Charcoal Making Anecdotes

That is a great looking build - It might be worth asking to have this split off into its own thread?

That is an interesting design, I am looking forward to seeing it in action. How wide are those slits in the grate? With the nozzle in the way, and a fairly deep design, I am thinking it will be hard to get at the slits to do a proper cleaning - I might suggest you think about some sort of grate-agitator. Maybe just a rod that was bent to match the inside profile of the grate and that could be twisted from the bottom.

I second Kristijans thoughts about slag - exhaust gas or steam injection will do a lot to keep those slits clear.

I will say I am really excited to see someone take on a downdraft charcoal build! Keep us posted.

2 Likes

Today I tested the operation, …

15 Likes

Wow, another Lucky Luke. Fast build and functional!

4 Likes

Odlično! Zdej ni več pomoči, si okužen z lesnim plinom za vse življenje :wink: to je kronična bolezen.

Si kaj eksperimentiral z vbrizgavanjem vode ali zpušnih plinov?

Mimo grede, telefon mi je padel iz žepa ko sem kuril veje in zdaj je ocvirek. Napiši mi prosim telefonsko na zasebno sporočilo pa te pokličem iz ženinea telefona da bova kako rekla.

Great! There is no help now, you are infected for life. Woodgas is a cronical disease :smile:

Did you experiment with EGR or water injection?

5 Likes

Hi Everyone:
I have being working with Tone on a secuense of drawing of his Charcoal making devise:

Eddy Ramos (Argentina).

11 Likes

Hi Tone,
nice gasifier! I’m very interested how the nozzle design works, it is similar to what Max Gasman has suggested years ago, but no one (as far is I know) has ever tried it.

I’m only afraid, that your grate (the slits in the wall) will get blocked by ash and that they are hard to clean.
Nevertheless, good work and I’m looking forward to see more of it!

2 Likes

Hi Til, I only tested the device once, the nozzle will be ok, I will just reduce the bell a little and lift the nozzle by about 15cm and I report.

I cooked another round of charcoal, this time from fresh chips, boiled for 30 hours, tried just!

In the meantime, I’ve been servicing an old Deutz diesel engine, changing the nozzle, belt, cleaning the tank, repairing the exhaust pot, repairing the electricity, … it may be good for running a Christian saw, or … but first it will have to smell wood gas.

12 Likes

Another test on the BCS mower, I added a tank with water and a copper coil in the lower part inside the gasifier

9 Likes

I am curious about how you set up your steam generator. I am looking at a still image at 0:14 where I can see a new metal structure welded on around the gas outlet, is this the water tank? Is it passively heating from the outgoing gas, or is there copper tubing inside the reactor? I like how you have plumbed the steam in from the bottom, looks promising. I found that steam really boosted gas quality on my generator, so I will be interested to see what your conclusions are. Keep up the good work, I am looking forward to seeing your contraption in action!

2 Likes

Hi Carl!
In the lower part, there are 3 wrappers of copper tubes fi 6 so that they cool the generator gas, then it is sent back to the tank, and the steam extraction is connected from the top of the tank and via the siphon tube to the suction side, in the lower part of the siphon there is a hole for drainage of liquid

Borrowing Bruce’s sketch, i added in the water tank and the siphon tube that feeds steam to to the air inlet.

looking back at the video I see there is an external copper pipe that goes from the top of the water tank to somewhere lower on the reactor - It was not entirely clear to me from the video where it was going. Are the coils you described down in the ash pit, or are they inside the gas outlet channel? Also, I only saw one pipe, is there an internal connection somewhere?

1 Like

it is not as beautifully drawn as Ramosedmundo would draw, but I hope it is understandable…

3 Likes

Yes, that drawing is quite clear now, and it looks like a good design. Insulation on the steam delivery tube would probably cut down on the steam condensing back into a liquid, but the drain you have devised seems like it also prevents the water from getting into your intake, which is good.

Sorry for all the questions, but I hope to someday get around to making another charcoal gasifier, and I am always looking for design elements to “borrow” :grinning:.

I wanted to know how you got the coil of copper tube inside the reactor - it was added after the unit was assembled, was it not? Also, while I am asking questions, is that 1/4" tubing, and did you use bronze braze or a lower temp solder at the joints?

1 Like

I wound a spiral outside and then screwed it inside, a little effort, I used www.brazetec.com for brazing

2 Likes

Hi Tone , couple of questions that i may have missed seeing .
Are you lighting it from your air inlet pipe ? if so what do you use , and is it easily lite after say 3 or 4 runs , mine always lite up within seconds on fresh charcoal , but take a little longer on old fuel left over from the last runs .
The other thing i notice is on the steam coming into the air inlet the video makes it look like its also blowing steam out and away instead of sucking it all into the inlet pipe when ever i have tried this nearly every last bit of steam vapor was sucked in .
Anyways its a very cool build glad to see more charcoal generators on here and cant wait to see how the internals have all held up when you strip it down for maintenance .
Dave

3 Likes

Hi Dave!
I burn through the inlet hose, a piece of charcoal burns the gas burner, otherwise I only boiled twice. I still have to do a cyclone filter and a gas mixer to make the thing useful.

3 Likes

Hi Tone,
Maybe I missed this, but how are you going to remove the ash that will accumulate around the slotted grate? I see the clean out plug below this grate but don’t see how you are cleaning out the slots when the gasifier is working. Or are you going to clean them out when it is cold and do so from the bottom clean out?
I’ll also be curious to see how your “tent” over the nozzle holds out. In my experiance, they got destroyed by the heat. As Dave, mentions, it will be nice to see how everything holds together after extended run times.
Gary in PA

7 Likes

Hi Everybody:
I have open a new topic call:
“Hi-Temp Carbonizer for bio-waste”
It’s a very simple carbonizer. The result is a low tar, blueish & crispy charcoal.
I don’t want to be redundant, so that is why instead of posting it here again, I am simple refering it to this new topic.
Best Regards.
Eddy Ramos (Argentina).

5 Likes

Hi there to everybody:
For some reason some people can not find my topic: “Hi-Temp Carbonizer for bio-waste”, so I am posting here the last page of my first post in that topic.

God Bless.
Eddy Ramos (Argentina)

5 Likes