Chevrolet s10 4.3

I’m still working on the brakes on the PV, saw today when I took them apart again that I have 3 new bands and 1 old (wasn’t worn) it pulls in the direction the old band is, could that be the cause, the old band braking better?

6 Likes

Old brake shoes often brakes better, because they are “worn in” to match the drum diameter, but i dont think it should do that much, especially when only one are used.

4 Likes

Some questions, @JO_Olsson , had you tried setting the ignition 4-5 degrees earlier, and did that make any difference to the power?
What thickness do you usually use on sheet metal, when welding car sheet metal?

5 Likes

On the Mazda truck I advanced as much as the slots allowed - maybe 5-10°. Not enough to make it ping on gasoline. That was a long time ago and I can’t remember if it made a noticeable difference.
On the Rabbit I operated the dist extensivly with a cable, but couldn’t tell no difference at full power at all. The only thing that happend was it altered the idle sound and rpm.
The Volvo still has standard timing and as Göran mentioned the other day the only reasonable way would be to relocate the crank sensor (which is hidden snug to the firewall :unamused:)
I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful.

7 Likes

Oh, and sheet metal. I don’t even own a mig and I do all my welding with sticks. I’ve done very little body work. The latest repair was the Volvo’s “threshold-box” and I tacked in place an old “house-window-splash-plate” with a thin stick :smile:

9 Likes

Ouch, sheet metal bodywork with stick…
Been there-done that. A lot.
And i just hate it, especially from down up, in body coat…

Im impressed :saluting_face:

7 Likes

No reason to be impressed Göran - you never saw the end result :smile: I guess the body tectyl is what
mostly holds that sheet in place. But as long as the inspector is happy - so am I.

7 Likes

Thanks JO, I think moving the ignition doesn’t have much of an effect on newer engines, maybe has to do with higher compression, then I don’t need to bother with this.

7 Likes

Hi JanA.
Both Tone and Joni on their compression boosted engines say they then did not need then extreme ignition timing advances for wood gas.
Regards
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

For your 1995 production 4.3L it would have had a 9.1:1 Compression Ratio when brand new.

For reference my 2011 year 4.3L has a 9.2:1 Compression Ratio.

Still better than the older engines for sure. The compression ratio in the 1987-1991 models saw a huge bump from 8.6:1 to 9.1:1

Highest ratio I see for the 4.3L is from early 80s models going into cars like the GMC Caballero or Chevy El Camino at a 9.3:1

9 Likes