COMMITMENT - Make wood-sweated DIY Engine Fuel for 365

I never heard of those to be honest.
I will look into it how about that…

OK Bitchute is out.
I just read its full of Nazis who got kicked out of every other platform.

Dailymotion is french…
Who ever heard of anything fascist coming out of france ? ( joke work with me here lol)

Odyssee looks interesting
Its not a question of privacy or free speak.
Purely a matter of intellectual property and the freedom to share ideas no strings.

2 Likes

Bitchute and Odysee seem up your alley, they’re Blockchain style hosting like a Torrent.

1 Like

Hi Wallace you could always send to another member to upload on your behalf i am sure there are a lot on here that would be willing to help out , but then of course the power that be will still be taking there pound of flesh from it .
We use "Telegram " for hosting chat rooms and video’s and we share video’s on Viber and WattsApp to users phones , but just quickly looking on line i see hundreds of video hosting sites i guess they must all make a living out of it somehow .
Dave .
PS how about the family groups that a lot of these sites have where you invite those to come in and look , sort of invite only

1 Like

I used to use something called Putlocker.
It was a good place to store video and images, it was free and I don;t recall any restriction or advertising.
That’s probably why it folded up too…

Hey it still exists.
But now its pirate movie site.

1 Like

Hi Wallace of the three most common automatic choke slowly opening schemes: exhaust heating; coolant warming heating; or engine running supplied electric coil heating it is the electric I have come to like the best.
Exhaust heating is too fast and corrodes tubing, passage ways and actuators.
Engine coolant it too slow, corrodes&flow-clogs, and then leaks too.

I agree much with you it is about intellectual property rights and acknowledgments.
Every PhotoBucket type storage system I have tried got without permission hacked and distributed out.
I do view youtube because I learned that I must as the only way some guys show and will discuss their works. I avoided it for years and years.
And even restricting there it is creepy when youtube shows with recommendations and targeted Advertisements that they are always watching, tracking, trying to influence you.
Regards
Steve unruh

5 Likes

I too avoided Youtube and anything googly for a long time but now the ability to glean information is of prime importance to me and it’s all on youtube. Some of you see a bright future. I see that light a long way down a dark tunnel and between here and there are a lot of challenges I need to adapt to. I’m not in business and don’t need to protect any intellectual property though I understand that research and development is a lot of effort and investment and I have no issues with people protecting it if they feel the need. If I post a video, at least fifty people have already posted something like it and they have talked way to long and boringly.

5 Likes

That’s a sisson mounted direct to the engine block

This is a big block Honda purely vac operated

In operation.

This is the choke in its cold state you can see that its about 2/3 closed and the by metal spring inside is holding.

The solenoid is de-energized the engine is hot fully warmed up
If I were to stop the engine and start cranking again the solenoid would pull in but its unlikely there is enough spring to fully or even partially choke.
This image is what things would look like once warm and the heat from the exhaust manifold has heated the by metal and allowed the choke to full open.

Now I reached slightly out of picture and lifted the choke arm on the Sisson up to lift the plunger in the choke solenoid and fully close the choke.
This is the energized cranking full choke position.

This engine is fogged for storage and in a ready state.
I really did not feel like making a video to show this

4 Likes

Thanks for expains Wallace.
My favorite modern small engine choke is on a Honda too.
Not exactly fully automatic. You lever hand set it; winding a spring. Crank the engine up to start. Then the engines single cylinder vibration slowly walks it spring moved to fully open.

TomH for myself Intellectually Property is not about being able to monetize it. It is about my developments and my control of releasing them.
I have done a lot of dead-end tries. Done a lot of things it seems no one else can duplicate. Or even would want to duplicate - stickwood gasifying in a unique old cast iron woodstove. I did it. It can be done. Heats soon kills the stove. And because it was a woodstove others will then try this inside of homes and shops in thier own woodstoves. Woodgas CO kills.
Those few picture I put up restricted, got snagged and broadcast out. I was pissed. Pissed. Pissed.
For a pack-rat possessor to hack into my histories is just pure theft. No matter how pretty the bow of,
“Information must be freed up open to all!” modern creatives common they wrap themselves up with.
S.U.

3 Likes

Sounds like you were looking under the hood of a GC mower engine.
They use a wax pellat that expands with heat.
Its reacts pretty fast, but long term they have issues with all those heating and cooling cycles the wax leaks out, then they don;t work.
The whole GC engine is a lot of compromise to get costs down.

