Do you have a diesel tractor?

My JD 400s are 1,000 rpm PTOs and you have to use a JD cultivator. The Yanmar comes with an interesting story. A tree-trimmer friend called and asked if I was interested in a free tractor. I went over there with a trailer and come-along. I had brought fuel and a battery but, decided to just winch it on. While I was dragging it, the owner came out and said it would run if I had a batt. We fired it up and drove it on the trailer. I had to run in to work and didn’t stay more than a few minutes to tie it down. The tractor looked kinda ratty and the wife made him get rid of it.
After I Ieft, he went in and bitched at the wife for making him get rid of it. She relented and he went outside to tell me that I couldn’t have it. I was long gone and he didn’t have any contact info. He had just had the FI pump done. I painted it and put on a couple of arm cylinders and a hyd valve.
Unlike a gasoline engine, a knock in a diesel is a post-TDC knock, not a pre-ignition noise. I use straight kerosine in cold weather. You can thin out diesel 2 with gasoline to get the auto-ignition happening a bit sooner. The Rabbit diesel came with a pump advance knob that most people considered to be a “choke” for cold weather.

2 Likes

Hi folks! I found this video some time ago whilw I was investigating woggas projects and I think it could help por this project. Aldo it´s build for an electric power plant y found it extremaly simple.

What I like of this project is that he made no convertion or modification of the engine.

Chris
I have a few diesel tractors.
A case ingersoll 448 garden tractor converted to a yanmar clone 186 serries 10 hp diesel 19:1 compression those Chinese knock off diesel motors are on ebay all the time. It is an amazingly efficient motor.
Pasquali 988. It had a Lambardini 914 diesel motor. Not sure I would convert this one because I got it to go into tight places.
Case international 5240. That basically has a Cummings like the dodge trucks but with a different head and thicker block casting. That one i might convert someday if I could.
I have three gas tractors as well.
Allis chalmers d15 with a loader has the 160 motor it is under powered already for the loader on it so no repower there.
Allis chalmers d17 226 motor. I would consider converting that at some point great tractor with live power and tons of power.
Farmall h currently a total wreck it belonged to my grandfather and someday I will restore it would be a good candidate for converting because I would use it to Ted hay which doesn’t take much power.
I also have a 1940 something WWII military 1.5 ton truck with a straight 6. That or a gas genorator will probably be my first conversion. The truck is 4wd and would just be used around the farm. I bought it a few years ago but haven’t been using it. Been using my chevy duramax instead it is just more cost effective to use my pickup with trailers.

1 Like

Chris, I know this is an old thread and not sure if you’re still doing research or not - but I thought I’d chime in. I have an old TD9-91 with the IHC D350. It starts on gas, then switches to diesel. You can control the compression ratio with a lever 6:1 to 17:1. No glow plugs, you start on gas to warm it up, then flip over to diesel. 350 CI 4cyl, between 60-70 hp. has carb, mag, plugs one side and injection pump and injectors on the other, really throws people for a loop! These engines also came in old IHC tractors, power units, etc… It would be a cinch to run these on gasoline at 6:1 and then flip to wood gas at 17:1 CR.

6 Likes

This little Steiger followed me home one day last fall.

11 Likes

Chris,

How bout a 1991 M998 Humvve with a 6.2 liter diesel engine? Would that work to add a wood gas system? Would the wood gas be powerful enough to move the thing? It is a heavy truck.

1 Like

Allis chalmers made something like that might be one is made for the other company for all I know. But I saw the AC version in person when I lived in Ohio for a summer years ago. Those are massive I could plow my entire field in a single pass with that rig I think of course then it would be stuck at the far end with no way to turn around and leave. Lol but they are nice rigs and will pull the world.

1 Like

Steiger made them for IHC and AC if not more. This one started out as an AC 440 but when farmers traded them in the the Steiger dealers sometimes painted them Steiger green. The 440 was basically a Bearcat but I think they look like the Wildcat. I’m amazed how well they maneuver/turn.

About the easiest tractor to work on. They liked to use truck parts. The Steiger brothers started making tractors in their barn. The first ones they called Barnies.

1 Like

Wow, that’s a beast!

What does it weigh? How much HP?

1 Like

if it is actually an AC 440, then it is 20,230 lbs, and 218Hp with a 9.1L 8cyl cummins diesel, and a 10speed F 2R tranny. :slight_smile:

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/8/188-allis-chalmers-440.html

2 Likes

Those are my kind of numbers!:grin:

My TD9-91 DROTT weighs about the same, but down about 160 hp compared to that beast.

I’m actually surprised it’s not heavier, probably that’s a bare stripped down tractor weight. The TD9 weighs 10,000 bare, put a loader on it with all the requirements thereof - 20,000 lbs😄.

1 Like

Yes tractor data has the bare tractor weights it mostly cones from dealer data sheets used to ship the oem tractors.

1 Like

Hello Jesse and welcome to the site .

There have been a lot conversation on diesel conversion to woodgas .

You can go up in the top right hand corner of the page and search DIESEL.

Here is one thread .

1 Like

What Sean said. The manual says that the 3pt hitch will lift 9500 lbs. I’m a lucky boy to have that old girl…!! :grinning::grinning:

When I’m trucking down the road neighbors flag me down and want to see. I enjoy talking with them about that old iron.

1 Like

I wouldn’t pass up a Steiger skidder. :wink:

I also wouldn’t pass up a Big Bud, they are at about a 1000 HP I’m told. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Some old iron…!!

3 Likes

i’m jealous. I wish it would have followed me home. But alas, I wouldn’t have a use for it, or a place to keep it, but always thought they were sweet. :slight_smile:

And just for the brainteaser, I would have to think about converting to a hydraulic drive run off an electric motor and a huge lion battery pack namely because I am too cheap to want to pay to fill up the tank just to mow the lawn. lol

If a fella converted one to batteries don’t do this…

My mouth is watering lol! You should have a look at skadill YouTube channel. He goes out in the woods and finds old abandoned logging equipment. IHC 175’s, D4/6’s even old steam shovels, plus some crazy stuff I’ve never even heard of before. I’ve got 31,500 lbs of old yellow stuff out back already, my wife would hang me from a tree if I dragged something like that home!

3 Likes