Charcoal powerd Seat Arosa 1.0

Hi guys; Sorry I can’t find it right now, but we just finished a discussion on timing on another thread. I was trying to make a case for using the “knock sensor” Anyway if I could find that thread, I believe some where in the discussion it was stated that the Dodge is one of the few engines that really benefit from “mechanical distribute advance”. In most others the computer does a good job of adjusting it. I know I have heard it said that the Dodge V6 does not gain benefit from a mechanical advance ( on the other hand I do it on my V6 and can NOT say definitively if it helps or not ) Then you come to a computer controlled 4 cylinder and I really doubt if a mechanical control will help.TomC

1 Like

Right Jo, but not just when suddenly revving up or down. A simple time delay for adjusting the retard (from 10 to 5 in the example) is good for only one speed. At double the speed the same delay would effectively cut the retard in half since the engine would rotate twice as far in the same amount of time.

1 Like

Autch!!! Of course!!! You’re right.
I usally sleep on it - this was just a sudden thought.
Consider my previous post deleted :smile:

1 Like

Yes. Of course you are right. So much for that idea.

Maybe it would be possible to physically change the position of the sensor slightly?

1 Like

The only other solution I see to “dummy” the sensor would be to interpose a more complex circuit, which varied the delay based on RPM. You could always do it with an Arduino, but that would not exactly be simple, elegant, or cheap.

Hello Mr. Tom

I have run some motors on woodgas that were old enough there were no computers. 84 ford 460 V-8 , 87 dokota 3.9 V-6 and a 4 cylinder tractor . All of these I could retard and advance the time by a little twist of the distributor. In the case with these motors it made little difference in performance and speed and you would really have to listen or feel for it.

With the computerized V-8 dokotas and rams it is like night and day when the time is advanced. ( just ask anyone that has operated one :grinning:) Little power and plenty of backfires if not advanced :confounded:

The experts say the timing can not be advanced on these motors. I agree but we can make them cross fire ( jump to the next peg or plug wire )

Below may be the thread you were looking for. Please try to stay warm.

The answer to Mysterious Dodge Timing advance

2 Likes

I have a rather simple and far shot idea. What happens when you unplug the sensor in the distributor? My thod is the computer might go to a “basic mode” and let me set it all by hand. Have to try that right now! :grinning:

1 Like

Correct idea.
Older computors systems DID have a disconnect wire to allow for distributor basic timing setting. WHY you have the slotted distributor mounting.
The problem is in computer bypass disable then you will have NO speed and loads timing changes from the computer.

Is there an older mechanically and vacume advanced distributor possible for this engine?

Regards
Steve Unruh

2 Likes

I think my comment is also in the sudden thought category. Twice the speed would be twice the retard, 10 to 5 would become 10 to 0.

1 Like

Kristijan, I was under the impression that you where fine changing your timing by turning the dist, since your spark trigging cam shaft position sensor is within the dist?

To tell you the truth l havent had time to set the distributor so i just drive to work on gasoline setting. I will place a sistem Chris sugested but l thoad it wuld be nice to let all the settings be set by hand.

Well about the litle experiment… The engine dies instantly when the cables are disconected :neutral_face:

3 Likes

I just tested the advance. I set the engine runing at 2800rpm on chargas and rotaded the distributor. The rpm came up to about 3050.

The test run gave me mixed fillings. It seems to realy pull at about 3000 rpm bat up and down from there its preaty dead. When l shift up it starts to tug and shake until it comes to right rpm.
I think l will set the timeing just a few * advanced compared to the original setting tightning the bolts and just live it as it is. Afterall the car is ment to be “a drive to work at a 70kmh traffic for an hour a day”, not a race car :wink:

4 Likes

for some engines i work with, i am considering to install a second sensor and switch from one to another depending the fuel.
Some of the engine here have only a fixed ecu system, no map or maf, just throttle position, cam position, lambda sensor and knock sensor…
The ecu is programmed in some fixed positions with limited adjustments…
but the ecu mapping can be altered rather easy :grin:

Waiting for my new programming gear to arrive…

4 Likes

Kristijan,
I don’t want to sound pushy but (borrowed that line from someone else) would it be possible to get a glimpse of your Seat in a refuling/lightup/driveing-video? I’m sure it would be very much appreciatied by everyone. If you don’t want to, that’s OK.
Went backpacking by rail through Europe in my youth in the 80s. Went through your area, Yugoslavia at that time. It would be very interesting to see what it looks like now.

4 Likes

I have it all on tape but my computer dyed so i cant upload. If someone culd tell my how can l upload by smart phone l wuld be so thankfull!
As for your request to show you how it looks like here l have a better idea. The railroad is still functional here so perhaps you culd just get your self a backpack and come to see it in person again. I wuld love to finaly meet someone who is in gasification. I am most likely the only one in this piace of earth :pensive:

4 Likes

Open a youtube-account and upload there. That’s the only way, pc or phone. Then you just copy the link and post on DOW.

I would love to visit again, but I’m too tied up by work these days. I have a maximum of 4 days off in a row and would probably only get to Denmark before I had to turn back home :disappointed: If you ever have the opportunity going north, you are very velcome to visit.
Yes, woodgasing is a lonely business. There are a few woodgasers around here, but I’ve never met any of them in person. I don’t know if any of them are currently active either. DOW is the only active daily using members forum I know of.

5 Likes

And it is a truely something special so keep up the good job guys we are building the future together!

7 Likes

There is a “Yahoo Woodgas Group” also. That is where we all hung out until DOW took over. I go there every few days but I have a hard time finding my way around it anymore. For those interested I believe there is a Yahoo Charcoal Group also. TomC

4 Likes

Hi Kristijan,

I plan to visit Croatia this Winter with my family. This could be the opportunity to see your little “Seat” and meet you? Slovenia is at a hop from Croatia!

Thierry

1 Like

I wuld be honored :grinning: what part of Croatia do you plan to visit? I live about 40 km from the border.

1 Like