Chevrolet s10 4.3

Good morning Jan.

I have flushed as JO has done at about 30-40 k miles but I think the pipes were not very sooty or clogged to start with .

6 Likes

Thanks JO and Wayne.
I looked in my pipes and there is almost no soot in them, but I think I found the fault.
I had to run on petrol today, not good.

11 Likes

Ya that could change the mixture a bit I would say. Glad you found the problem, Iā€™m working on a tar clog in my hopper drain pipe right now. Think my next build will be a little more accessible to get to this pipe. Kind of a pain to get at right now

7 Likes

Yup tar clogging no fun. One thing I changed is I have no 90Ā° angles in my piping coming out the hopper going to my collection container. I used 45Ā° so the tar is always working its way down with the hot water coming from the hopper. 2" piping helps too. 2" drain with rubber end cap.
Bob

9 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was thinking is a slope to help the tar drip down. My top gutter is 45, the bottom is 90. Go figure bottom is clogged which in turn clogs the top. Everything gassifier related all seems to come back to ease of flow and movement

9 Likes

Yup you got it. Keep it flowing even in the hopper wood no bridging, firetube Charcoal and ash, a little slippage off the grate, gases through the drop box ,cooling rails, hayfilter and up to the engine with no blockages.
Bob

9 Likes

Everything you ever wanted to know about your 4.3 L chevy.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=power+nation+4.3+liter+chevy+engine

5 Likes

Thanks Tom, then I have movies for a few nights to watch.

7 Likes

Jan, if you havenā€™t learned about this yet you can replace the plastic upper intake manifold for a cast iron one found in the 4.3l Mercruiser and Volvo marine engines. Replaces the spider injector with common rail injection as well. You have to use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to lower injection pressure but I thought I would let you know. Not sure how hard it would be for you to find a kit but I do know that they use the same year generations as the automobile engines. Took me forever to find one for my 2011 but I will look further into replacing my plastic manifold for one of these.

4 Likes

Cody, I have an aluminum intake on my car, but would like a different type of injection, but do not know how it would go at the inspection.

6 Likes

I thought you had the plastic intake.

I have heard if you tune the fuel pressure correctly you can get better fuel economy and power out of the 4.3l with the new intake runner. Maybe it would let you tune down fuel trim to decrease emissions.

2 Likes

I only start the car on petrol, so I do not use much petrol.

6 Likes

Is it any of you who have Motortrend on demand?

@tcholton717 your up sir, I let my subscription go December so your more up to date then me

How much does it cost in ?US

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/

Itā€™s part of my Satellite TV package but Iā€™d absolutely pay the 5 bucks a month for it even though most shows are reruns. Iā€™d probably pay just to get Engine Masters.

The NHRA season started again last week so Iā€™ll be spending about 5 hours of my week ends watching that again but thatā€™s not on MT.

1 Like

Ok, what I understand it is something that can be watched online, my oldest son usually has it, but they have closed to anyone who does not pay from the United States.

Thatā€™s annoying. Have you tried using a VPN to get around it? Or maybe a PayPal account?

Yes, he has tested vpn, but it feels that he is in Sweden, he also has paypal, but is not allowed to pay from Sweden.
Do you have paypal?

Yes I have PayPal, if youā€™d like I can see how much an account costs and just set one up for you.