Finally concluding a first try on my tractor oliver

I almost never use metric, unless I am mixing gas or working on a metric engine.

A US gallon has 128 ounces.
I think you have been cheated somewhere lol.
No seriously I remember this would cause grief when mixing gas because you could never be sure what you were dealing with unless it was clearly labeled US gallon or Imperial.

That Oliver is a rare bird up here…
Some have a flat belt pulley for running stuff around the farm.

I was amused by the young ladies reaction to the stall.
We call that a " Borrow word " I use a few myself sometimes a french word conveys the feeling better than an English one.

Good Job trigaux

3 Likes

wallace thank you

The oliver OC4 are, indeed, very rare these days. I have some problems to finish its restoration

I can not adjust the ignition timing.
(No reference points on the crankshaft pulley, it is no longer the pulley of origin, I think)

I adjust engine timing by turning the ignition coil .This is not very professional!

SOMEBODY has a sollution to this problem?

Thierry

Brian

I am very comfortable with the imperial system
I live in North America like you.
Sincerely Thierry

1 Like

On industrial engines and some farm tractors, the timing marks are on the flywheel. Look on the bell housing for a plate covering a hole or just and open round hole, where you can see the flywheel. Using a rag and light turn the engine over slowly and watch for some markings. You really don’t know what the specified timing is so even if you found markings what would you set it at. Setting timing by ear has been a reliable method for 100 years on those old engines. Many had a spark advance in the driver’s compartment. When you switch to charcoal gas, the factory specs aren’t really that useful. Good luck TomC

3 Likes

My hat goes off to you Trigaux what a wonderful build and a fantastic show stopper to boot , the engine sounded lovely too with that fantastic exhaust note as you pull away .
Do you have any pictures of your nozzle arrangement and how it sits down in the bottom ?

Anyway its Brilliant !

Dave

4 Likes

Tom thank you for the quick response.
I look tomorrow on the wheel. I’m not sure to have the skills to adjust the engine has the ear .
I’ll talk with a former mechanic about it
Thierry

Hi Dave

This is a good chance that we have when we can restore these old equipment.
This oliver tractor had to go to the scrap, I gave her a new life

I photografie the nozzle at the next cleaning ,promised

Thierry

4 Likes

Je comprends francais…
But if I try and speak it I will make you cover your ears.

If you post pictures of the magneto or distributor on this engine I may be able to help with the timing issues.

1 Like

I don’t know what you meant buy "adjusting the coil. I think you meant adjusting the distributor. In any case adjusting it “by ear” is not hard to do and you might want to do it when you go to charcoal gas. Loosen the distributor just enough to turn it by hand. Start the engine and rotate the dist. Listen for the engine rpms to pick up. Then as you turn more the rpms will drop. let the rpms drop just a little and lock the dist. down. It is possible if you don’t know what direction the dist. rotor is turning that, when slowing the engine down, you will have “over” advanced the dist. Try starting the engine with the new setting. If it starts and runs, good. Done If the engine wants to back fire and not turn over as fast as usual, you over advanced the timing. Go back and proceed again with loosening the dist and rotate until the engine runs a fastest rpm. Now rotate, the distributor the opposite way you did the first the to slow the engine down. Lock it down again. NOW it should be good to go.( or close enough for the girls I go with)TomC

6 Likes

Hi Wallace ,Hi Tom

I have new pictures of the ignition coil. But too heavy and I can not resize

This weekend, we send more pictures (my girlfriend is very good on the computer)

Thierry

2 Likes

Trig; I E-mail the pictures to myself. The E-mail process reduces them. Then I take them off the E-mail and drop them on DOW. E-mails come through very quickly so I don’t have to wait but a short time TomC

1 Like

Never say die
As you advise Tom .I went through my email

4 Likes

3 Likes

That looks like you could remove that bolt for testing and hold it temporarily with a vise grip pliers at more than 10 degrees advance.

1 Like

Many of ash on the filter foam. Is this normal after 30 minutes FUNCTIONING?
I have emptied the cyclone filter (about 1/3 cup)

I have also had an air intake, between the filter and the cyclone.

I have ran out of coal on the end of my last cource.

1 Like

My filter is small (a propane tank 8 kg) plus an air filter recovered on an old GM 1500

2 Likes

6 Likes

Trigaux,

In reference to your charcoal consumption rate, in my experience, a 5-gallon (20 liter) bucket of 1/2" dense char (oak) is roughly equivalent to 1 gallon of gasoline.

Spruce is a very “light” wood, and has half the BTUs of hardwood… So, you’re probably looking at 10 gallons in volume (40 liters) to get the equivalent of 1 gallon of gasoline.

So, in cases like this, it all about carbon density. We had phenomenally long run times with pyrolyzed pellets (super dense), and lasted twice as long as the pyrolyzed pine wood chips we tried.

You can see a sortable list of the energy content of wood species on my blog:
http://www.offgridpro.com/2015/09/the-energy-in-wood/

Hope this helps…

3 Likes

Troy thank you very relevant information
I think this is the sum of all the expertise of the community that allows me to move forward

Thank Thierry

1 Like

Do you have a princess auto or tool town near you?

They sell some very inexpensive timing lights.
It would not hurt to familiarize yourself with one and find the actual timing of your engine ( also make some marks on the pulley so you can see what is going on )

Next a dwell meter might be useful so the ignition is set up correctly.

There are kits out there that will let you upgrade your inductive ignition with points to Higher output electronic controlled ignition like the GM HEI system from the 70s.
These are great ignitions with a lot of powerful spark for igniting hard to light lean mixtures and this might improve the performance of the Oliver’s engine.

Who made the engine?

1 Like