Discovering my freedom in Slovenia - start of a long book

Tom, l will.

I am one of those people. Thats why aquaponics stopped making sence for me, in a classical way.

Cody, yes, just the sprinkle alone will oxigenate the water. However this pump alone shuld be a excelent oxigenator, look at all the air pockets gulping around, under pressure. Just what you need for air to disolve in water.

Marcus, l plan on making several smaller ponds as most speacies dont work well together.
We have 3 native trouts but comercialy, they were all replaced by your rainbow trouts as they grow faster and biger. So if l mannage to, l will have those someday. But only when l figure out a good food sorce for them. Fish food is expensive and has so much crap inside but trouts need the protein rich food.

The first litle pond lm building is ornamental. It runs next to the house. In there will be native minows and bleak. This pond is in the garden and its main purpose is for some semiaquatic plant to grow on the garden, like water cress.

Second pond will be fed from the pumps runoff, there will be trout. 2 or 3 ponds actualy, for variable size fish.

Third pond will be a big one in the wery base of the property, it will collect runoff from the top ones and the ground there is alredy a swamp or has a spring underneeth. Thats where l will have the carp family fish.

Billy, thats excelent!

What about pipe diameter? Does it matter if l go biger, say 1", if l have super low water sorce in drought?

And the spool radius. How is it important? Not measuring, l think l got about 5 meters of head to overtake

6 Likes

Here you go, the video explaining the layout

10 Likes

A friend of mine had an automatic feeder over his pond, it was a pipe in the ground with a horizontal pipe on top that could swivel out over the water with a metal basket hanging on the end. He would put dead animals, or pieces of meat in it, flies would lay eggs, maggots would drop in the water. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

I have seen the auto maggot feeder seems to work pretty good

4 Likes

Al, thats a great idea! I sure rather do this then throw the dead stuff to the foxā€¦

6 Likes

I just noticed the video didnt upload well. It isnt synchronised well with sound. You guys had the same problem watching it?

2 Likes

I noticed nothing wrong with it

1 Like

No issues with the video at all. People used to think I was crazy for spending so much time with a shovel. You have me beat. You should think about Aircrete for your retaining walls. No savings in the cost of cement but if you donā€™t have a good source of sand and gravel then it cheaper and requires very little form work. I see a lot of father and son time in your future. Maybe the biggest benefit for all that work.

What do you plan to put into those fields? Grains? You will probably be sorry you asked for suggestions. I can get carried away. I do know many ways to get more production out of less space. It is my main focus these days.

3 Likes

I always used a 55gallon drum, and regular (small) garden hose to wrap around it because it will hold its shape and not flatten out like a thin walled irrigation tubing or the like.

I think mostly we used 1/2 pvc stuff for the delivery pipe. I donā€™t know what 1" will do for you. My guess is that it will make little difference. But I am not sure if cross sectional area of the pipe might have an effect. I think the thing works partially on the surface tension of the water in each ā€œgulpā€. air-water-air-water-etc. Not sure if the wider surface area might allow air to more freely bubble up through the water column and cause water to pool in low spots. As the thing works it kind of ā€œspurtsā€ water -air-water-air-etc. In other types of manual pumps we have built, they only work with smaller diameter pipes because the ratio of the weight of the water to friction caused by drag on the wall of the pipe is better. But I donā€™t know where the limits are.
That said, I donā€™t know if your delivery pipe being smaller than your drive pipe tubing would make it produce more pressure or not. Like I said, I only have experience with the one style with the barrel and before that some experience with the spiral kind. Those were hard to build so we just tried it the other way and it worked. I think the spiral thing came about because of some intuitive concept of the inclined planeā€¦but the thing seems to be a function of hydraulics rather than ramping action. But again, thatā€™s just my guess. Maybe a mechanical physicist could tell us better.
I think Bobā€™s idea will work ok if you have some sort of check valve back pressure on each to keep the open tubes from draining backā€¦unless you use different tubes all the way to the end of course. But then I forsee problems witht he transition between the spinning pump and the stationary delivery pipe since there is only one ā€¦well, actually 2ā€¦center points of the spinning radius. Maybe easier to just make multiple units.

But, I donā€™t think the water source volume is an issue at all. As long as you can get the end of the hose under water for a time as it spins aroundā€¦air-water-air-water-etc. I donā€™t think it has anything to do with vertical water column. The length of the pipe while itā€™s under water will be the amount of water it pumps on each revolution.