When the dust settles you have to look at do you want a Honda built cheap enough to compete with a Chinese clone of a GXV engine.
Will spend the money to buy a real commercial or would you rather a second rate copy.

I think a second rate copy of a great engine is probably better than grade A build designed to be cheap as possible…

Im not a big fan of ANY Honda choke.
Kohler had the best system with the first generation XT “autochoke” because it combined a by metallic spring and vac pull off.
Trouble is as built they could not be tuned ( I made mine adjustable as you can see in the photos )

This is absolutely flawless.
But the EPA would not allow you to set how rich you want your choke and as built the tolerances are all over the place.
See, you cant adjust the dam thing, its WAY too lean after a few heat cycles.

Correction:
You were talking about the version on the GVX commercial.?
Not really automatic you have to set it.
I’m not really a fan, you can;t build a remote start engine around it.
Upon closer examination of the video this is just another stinking GCV and they gave up on the wax pellat because it was too unreliable

You know I have a GCV in the bone yard.
I am so unimpressed with it I never bothered to try and fix it.
Its not old…

I had a briggs powered self proppel unit dropped off a few weeks ago .
Its engine is an even bigger steamer rather than repair I places it with what I used to consider THE steamer of the lawn mowers a Techumseh…

A quality Chinese engine you can trust

I am going to go out right now in fact and fire up the blue Mongoloid and mow.
I got a lot to mow and there are things hidden in the grass that make mowers die.
But not my good Chinese mower, that’s just for my yard…
The mongoloid is for my neighbors field of wheat where I need 7hp of gas swilling, oil burning furry to hack through.
And if it dies a trainwreck? Puft…
it was just junk anyways, I have that Honda I can wreck next…
Grass Season is almost over and the mongoloid snow blower season is next

Another one bites the dust

And some mowing music

2 Likes

Yes. Yes. That Auto Return Choke is the one that I actually like.
Good video. He misses though that the little black plastic gear mech shown between 6:15 → 6:27 is a drag slow-down mechanism. Temperature sensitive wax or silicone oil?
Yep. I forgot that what started this was BruceJ’s asking about remote auto-starting possibilities.
After decades cleaning adjusting and repairing all of the automotive systems auto-chokes the no-touch stepper motor and duty-cycle solenoid system just can’t be beat for functionality and no service needed life usages.
But, yes. Then into I’s&0’s, line by line programming.

Wallace I think your grump with these consumer grade Honda’s and the same B&S’s and the 1st in the Tecumseh’s to go really cheap “use-it; throw it away” down spec builds is because of the aluminum cylinder bores. Once the bore is gone, you are truly screwed. Low compression then needing ether to ever start and then a blue smoke oil pumper.
In the past on the all-aluminum B&S versus the Tecumseh’s I would only try and work with the Tecumseh’s because of the float bowl carburetors.
I’d thought I’d hate the wet belt driven overhead camshaft Honda’s with plastic camshafts. Never a problem one with those for me in 10 years now. Just cylinder/piston/rings wear even using the best of synthetics oils. But at ~600+ hours on a meant to be 150-200 hour service life engine.

As you know the industrial grade of these OHC Honda’s have cast iron bores. I expect my two of these cast iron bored ones bought new; properly broken in by me, and oils maintained by me, to be at least 1000 hours service life engines. Ha! I’ll know in another decade just how long of service on those wet belt cam drives.
S.U.

3 Likes

I have only seen catastrophic failure of the honda consumer grade once, but it was in bulk. Something i would deem to be a recall but I didn’t pursue it as it wasnt my problem just something I noticed out back of his shop and asked about in passing conversation. A local small engine repair shop had a pile, I mean like 4 pallets worth of them heaped up junk. All were the same manufacture of a dirty cheap 3000psi pressure washer, all had the same failure broken timing belt gear on the crankshaft side. Valves go bendy bendy! I still bought a pallet of them for 20$ and sold off the still good pressure washer pumps and scrapped the engines for aluminum, made a few bucks and got a pump for a Tecumseh pressure washer I had that went through freeze thaw with water in it. Still have it, motor is wore out and low compression and needs some love juice to get going but still works good. total investment was I think 35$ minus wand and tips

5 Likes

The Chinese engines are probably the best made these days.
They have an Iron liner, decent valves decent ignitions and carbs that are lean but decent.
Generally everything these days starts first pull but they don’t last very long.

Valves are so small I had a hard time refacing them for another engine I thought I should keep these in case I ever need some.
Or I could use them as nails.

I didn’t clean this Briggs and Stratton head, it just didn;t last long enough to develop any carbon.

