Charcoal Making Anecdotes

Bruce,
Yes, I see the problem with insulation on the outside of the drum. It needs to be heat resistant AND water resistant or at least sheltered from rain in some way.

1 Like

What’s the difference between Yankee maple and Rebel maple northern aggression??:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Lep pozdrav vsem!
Tudi sam sem se lotil izdelati peč za kuhanje oglja , malo kopiram Kristjana , ki je prav tako uporabil cisterno od kurilnega olja , le da sam imam namen vsaviti manjšo v večjo in…!

Greetings to all!
I also started to make a stove for cooking charcoal, a little copy Christian, who also used a tank of fuel oil, except that I have the intention to push the smaller into a larger and …!

6 Likes

Looking good Tone! I like the grate for primary fire! Be sure to make the burn zone accesible, as the things get hot its hard to stay near for long.

5 Likes

Southern maple is softer wood. If it grows in cold places it seems to get much harder. Therefore, better. The term yankee is not a derogatory term, it pretty much just means “northern”.

and yes, things have changed a lot since the war of northern aggression. :upside_down_face::smile::grin: Praise the Lord.

3 Likes

Še vrata…

7 Likes

Billy
I must not live far enough north then most of the maple here’s soft. At Argos you played the northern aggression card to poke a finger in our Yankee ribs so I thought I would return the favor. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Hopefully I’ll see Jacob and whoever else in a couple months. Broke the cutter on my chunker this weekend. Picked up parts today and started making new cutter so he’ll have fuel when he gets here

2 Likes

No worries Tom. …

1 Like

We have both soft and hard maple. Both make good charcoal however hard maple charcoal is more dense. Was it hard maple that Mercedes Benz used in their early engine bearings?

3 Likes

Pri nas v Sloveniji veljajo ostri uprotivirusni ukrepi in se jih resno držimo , redno razkužujemo usta in grlo
In Slovenia, harsh antiviral measures are in place and we take them seriously, regularly disinfect our mouth and throat.

in pa počasi delamo
and we are slowly working

10 Likes

Ha ha, vino? You mean home brew slivovice? Zivjeli

2 Likes

That was my grandfathers practice and he lived to over 99 years old. Must work. Just don’t rub your eyes.

4 Likes

Good job Tone on both keepng the virus down and making a great kiln!

I failed to mention to you the other day, you can direct part of the pirolisis gas trugh a cooler/condenser and extract some tar and wood vinegar. Two wery usefull things around the farm!

4 Likes

Kaj domača slivovka diši vse do Amerike?:grinning:

1 Like

Ne znam, moja zena Bosnia

1 Like

Well if anyone knows anything about Slivovka (plumb moonshine) its the Bosnians. Thats their national drink…

But l must say Slovenian Slivovka is probably more anti viral. Bosnian and Serbian stuff is much lower in alcohol while the Slovenian stuff is usualy in the 50-60% range.

6 Likes

Hi Ton
ingenious and beautiful construction. what do you want to do with all this charcoal?
and all these BTUs (heat energy) released by cooking wood?

Thierry

2 Likes

Namen imam izdelati uplinjevalnik oglja , ki bo služil za pogon najprej na traktorju, oglje bom uporabil tudi kot gnojivo pa tudi za namen kovanja,… toplota pri kuhanju pa v zrak.

I intend to make a charcoal gasfier, which will be used to drive the tractor first, and I will also use charcoal as fertilizer and also for forging blacksmithing … the heat of cooking into the air.

No pa je pripravljeno…
Well, it’s ready …

15 Likes

Danes sem zakuril,… 2pm drv -polen v notranji posodi, kuhanje potkalo 8 ur , juri odprem,…

Today I smoked, … 2pm firewood - full in the inner pan, cooking for 8 hours, open yesterday, .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNDxQ2BZtCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqcRtAjyrpk

6 Likes

Ni dvoma da bo oglje vrhunsko! Upam da si dovolj ojačal peč, kot si najbrž opazil je v igri ogromno energije in toplote…

No dubt the charcoal will be top class! Hope you reinforced the kiln well, there is a lot of energy and heat at play…

3 Likes