Chevrolet s10 4.3

No, they have analyzed the soot from a gengas car.
But Sean explained so I understood, thanks, just amazed at how much it is

7 Likes

The iron is probably high because of iron burning or wearing in the gasifier.

7 Likes

That was my thinking also.

2 Likes

What’s wrong when the car almost dies when I give it full throttle, if I don’t give it more air at the same time?

5 Likes

Good morning Jan.
It might be your air filter is dirty and gives too much resistance at high flow .

You could experiment by removing your filter and see if you have the same result .

11 Likes

I hope you’re right, I was starting to suspect it, so I just bought a new one.

11 Likes

It got better with a new motor filter, but more difficult to adjust the gas-air mixture, sensitive, thanks Wayne.
Do any of you have an idea how I can get the soot cake to drop from the filter?
The cleaning is very good, little resistance after cleaning, but after about 200km (120miles) the resistance is about 60 -80 mb (20-28inc) across the filter.
Have tested a few different frames that keep the canvas apart but none that make any difference, do know that smp could drive at least 2500km without cleaning, but they had square windows of approx. 16", don’t know if this would make the soot release better?

10 Likes

No. :slight_smile: But the first question I would ask is how tight is the canvas? My uneducated -guess- is that if it is kind of loose, it has more of a chance to vibrate and bounce or flex and that would naturally knock crap off.

The second question of course is why is so much soot getting to that filter. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The fiberglass cloth is a welding blanket, and it becomes quite stiff due to the soot.
The fact that there is so much soot on the blanket is because I don’t get anything into the engine, I now understand how much soot comes with the gas despite the cyclone and other filter media.

8 Likes

I am not sure you can get gas into the engine. But I am glad that soot isn’t making it into you engine. :slight_smile:

If you tap on it from the inside, does it flake and fall off or is it embedded into the fibers of the blanket?

3 Likes

Oh it’s no problem driving, 50-60mph works, but I’ve been spoiled with how it runs when the filter is clean, and at idle I have to give it more gas or it stalls.
If I tap the filter cloth from the inside, the cookies fall off.

9 Likes

Hi Jan, good to hear from you.
Do you have a cyclone in your system? If so, try to by-pass it, some coarser particles will help the soot drop easier. It looks like you catch most fine stuff.
Abandon the cyclone will need you dont run the gas directly to the filter canvas, it just needs to change direction or hit a sheet metal plate before it hits the canvas, just to stop BIG glowing particles from hitting the canvas at high velocity.

9 Likes

I forgot, does your soot feel “fatty or greasy”? Then it could be small amounts of moisture in the soot, no harm with that, but you could try insulate the piping some.
Reading temperatures after filter is interesting, i have experienced no soot cakes falls of before outgoing gas reaches around 130°c

11 Likes

Yes, I have a cyclone, could try not cleaning it, then it should drag in coarser things, I fill the cyclone quite quickly now after putting the glass fiber filter in, I think I have better suction through the unit now.
But I had done the previous cleaning, had 4" of soot at the bottom of the fiberglass filter, and the cake was the same (last filter picture) the soot is not greasy or wet, comes off easily when I blow clean it

Has between 200 and 300 (roughly) degrees (c) into the filter.

10 Likes

What do you think about running hotter gas into the filter?
Insulate the pipes between the cyclone and the filter, I felt the outgoing pipe from the filter now when I got out to the lake, about 10-15km, and there were no problems with keeping my hand on this, I have insulated the filter with 2x8mm foam rubber (liggunderlag) maybe it is too badly?

6 Likes

Your filter temperature seems perfect, would be interesting to see the outgoing gas temp, with a probe directly after the filter.
Otherwise i can’t think of something wrong, it seems the pressure drop are very depending on the filter load (area), a equilibrium point where the filter is self cleaning.
Maybe some soft springs inside the filter would help the filter breathe, let go of the throttle, and it helps the filter dump soot cake?

7 Likes

Yes, I thought about making a new one with horizontal springs on every other post, but I wonder if you are not right about the gas being too cold out of the filter, the car seems to run better the longer I drive.

9 Likes

I was thinking some sort of thing that spun like a wind turbine to thump the sides as you go. :slight_smile:

But much easier would be if you could add say t-shirt cloth or canvas to the outside of the filter as a pre-filter and maybe it would cake up and fall off that a lot easier.

1 Like

The filter hangs down in a barrel, so shaking the barrel doesn’t work, it doesn’t affect the filter. It’s 600 degrees f on the gas entering the filter, so cloth won’t work, and it’s the fiberglass that should clean.

12 Likes

I am starting to understand. :slight_smile:

Probably another dumb idea, but what if that crossbar wasn’t welded, and instead floated so it could bounce. Even if it was confined in like a u-bolt or c-channel, it would get some movement. But maybe you guys don’t have as many potholes as we do, we have places where you can’t drive the speed limit without risking losing a kidney. :slight_smile:

5 Likes