Discovering my freedom in Slovenia - start of a long book

Just bought more steel waterfowl shot last week 37$ for 12 gauge 3" #2 box of 25

My hunting rifle 300wm i shoot remington corelokts 180gr and last i bout was 58$ box of 20

Target ammo 9mm 115gr average 23-29c a shot

Target 556 55gr brass case 41-50c a shot

Self defense 124gr 9mm hollow point 33$ box of 20

Hunting/accurized 556 62 gr green tips 72c a shot

Hunting/ accurized 556 77gr 91-1.02$ a shot

It is all very expensive compared to say 4 years ago

Have about 16$ in each arrow setup for my bow but if the broadhead isnt damaged at least i can reuse those

7 Likes

About 28$ here but lead, not steel. We still use mostly lead, hard to change.

121$ box of 20ā€¦ ouch

54c a shot

I took those as an example, it seems shotgun cartridges are cheaper here. If you buy bulk (by the 1000ā€™s) instead they are about 0.57c a piece so about 14-15$ per 25-box.

Iā€™m looking into buying a hunting compound bow for fun with the kids, it is not allowed to hunt with bows in Sweden but if it does become legal then I already have one :grimacing:
Hard to figure out what to get when I have zero experience and donā€™t want to buy a newbie one and to have to replace it later, not in any budget.

2 Likes

Sweet Jesus!!! I can get 50 bmg target ammo for those prices!!!

@KristijanL you have some local archery experience donā€™t you?

5 Likes

Wait a minute, looked at a different site to buy core lokt now. 43$
Man, thatā€™s a massive difference but only different on those for a 300wm

2 Likes

Johan, thats probably a real possible scenario hereā€¦ you know, the forrest is vast and treterous, god knows what can happen to the poor cows on pasture :wink:

Marcus, thats either a Chuck Norris type steer or a Chinese style car :smile:

Thanks Bob!

Those ammo prices almost gave me a hearth attack. Ofcorse l got no experiances with it, but rumour has it even on a black market here a 10pack of Rotweiler 12guage (5.5mm or 8.4mm balls l belive) is about 15$. Over the counter probably much cheaper. Birdshot is dirth cheap. .22mag was 35ā‚¬/50pcs, 20ā‚¬ over counter. No idea for other calibers.

Archery, yes, l shot a lot when l was young. Not anymore. Overgrew my 2 bows, but now kids are geting of age and we all might start practicing again. Got a 37 pound recurve and 45 pound compound, both in ā€œchild versionā€, shorter draw. Need to get something for me thugh. Im concidering building one.
Realy, my primitive weapon of choice nowdays is a blowgun. Its simple, ammo is free, and with practice with both shooting and dart making this thing is scary leathal.
Johan, archery is a wonderfull thing just as a sport. When l was shooting the 45 pound compound as a kid, many adults couldnt draw it. Probably because l learned on a standard, recurve bow and thats also what l wuld recoment anyone to start with. It takes wery specific muscles to shoot a bow, specialy a classical one, and its good practice to strenghen them first. And the bows are cheap. After that, when you try a compound its like a joke.
A clasical bow is easyer to draw but hard to hold. A compound is the other way around.

9 Likes

I would go to a shop that sells them and get fitted for one. But if they arenā€™t legal to use, those shops maybe few and far between.

It surprises me it is illegal to hunt with a bow. Tell them you are Viking :slight_smile:

As a note, the traditional viking bow was made from Yew. And they have found some arrows with blunt heads that supposedly stun prey rather then put a hole in victims. So you could hit it with the arrow and claim you just found it on the ground knocked out. While you are it, you have to pick a new Viking name like Magnus the Magnificent or something :slight_smile:

7 Likes

In my late teens I shot a 60lb recurve, then went to a 70lb compound, now I cheat, I shoot a 150lb crossbow. :dart:

9 Likes

Sean, the topic of ā€œfreedomā€ for both you guys over the pond and us on this side is wery complicated. I always envyed you guys some things you can do but when l visited the US l realised your wings are just as clipped as ours. Some things alowed here, some there, others notā€¦ under the line, l think we net out even.
You will never see a gun&ammo compartment in a ā€œwallmartā€ here thugh, that was a surreal experiance :smile:

Al, a 60lbs recurve requires some muscle. Ha, l shuld get @Tone to try a hevy bow when l get back to the sport. I wonder how his arm wresling training may aid to it.

