Co2 Converter

Sorry Chris, but this time i call you out.

You wrote:

"I’ve moved this to it’s own topic, because I want to call you out. I’m sorry to say this, but you are either confused or outright deceiving with this claim. “Our team does not longer treat CO2 as a problem, but as a valuable source of renewable energy.” You’ve talked many times about burning CO2, reducing it, using it as fuel, etc. I don’t want to leave this uncorrected any longer. There are a lot of smart people on here who will back me up on this.

CO2 is not “energy” in any sense. It represents “spent” energy, consumed hydrocarbons. You cannot get more energy from CO2, it is IMPOSSIBLE. Physics is on my side here. You may convert it, but only by adding energy. Then when you burn that, energy added is now released - it’s right back to CO2 again. Any hydrocarbon fuel, including wood and charcoal, must eventually produce CO2 and water vapor.

You are not reducing the amount of CO2 even by recycling the exhaust, you are only slowing down it’s production. The same amount of CO will enter the engine, will burn, and the same amount of CO2 will be produced, and must be evacuated to the atmosphere. Recirculating it doesn’t make it vanish. You’re also ignoring C02 production at the charcoal retort. A pound of wood makes a certain amount of CO2 no matter what you do with it - even letting it rot away. This is positive news for all gasifiers - they use wood that would otherwise rot, and the same CO2 is released regardless.

In order to reclaim a flammable gas from C02 inside a gasifier, you need to input a large amount of energy, as well as hot carbon. This is a large thermal load and will cool things down (that’s good in a charcoal unit, and the only reason to do so). Energy is used to convert CO2 to CO. This energy is provided by - you got it - burning more charcoal, which means more CO2. It’s a zero-sum game.

Nobody has ever claimed that a gasifier will reduce CO2 levels. It’s foolish to claim so, because it won’t. There’s only one process that reduces CO2, and it’s not gasification…

Plants and trees love CO2, and consume it right back from us. A world filled with trees and gasifiers could go on forever - we call this being “carbon neutral”. Not adding, not taking away. A very different claim than “consuming CO2”. But this one is quite accurate, and well accepted science.

Sometimes gasifier folks will say it’s “carbon negative”. This doesn’t mean we’re consuming CO2. It refers to the biochar which is sequestered into the soil, where it is effectively un-burnable, won’t rot, and the C02 inside will never be released. Seen this way, eventually a world of gasifiers and trees would have carbon enriched soils, and less overall CO2 levels.

Let’s focus on the true positives of gasification (renewable energy, carbon neutral/negative) and not make misleading claims that violate physics."

Chris, this time i would like to debate your lack of knowledge and your display of it.
i will keep it civilized.

“You’ve talked many times about burning CO2, reducing it, using it as fuel, etc. I don’t want to leave this uncorrected any longer”

Chris , a gasifier has a reduction zone, where as Co2 is reduced to Co.
The reaction is called “the boudouard reaction” The higher the temperature, the higher the conversion rate ergo the less Co2 in your gas.

“CO2 is not “energy” in any sense. It represents “spent” energy, consumed hydrocarbons. You cannot get more energy from CO2, it is IMPOSSIBLE. Physics is on my side here. You may convert it, but only by adding energy. Then when you burn that, energy added is now released - it’s right back to CO2 again. Any hydrocarbon fuel, including wood and charcoal, must eventually produce CO2 and water vapor.”

Chris, The claimed converter does not burn the Co, he just uses thr provoked boudouard reaction to convert Co2 into Co again.
Co2 is not about “consumed hydro carbons” its about “oxidised” Carbon.
Wood and charcoal are no Hydro carbons

“In order to reclaim a flammable gas from C02 inside a gasifier, you need to input a large amount of energy, as well as hot carbon. This is a large thermal load and will cool things down (that’s good in a charcoal unit, and the only reason to do so). Energy is used to convert CO2 to CO. This energy is provided by - you got it - burning more charcoal, which means more CO2. It’s a zero-sum game.”

Chris, The hot carbon IS the energy.
But in your words i read different.
The hot glowing charcoal provides the 2 important necessities for the conversion Co2 to Co, namely HEAT and Carbon

“Nobody has ever claimed that a gasifier will reduce CO2 levels. It’s foolish to claim so, because it won’t. There’s only one process that reduces CO2, and it’s not gasification…”

Chris, did you ever read about the Kalle gasifier ? He is actually the first ever who mentioned the use of extra exhaust gas and the maximum amount of Co2 that could be added. (20%)

Here is another set of people that claims the same as i do… but they never build a device that can do it

Imagine a gas producer that works on the same principle…
blow the charcoal hot with air ( the blow fase)
but this time you not play with water , you use Co2 to provoke the boudouard reaction,
cool the charcoal down with Co2 ( the gas fase )

balance the energy needed to maintain the gas quality.

Chris, this principle to generate water gas, that was invented more then hundred years ago.
Then they had no idra about the effect of Co2, but sure they would find a solution for it.

You wrote:
“Plants and trees love CO2, and consume it right back from us. A world filled with trees and gasifiers could go on forever - we call this being “carbon neutral”. Not adding, not taking away. A very different claim than “consuming CO2”. But this one is quite accurate, and well accepted science.”

Plants and tree’s do not consume Co2… they absorb it and use Photo synthesis to convert it into Carbon ( for their cellulose) and oxygen, which they release into the atmosphere…

You wrote.
“Sometimes gasifier folks will say it’s “carbon negative”. This doesn’t mean we’re consuming CO2. It refers to the biochar which is sequestered into the soil, where it is effectively un-burnable, won’t rot, and the C02 inside will never be released. Seen this way, eventually a world of gasifiers and trees would have carbon enriched soils, and less overall CO2 levels.”

Chris, again… Biochar is charcoal, is a purer form of carbon. It is NOT Co2 period.
trowing away that charcoal from your gasifier is a pure waste of BTU’s used to produce that charcoal in the first place…

you wrote:
“Let’s focus on the true positives of gasification (renewable energy, carbon neutral/negative) and not make misleading claims that violate physics.”

Chris, if you would focus on that, you would convince far more people with correct knowledge then with attacking those who do have that knowledge.
If you try to use the words " violating physics" put those words in the context where as the violation did take place…

Physics are very clear and defined.
Use the energy from hot charcoal ( carbon ) to provoke reactions-conversions

Koen, I don’t appreciate threads I lock being re-started. As moderator I must decide when a discussion is finished, and close the door. You said you were done, I said I was done. End of discussion.

I do not intend to respond to your posts above.

Let me repeat - when I lock something, it stays locked. Thread closed.