Don's Geo Tracker Project - 2- - Charcoal

Looks like a lot of white in that charcoal Don , or is that just in the pic. Dose that still make good fuel or not as good. My last batch was not quite as done as I like, some still had carbonized tar oozing out of the ends and will need to be recooked. I did have a nice sound to it though. either to done or not enough I usually use I for cooking. I sure wish I had a spare tank that size, I only have a metal trash can full and a wheel barrow that seems to never get dried out between the rains.

1 Like

Yes Jim, this was straight out of the cone retort before grinding and screening and looks that way because it is “open air” burning…As soon as the yellow flames are gone and the embers have a light ash coating, I know it is thoroughly cooked. Grinding and screening lets the ash coating fall into the garden tub. A little over 3 hours yielded that barrel full with the cone method.

5 Likes

Nice Don. That clean out will serve you well. I also like the looks of the “fire pot” and what little damage, if any it has sustained. The insulation is also a good idea. Like you say, keep the heat where you need it and why use charcoal for insulation. It maybe cheaper, but it isn’t as effective as the insulation. Keep up the good work, Your successes are luring others to the “dark side” :innocent:
Gary in PA

3 Likes

Bill that is a drive coupling off a well pipe. That is the reason for the recessed plug. “you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth”

2 Likes

Hello Don
Nice build, I hope to build something on that order this fall for a 5k generator.
What is the black hose for that is coming out of the side and going into the water drip.

1 Like

Hi Jim,
That is a wire protector that covers a thermocouple cable for my steam temperature reading.

1 Like

Thanks Don
I knew that there was a good reason,----just looked out of place for a gas or air hose.

1 Like

Charcoal Tracker Walk around video.

16 Likes

Latest addition to the Tracker is a wood gas connection and valve at the top of the filter barrel so I can run my 4500 watt generator on wood gas.

I can purge the air out of the sump hose by running the pusher blower and maybe even a modified burner for a grill. No end of stuff we can do with wood gas. :smile:

16 Likes

Very nice presentation Don. Have you any run time on the generator yet? If so have you modified it any and how many watts of clean power will it produce?

4 Likes

Great job, Don. Absolutely impressive in design and construction.

3 Likes

Great build Don! Love that water drip.

2 Likes

Well done Don… The motorcycle in your walkaround movie , on the poster, was actually build and operated in Holland, Netherlands, and drives on peat.
It carry’s 2 refill canisters…

4 Likes

Thanks Don .

You make us all smile :blush:

3 Likes

Good job on the Tracker Don. So many great ideas packed into your Tracker.
Bob

3 Likes

Don - Great video.

And great idea with that poster.

I imagine that helps convince the skeptics. I remember the first time I heard about “wood gas” 5 or 6 years ago. I thought it must be one of those Internet free energy scams. It is really amazing how much knowledge is lost in such a short amount of time.

5 Likes

You have the little Tracker looking like it is going for best in “show” not just an experimental vehicle. TomC

6 Likes

Hi Don
If possible , what would you estimate the temperature inside the ammo box?
Do you think that water would evaporate in the ammo box or is it necessary to add it above the air inlet?
Regards
Werner

2 Likes

Hi Werner,

I never put a thermometer inside the box so I really do not know but I did take a laser thermometer reading on the outside and it was 190 degrees F the time I checked… The top of the ammo box is bolted metal to metal to the reactor shell so the heat convects to the ammo box shell. Ambient air is always entering the box so I don’t think it would get hot enough to make steam like it does above…

3 Likes

Hi Don
Thank you for the answer.
How far above the nozzle (tuyere) do you think the actual burning is happening?
Or is the nozzle in the burning zone?
Regards
Werner

2 Likes