DOW Driving Habits

Kristijan, if you put a charcoal-maker on top of your gasifier you could refuel on the fly - just bring wood :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the thumbs up.

Don, good forensic work :smile:
In the pic it shows 25c, ambient. This is after about 50km of drive, and temps will soon start riseing, and me looking for a filling spot.

This guage requires some skill to master. The thing is l have a insulated hopper that acts a whole lot different thain most others. Mainly, once its hot and neads a refill, it will not cool eaven when refilled. So, l first reaload when temps rise from 20-60c. Second, l reload when temps rise 60-80c. Third 80-100c, 4th 100-120c and then l run out of scale.

Plans are to fix this, add a nother lair of sheet steel on the existing hopper wall, between the wall and insulation. Intake air will be drawn trugh.
I think l got the 75% figured out by now, now l need to smoothen the 25% :wink:

JO, thats what you are having. I always looked at a wood gasifier as a charcoal producer/charcoal gasifier combo :wink:

7 Likes

Great stuff! Keep it coming.
On one of my drives, I kept pushing as the gas temperature into my cyclone went up to 400F. When I did a cleanup, I found a PVC deflector melted inside my cooler. I’ve wondered about installing a fan and cooling tubes through the top part of my reactor/hopper to drive off some of the extra heat. Probably easier to just upgrade from PVC to steel in my cooler.

6 Likes

Short video of the wife and I out on a Sunday trip in the Dakota .

10 Likes

Ha, running a constant 70 would be pushing the limits for my motor (and gasifier). If I’m not mistaken the Mazda has actually exactly half the Dakota motor, 2.6 L :smile:

4 Likes

Hello JO.

Some of the dakotas have 4 cyl motors and seem to get around OK on gasoline . With the V8 motor in the dakota on gasoline I consider to be over powered but on woodgas the motor is a good match with the weight and profile .

SWEM

4 Likes

Got a notice in my E-mail that Mr. Wayne had a new video on Youtube. I clicked on it and a screen came up with pages and pages of Youtubes. Really neat. Don Mannes I did not know you had posted so many videos. You haven’t told us your full story or my memory is bad. Bottom line I didn’t get to see Mr. Wayne’s video until I came to DOW. TomC

3 Likes

Two weeks since the last driving habits video.
Nothing special. Just burning wood and SWEM.

6 Likes

I just went back and viewed all of the videos you have done on the Mazda. You are very innovative. I have always thought we had to follow the Imbert “rules” for number of nozzles and height above the restriction etc etc. You have stepped out on your own with the added 10 nozzles above the original 5. I like your air preheat system. I used the same idea only I went hog wild and put in many feet of counter flow heat exchanger. After taking my apart I found that only about two feet were really working. The length of your is probably working about as well as any size you could have built. Then the big innovation by both you and Kristijan is the no grate. Did you have to fill the area in the ash pit before the first run so that the char didn’t fall through the reduction area too fast? The one innovation that I worry about is not putting an ash clean out in the bottom. ALL of the char will have to turn to ash before it can go out to the cyclone. I am concerned that the ash pit will become filled with char before the char is made into ash. What a “pretty” build though. And your performance is showing to be excellent. 55 to 60 mph is more than enough for over there. I really enjoyed your walk abouts and rides. TomC
PS Our snow was just about gone, and today we got about 8 inches.:angry:

5 Likes

Hi joe happy easter,*truck looks like its purring rite along 55 mph,thats about all thats needed for me on big road unless driveing the big road through big citys in traffic hours, how did your temp hold back on the long trip, my rail entrance seem like it got a bit warmer last warm day i drove, about 300 f though i dont think i have any inturnal air leaks.?

1 Like

Kevin, you’re right. 55 seems a good cruising speed. Going any faster most of the wood is used up both pushing through the air and creating heat. At 55 my temp outof the cyclone stays around 500F. I pushed it up to 70 once on a flat stretch but temp climbs to 600 and I don’t like it. On the other hand the guage is right after the outlet of the tiny cyclone and the gas left the dump only a second earlier. I guess it would be like meassuring shortly after the crossover on a WK.

@TomC I think you’re right. The small amount of air drawn in heats up faster than the bigger volume gas going out cools.
About the ash pit and lack of cleanout. I did fill the gasifier with screened Rabbit char up to above nozzles before my first lightup. I don’t have a grate either, which means the dump was full from start. I’m at 750 miles right now and I’ve collected a couple of 3 gallon buckets of mixed soot and char from the cyclone so far. The char blown out the cyclone is up to about 1/2" - 3/4" size. I burned 70 pounds of wood in yesterday’s 100 mile trip and the vacuum ratio is down close to 2:1 on those longer trips when all fines get consumed or blown out. I belive the tightness of the char/ash in the dump adjusts to the gasflow demand by the amount expelled just about right. No severe constipation yet. So far so good.

9 Likes

Wayne, we don’t have any questions,but maybe we could put in requests and you could sing songs as you drive along. That would be sure to get everyone’s attention…and possibly make people think you have a CO leak in the cab. :grin:

4 Likes

Burning wood and enjoying it :grinning:

9 Likes

Thanks for the vidio Wayne i was enjoying DOW. Well made it 2 miles from the driveway when my gasifier finally quit. Pushing my truck.well i gess i forgot my ammo can support.SWEM. THINGS WERE A LITTLE SMOKEY AFTER PARKING MY RIG. ALL THAT WAS LEFT OF ASH DOOR SEAL.

i woundered why my hopper gauge was lower than normal. Once i got the sequince remembered it started right back up on petro.

Been there…actually, I’m still there. haha That’s what happened to mine. Ran it too hard out on I-20. Haven’t made time to fix it yet.

Hi Kevin, my ammo lids seals were not sealing. So I got two new ammo cans and took the lids off, sliding hinges and put them on the old boxes, just like new again. The spacers are import. I also made some insulated pads they are attached to my spacers. I have no more heating problems on the seals after dumping my char/ashes from my unit. The insulation pads keep heat away from the seals. I made them to fit snug up inside the box.
Bob

3 Likes

They worked good till i pluged from the pine sticks and i dident use the wood block too stop the collaps from high vacuem, had too see the limits, and i need too take unit out too add ash door on other side any way, They sure make good char dump if the block support is there, BBB.

I MADE a new seal from silocone till i get more cans in the mail, this bo bo got hot and distorted the can around the seal, so i will weld new can on this side too.Thanks.

1 Like

Have Wood Will Travel :grinning:

7 Likes

Ok Wayne K my dow will be more consistant once i follow the ammo can plan, proper as your book says.it worked grate for about 400 miles till the hopper ash pluged a little too well.SWEM,BBB. I GOT 5 AMMO CANS,for 40 bucks too the door on EBAY. NO SUPORTS NEED BE SKIPED ON THAT FAST EASY CHAR CLEAN DOOR.

1 Like