Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

The secondary air piped need a down ward turn and drop on the outside or as a sealed pipe in the inside to keep them from just being a smoke path. The concept is that the cold air gets sucked into the hot pipe and pre heated before it can escape causing a chimney effect in the secondary air pipe. If you put the down pipe on the outside you should put a heat shield around it to help heat the air. If it was stove in your house you would want to control the air with a valve here I think you want all that it will pull.

1 Like

If it were me, I would finish the rest and try a good hot burn to see what happens. If the secondary air is working you might be able to open the door and see flames were it coming in. If not you can make changes to increase to flow and make it hotter but at least you will be able to burn if the sap starts to run. Good luck wish I had maples but they won’t grow here. To high, 8300".
When you have a hot fire if there is very little visible smoke the secondary air is probably working.

2 Likes

More freedom being realized. For the first time in my adult life I became debt free.
This morning I went to the company that drilled our well and gave them a final check. He had a bunch of questions for me as to how things have been going out in the woods. He then asked if I want any scrap metal and I said “Of course.”. So we walked out back I thought I was in gasifier heaven. Needless to say, I didn’t leave until my truck was full in the back and the cab.

These are a bunch of pressure tanks with defective bladders.

This is a bunch of cutoffs of well casings, mostly 6".

15 Likes

You better be careful Bill or your back yard will look like mine.

4 Likes

That’s my goal Jim. :slight_smile: I envy you because you can just go shopping in your yard.

3 Likes

Bill you will be able to start building and selling gasificer setups with a supply house like that.

3 Likes

Oh my!! Heaven with Angel Dust no less. Good find, good friend.

3 Likes

Now to find the guy that installs water mains for the 10 and 12 inch stuff. Great find Bill

4 Likes

Thanks Carl. When I look at that pile, I see a bunch of little gasifiers and charcoal gasifiers.

@wobigtd, I was thinking the same thing when I was digging through the pile of casings. I will find that company…sometime.

2 Likes

that’s a mother load nice.

2 Likes

At least some of those tanks have replaceable bladders. Its a pain to get the new one in (must be roled tight) but the new bladder is much cheaper than a new tank. Look for a flange on the bottom.
Fred

3 Likes

one tank on top of a 6" pipe and you’l have … ?
:grin:
must be heaven…

5 Likes

I was about to say the same thing as Koen.

Weld a 6’’ pipe on the bottom and make a place on top to pour in charcoal and you will have a gasifier that looks like Koen’s.:grin:

3 Likes

My attempt at making a sealed fire box. I used a ⅜" angle iron for the holder of the stove rope. I then welded the metal I cut out to the the squared up angle iron to make the door.
A friend gave me a stove blower. I made a flange on the evaporator to attach the blower to.
I just need to reinstall the firebrick and fire this thing up. Sap should start running next week.
A little chilly this morning, 2 degrees F. So frost built up on everything outside.

13 Likes

Looking good Bill. How many trees you plain on tapping this year? Are you going to run a pipe line on that nice side hill you had the bags on last year to make gathering easier? I don’t think I’m going to bother with it this year. I have enough to last me another year. On the scale I made it I would be better off to just sell the wood I used to produce it and save all the time and work. I do really enjoy the process but am going to put the effort into an early start on the garden. I hope you have a great season.

1 Like

I invested in a caulking tube of furnace cement 1/4 inch bead all around and sat the pan down. It kind of evened out the flaws. I’m a bad welded though and the pan itself was not perfectly square either. Everything is frozen solid here. It got warm but a friend who started early said no sugar content yet…
Best regards, David Baillie

3 Likes

Looks good Bill, purpose driven. [quote=“BillSchiller, post:994, topic:1460”]
frost built up on everything outside.
[/quote]

Looks like powder coat to me. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hey Jim.
I may run tubing on bigger clumped trees. I fear with all the Moose tracks, they may tear out the tubing that I run from tree to tree. What I did do is made a trail I can drive through with the snowmobile. This will give me access to a few dozen more trees. I have a sled to pull behind the snowmobile and atv to transport 4 five gallon buckets on. I’m curious with this new evaporator how efficient it will be. Also how much sap I can reduce in a day. I want to start with 50-75 trees but hopefully can handle 100+ trees. The wife said she would help so we’ll see how long that lasts.
Sorry to hear you’re not cooking syrup. I am really look forward to it this year.
When we’re done making syrup, we will start seeds in the house for planting at the end of May.

7 Likes

Hi David,
I was thinking of using the caulk use for the gasifier if it’s not sealing well. I am going to fire this up with water in the pan to see how things work out. I’m still learning about this welder I have and figured out what I was doing wrong with it. So I took a flap sander and smoothed out my welds.
We are getting down to -5 F tonight but then warm up to 40+ F this weekend. So, I am not sure when the sap will run, but I will be ready. I received a 8"x8" glass for the door so I can see how the fire is doing. This is the first wood stove I’ve had with secondary air so maybe I can learn something.

3 Likes

Thanks Carl.
This evaporator has been sitting in my brain since last year at the end of the syrup season. I’ve had plenty of time to think about it. I just wish I knew what I am doing. Sometimes I have to learn by trying something and make changes next year as needed. What I do know is, I enjoy what I’m doing again. Like when I started my company in the cities. This is a lot less stress.
I’m ready for the temporary powder coat season to end.

5 Likes