melt and then boil it
with no O2. It condences back into the oil it was made out of. Whitch will
run an engine pretty well. {carb made accordingly}

You cannot do the cracking and reformation in the same envirement.
And that is why I keep posting the way I do.

I want pure syngas…It is at least twice as powerfull as woodgas and it gives me the oppertunity to synthetize
whatever I need.
A little H2 though a zinc oxide foam at the right temp and pressure and I have a whole new product.

I can gasify my trash and run my truck. No problem. Well pruven in hittlers rule

But if I can get Pure syngas, then I can make anything that I want.

I have only three things that I realy need.
I need to keep my baby love warm and happy;
I need to have a great grand dream to work on.
And I need to have a HIGHER POWER to respect and answer to.

Any less, and life is futile.

i commend your efforts Daucie Rose, i really do, what is the chemical composition of this “pure syngas”? im interested to know, i skimmed the post but could not find the composition, with that nailed down i can think about the problem better, mostly hydrogen? or what else?

All gasifiers produce syngas. H2 and CO The only reason you have a 40% loss in hp is that you use air.
So the output of gasifier is 80% nitrgen. add that to the 80% that comes in with the O2, and you only
have room in the engine for a 20% usefull mix.
If you eleminate the N2 in the fuel making, you have 40% more room in the engine for useful gasses.
If you could use pure O2 in the gasifier, you get pure fuel. Useing steam, you add H2 .
The plasma is only used when you have to stop at a red light to let an old lady cross the street.
When you are up to speed, the plasma is not needed

Hi Daucie, you wrote … The plasma is only used when you have to stop at a red light… Ok you are asking about exhaust gas recirculation? Can you explain clearly? Thanks in advance

OK, lets use hyoathetiacal numbers just to make it simple Design a gasifier for 500 cfm air flow.
you design it to maintain say 2000 degrees charcoal temp to crack the tars.
At a stop light you’r only pulling say 25-30 cfm and the charcoal starts cooling allowing
tar to get through. Now at green light ,you open the carb and start drawing 500cfm
with your charcoal at say only 1000 degrees. You are giving your engine a big dose
of tar for the 20-40 seconds it takes to reheat the charcoal back to working temp.
I will pulse the arc welder just enough to keep that charcoal at proper temp while idleing.

Also apic of my cheapy induction junk. A $75 cooktop with the leads brought out
for my own coils The 4 qt melts a full charge of aluminum in about 30 min at 500 watts.
The refractory coil does about a cup in 50 sec. And the little cigar tube does a 1/2 inch
drill bit red hot in 3-4 sec.

second try

Hello Daucie can you upload an diagram part regarding that photo? I don’t understand completely how your scenario work… seem you use also an light of printer? Please reply … Regards

Marco, I am so sorry to have to say this to you; But if you cannot see what is happening int thatphoto
THen I cannot explain it to you. This stuff can kill you DEAD.
I’ve been an electricion all my life… Been ZAPPED a thousnd times.
If you donnot have the intuition then best leave it alone.
There is a thousand ways to do a thing; find what works for you.
Wayne Keith has proven very well, the practicallity of this art.
And if that is what you want,then build a PROVEN design.
If you have an intuition, please share it with us.
That is why I bought Matts M-1; because it was PROVEN.
And it works well when used properly
My goal is to PUSH the limits and learn.
Many of the things that I do shoukd not be published
And I am learning that;.
Many things that can be done in a labouratory cannot
be given to the little old ladies that just want to be warm.
I will moderate myself from now on…
And you FORAM moderators; please help me. BLANK ME IF PROPER.

I mean this,       DAUCIE

But I am new to this and I am learning

In my younger days, I had toFLY. My wife took pitty on me and found and
bough a hang glidder… I flew over cliffs and canyons and oceans.
Always ther were the “want to bes” beging use to let them borrow our kites
and fly like we did.
There was this couple that looked like identical twins.
Now, he was a natural, We strapped him in, and threw him off the hill,
and he flew perfectly and safe.
We were so hypt up that we staped his wife into a glidder and flung her off
She died that day.
There are many things that I use on a daliy bases that I will not trust to my wife.
I love her, but she simply doesnot under stand. I cannot afford to expose her to
the hazzareds that I am so comfortable with
What is second nature to me, can be deadly to other.

Daucie, I don’t want test your system but just understand mentally how work. If you can sent an design is appreciated. Regards

Think I can satisfy us both here.
search " simple diy induction heater-rmcybernetics"
This unit only gets up to 80 volts where as my setup
can reach 500-600 volts . and it’s only about $20

Sorry Daucie… but I don’t understand… you have sent an diagram, induction is used just for supersteam production and plasma for heat charcoal, isn’t correct? Or you have found method for use just induction? Regards

Hi Daucie, Marco, Arvid, Brent, Peter…everyone…

Wow, the induction stuff is really cool. I got interested in plasma on another thread here at DOW and found this one tonight.I like a good puzzle that someone else has been making a lot of progress on.

I do not recall seeing this combination of plasma and steam augmentation (injection?) before, but I am sure that I had seen steam injection for charcoal units and I had also read that reducing (to be clear - not introducing) nitrogen would help improve the gas. I can also see how keeping the internal temperatures high (or making sure there is sufficient dwell time in a large char bed?) would keep things cracking throughout the range of operating conditions although electrical gadgets are not simple to do, they could offer improvements.

I spent 4 months of personal R&D time (hours few and far between) making a pellet feeder for a BBQ smoker, and had all the electronics working nice, but scrapped the project and went with gravity fed charcoal because I had motor/auger issues, and this type of system introduced several individual “points of failure” and added frustration and delay to my 4th of July cook in 2011.

Looks like the induction coil is used to make a really fast water heater (superheater)… are you using a conventional fuel injector driven by the PWM to meter the steam in proportion to the output CFM required for the syngas? Would that be linear or based on some kind of “fuel map” ?
Would you need to use an inverter or something to take that show on the road ? Last week I saw some uses of modified automotive alternators that generate enough current to weld (takes high RPMs though)… would that be an acceptable alternative to the buzz box ?

Good stuff guys.

Hello, Gary
I sure wish I could just run a WK and grin with the rest of you guys.
BUT, where I live, all the local stations remind us 10 times a day;
we have the worst air quallity in the nation.
So any puff of smoke coming out of my truck can get me pulled over.
Modified emmitions; we don’t even want to talk about that.

I resubmitted my drawing because I added a cone heater
Probably the start-up sequince would explain things more clearly
than trying to explain each part.

The real challange will be the boiler It must mantain a temp of
1500 degrees with no water…then hold that temp at full flow.
I need the high temps but I don’t want high pressure

The cone heater should raise the charcoal to opperating temp
before anything else is turned on. Then it becomes a cooler.
it will need water cooling at all times

I think I can do it all with three HP . V-10 should b able to handle it.

Anyway, it’s just an engineering challenge I LOVE A GOOD CHALLANGE

DON’T YOU? Love you all Daucie