I do kind of like the all plastic Briggs carb.
For as long as it lasts it will not corrode like others do with ethanol gasoline

3 Likes

It might be a reality sooner than later. Friend that traded the Cavalier to me has a neighbor selling an old Ranger. If I can get that for a reasonable price then I’ll retire the Mazda to farm use, take off the nice Weber carb and straight plumb for woodgas.

1 Like

Hi BruceJ,
I went back up and linked to one of your posts because you’d kindly posted up the BTU’s energy in a U.S. gallon of gasoline.

On my Harbor Freight 9500/7500 big inverter generator unit I am now getting some running hours per gallon gasoline testing data.
They only supply 18.5 hours running on it’s 6.6 gallons fuel tank at a 1/4 load. Be ~1875 watts. So that’d be 766194 fuel BTU’s for 34.60 kW/hrs of electricity.

So now broken in and on the oil I will long term be using; unloaded at ECO low rpm I got 4.7 hours on a measured one-gallon run. Repeated on a separate day. And got 4.8 hours unloaded for another measured one-gallon run.
This establishes the Inverter-generators’ base energy use just to run itself.

I have other one gallon measured runs too. All from cold starting including 5 minutes warming up before loads applying. And once it was broken in enough to establish good compression, I am able to do these cold starts manually with one hard rope pull.
I have a 800 watt loading run. A 1800 watts run. And a 3000 watts run.
Won’t quote the hours data yet until at least 2nd confirmation runs on these.
Ha! Ha! At over $5.00 a gallon here in WA State now again for the E-10 gasoline the wife is objecting to my “un-necessary” generator running. (She paid for half of this beast.)

Very necessary as I did not pay extra for a one- or two-year warrantee. 90 days and if it’s going to develop a problem, best it do it now. And the only way to prove itself is to loaded work it.

How this relates to woodgas is these gasoline runs will give me the size of woodgas system to tune my BensBuilt gasifier for. And it’s rough wood use consumption. How many effective useable electrical kW/hrs I can expect in 3-4 hours woodgas one-hopper batch runs.

No auto starting here for us. Set up. Get stabilized. And walk-away until out of woodfuel is the goal. And that in a system that can power the deep well pump with 240 VAC.

For true gasoline watts making sipping, the Wife’s Honda 2000 is the system can’t be beat.
Ha! But 25-50 pounds of property grown wood used later will be the for-sure DIY power.
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

This is exactly my philosophy for Harbor Freight power tools and equipment. Work them hard and if they are going to break it will either be right away or in my experience, they will last pretty well. I have a six inch bench grinder that was bought from an ad in Popular Mechanics in 1980. It still works. I have a half inch pistol grip drill that I didn’t work hard and the trigger broke after about four months. I have a half inch D handle drill that has mixed at least 2000 pounds of mortar in a five gallon bucket and never a whimper.

4 Likes

I have a shoe buffer I picked up at the corner of the street that I put grinding stones on…

From a sustainability perspective I strongly feel people should look at the lifecycle of a thing and ask themselves is it worth my time to own this and try and fix it for life verses the cost of having to replace things.
Ya its not easy to fix things these days, but I think going forward these Chinese inverter generators will die and with some tinkering pick up a second life as better chargers

2 Likes

Almost all of my grandpa’s electric tools still work. His wax motor all aluminum or mag bodied drill, his Black and Decker bench grinder, metal bandsaw, etc etc.

I need to fix his die filer, the bolt that vises in the Files snapped at the head and I haven’t been able to extract it.

3 Likes

Is that Americanise for this tool lol?
or one of these?

1 Like

I just talked myself into buying a open framed 3600watt inverter generator last night nice little unit for $200 when he arrived he had 2 of these generators on the back of his truck , once he had started up the one i was having i asked him about the other one and he said do i want it for spares as it does not run i can have it for $50 , naw i said i have far too many dead things laying around , but oh go on then $ 20 i take it off your hands :grin:
Having a morning cuppa then i will pop out side and see if the scrap one really is scrap .
Dave

13 Likes

I don’t know where to put this so I will leave it here.

At first i thought I was looking at the flywheel off a Briggs and Stratton mower engine
But that just not going to put out the kind of power needed.
Then I looked closer and it seems this is a flywheel off an inverter generator of some sort.

It might be worth remembering that if you have a hydro source and a dead inverter gen you could adapt some of this stuff for supplemental power.
And even if not…
If you have a tiny big of flow and that Briggs and Stratton mower engine blew up well its 5 or 10 amp charging systems might have a second life.

1 Like