Of course, the more volume and the higher the falling water you have the more horsepower you have to make the thing spin.

BUTā€¦everything I just said is based upon my guesses.

4 Likes

Tom, l hand dug maybe a hundred feet or so, the rest was done with a excavator. Doing this all by hand is a suicide. The machine threw out boulders in the 400 pound rangeā€¦

Unfortunaly, the neighbour now needs the excavator so backfilling will need to be done manualy.

When l made the video l forgot about the English term of what l want to do. Its not a retaining wall, but a dam! I may install some concrete reinforcers inside, but for the most part it will probably be just dirt and maybee some black alder logs (black alder petrifyes in the ground)

I am however ruminating on what to use as a linerā€¦ The pond foil is expensive. Any thods?

6 Likes

Pressed reply too soon.

I got some wheat sown, some jerusalem chokes for pig feed, some winter salads from last year and the big feald is sewn with a cover crop of barley and oats, later it will be corn. Still to plant are feald peas and potatoes.

Never! Probably 80 percent of everything l know comes from fine folks like you, guys from this site particulary.

Billy, what you say makes sence. But l may answer the question of why most use the spiral way, seems it has to do with the fact that air compresses under pressure, while water does not. So the increasingly smaller volume of each turn has something to do with that. But since you say it works the same, thats good enaugh for me :grin:

However l think l will be making it the spiral way. Solely because l want it more narrow, it will be easyer to install in the trench. Less digging and concreete too.

7 Likes

I know for a fact that Wayne has some great dam builders that would built it just for wood to eat. Shipping the beaver over to you will not be practical though. From all the stone I saw dug out of the trenches that would make some great dam building material. As long as you can move them down the hill. With the earthen soil the dam it will last for a long time.
Bob

4 Likes

Ha, l ve been throwing out stones as l backfill the trenches, l got a couple of nice piles. Thod they will come in handy some day. Now l know where thanks!

7 Likes

I used old house carpet on the inside face of the dam, it fills with silt and sand after a little while it seals up :swimming_man:

9 Likes

Hmm that culd workā€¦ Maybee plastered ovr with some clay slurry

8 Likes

Mineā€™s be holding for about 5 years. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Blue clay???
My wife is a potter and loves the natural blue clay found locally. The last we found was when we had to dig a new well it was 160ft (49 m) down. Might be a bartering commodity.:thinking::thinking:

7 Likes

rubber carpet backing or just the padding might work.

Mine was basically intertube rubber. In the states, when they change tractor tires (at least the service we use) wonā€™t actually patch a tube, they replace them with new ones (to prevent people from blaming a bad patch or missing a hole, etc.) that would be a cheap source rubber but a lot of work to patch it together.

If you watch infomercials in the states, Flex Seal would work. :laughing:

But possibly something like dry-lock might work as well.

The clay they use to seal large ponds is the bentonite, it expands in water.

It looks like you can also use polyethylene. here is 20mil for sale for a liner (polypropylene is mentioned for more hazardous materials)
Agtec Custom PE Pond Liner 20 mil (per sq.ft.)?

since i am on a low budget kick, you could make it really colorful with recycled plastics:

2 Likes

Possibly a Minto wheel could be used. A solar heated water vessel could store a significant amount of heat - possibly enough to keep a Minto wheel operational well into the night driving a pump - such as either a coiled pipe or piston type. The pump used to pump water to an elevated holding reservoir above the fish tank. A small amount of water being allowed to fall onto the fish tank - making sure to splash as much as possible to aerate the water in the tank. Wind could also be used to pump water up to the holding tank.
https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/7432/Minto-Wheel-Resurrected

4 Likes

Hi guys, got some random things to share with you

A few technical difficulties. Fixed, but a nother hole in the pocketā€¦

I installed the new water pump. Its made out of a 6gal beer keg and is compressed air powered. Simple and works good, now l need to get a sorce of compressed air via the trompe or something. It also still has the connection for a electric pump if l decide to go that rute (Tone is wery keen on them :smile: )

A friend of mine helped me with hooking the new house on the fuse box in the old house. This thing is ainciant! And it seems, for some reason, mud wasps find open electric contacts to be some kind of a fetish :smile:

I figured we ate too much meat this winter, so we put it off the menue for a week. After this time, we all thod its about time to visit our pig pen :smile: specialy the kids. They have never before been more keen to helping with the butchering :wink:

13 Likes