11 Likes

My AR-15 is chambered 5.56 NATO and you can get those rounds on-line for $.75 for the normal stuff. I donā€™t buy on-line. Havenā€™t bought any ammo since pre-plandemic. I used to stock 35 ca Remington for my Marlin lever gun. That was $35 a box. Same gun shooting 30-30 was only $16 bucks. 8mm Mauser was $ 32 when I was stocking up. No idea what it is nowā€¦ I was diligent when it was all cheap. Now I have enough for the zombie apocalypse if it came to that. Never forgetting that they have let over 2 million military age men across the border and they are living on rechargeable credit cards. If you think I sound paranoid you would be right. If you think this is Conspiracy Theory then good luck.

7 Likes

It is complicated. But it is always interesting to compare. It varies state by state, region by region here.

It has also changed rapidly. Walmart no longer has the all the guns. Ours has like 2 single shot guns. They still have the ammo case. Meijer, which is a regional chain store similar to walmart, removed all of their guns and ammo and hunting gear in the store in the country, and the one in the city the selection dwindled to almost nothing.

3 Likes

Here is an easy to understand explanation about seed oils vs lard.

7 Likes

Anyone guess whats going on here?

10 Likes

Radish ā€œcabbageā€ fermentation?

5 Likes

Perhaps that is what I should go for first then and get a compound bow later.

After searching the web for good stores it turns out there are only two really good ones in Sweden, one that is 200km (125 miles) one way and the other double the distance one way, so I think Iā€™ll see a bit what I come up with on internet and then give them a call to see what they think.

Not sure about the name change yet though :smile:

Crossbows have been on my list as well and they are pretty easy to build yourself, talked to a guy last summer that built a lot of crossbows (perhaps not professional but for fun)

8 Likes

Iā€™ll correct myself, walmart had 5 guns, and all them are muzzleloaders. No crossbows and i donā€™t think they had any handgun ammo.

3 Likes

125 miles isnt that far especially on wood. :slight_smile:

What you need is to be fitted for draw length and such. Which you technically dont need a shop to do. But in person helps.

You could make Crossbow but i would probably buy one with a crank, scope and other safety stuff. Some of them are ambidextrous, some arenā€™t in case you are a lefty.

3 Likes

This calls for a story (youā€™ll be more careful next time :slightly_smiling_face:). I was once speaking to a Mennonite lady, just a little whisp of a woman, in her eighties. I forget how it came up, but she said, ā€œLet me show you a picture of my buck, I took him through our bathroom window during archery season.ā€ I couldnā€™t figure out how she could draw any kind of hunting bow, much less hit something through a bathroom window. So I asked how she was able to do it. I had to wait quite a while for her to finish laughing. Finally she said that, No No, I could never draw a bow, Iā€™m old enough to shoot a crossbow during archery season, and my husband draws the crossbow for me. I was not the only one in the group having trouble figuring this one out.

8 Likes

I was looking around yesterday and apparently there are several archery clubs around here, I thought it was only one but I have 4-5 of them in a 40mile radius so Iā€™ll be going to the biggest one for a few newbie tryouts in january with the whole family and ask them to help me out deciding what to get.
And 125 miles are not too far away but there is unfortunately no dow for me yet plus the fact that I donā€™t want to go anywhere, I like home too much :smiley:

12 Likes

You made me grin Johan. I havenā€™t been more than 17 miles from my house in years. Thatā€™s how far it is to the box store I buy supplies from. If Iā€™m out more than a couple hours I get real nervous and find myself exceeding the speed limit to get back to the homestead. I know Iā€™m mentally ill. Me, my wife and the dog get along just fine as we are. :crazy_face:

11 Likes

Tom
I too like being at home but enjoy DOW very much also . With that in mind I spend a lot of time driving in circles in the pasture :smiley:

13 Likes