Finally concluding a first try on my tractor oliver

Who made that engine?
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/8/1/1816-oliver-oc-4.html

All you need is a manual now and you can find out what the normal range and setting were to make some educated guesses on how to adapt it or improve it for wood gas.

Found this already for easier starting.
http://www.hot-spark.com/1-3AUT4U1.htm

Since this is a Prestolite distributor its might be easy to swap out the entire distributor for one with electronic ignition and a built in mechanical advance.

There may be other versions of this distributor in marine applications that also use only a mechanical advance feature.
http://www.marineparts.com/sierra/sierra91.aspx

1 Like

Hi Wallace

I order the tractor’s manual this week.

I do not see marks on the pulley or flywheel

Here is a video of the flywheel. I do not see any landmarks on the stationary part of the tractor

Thierry

1 Like

Trig; My guess is that you found the Top Dead Center mark on the fly wheel. With that centered in the hole, now go to the distributor and make sure the rotor under the cap is pointing directly at the #1 spark plug post on the cap. Now you have the markings at the base of the distributor where it bolts down. That should be on “0”. Now if you want to advance the engine 5 degrees, you turn the distributor until it is at 5 degrees on that marking. Tighten it down and you are good to go. ( 5 degrees was and example. I don’t know what it should be set at.)TomC
I just remembered that that mark may be off by one revolution. If the rotor is not close to pointing to the #1 cylinder on the rotor cap you may have to turn the flywheel around one complete turn to the same mark. Sorry.

9 Likes

Tom thank you
I’m glad you are able to deduct all of this video

For me it is can not be as obvious

I thought I understood you. I will try this adjustment soon.
I’ll keep you informed
Thank you again for your generosity and your time
Thierry

1 Like

Was it just me, or were there 2 sets of marks on the flywheel? It seemed l like it turned a lot, and found one mark, then turned comparatively little and found another mark. I’ll try to watch the video again and catch the timestamps.

:EDIT: it might not have been a mark, but it looked like there was one that moved past the hole at 0:41-0:42, just before coming back to the polished 00 mark.

Brian I haven’t watched the video but some tractor flywheels have a make at top dead center and a second mark at the fire advance location. If that is the case normal the fire mark will have an F infront of it. The service manual should cover these details.

2 Likes

hello @trigaux thierry, i found your tractor post here…perfect nice work, are there some news about oliver?
how much liters of charcoal enters in your hopper?
how much time the engine can run with full hopper?
have you used beer barrels for the hopper?
maybee in future i have to manage a simil project…
ciao giorgio

6 Likes

Hi giorgio
This tractor no longer has coal fuel. It is stored while waiting for a new gasifier. I use, almost exclusively, used metal that I buy at the scrap yard.
using used iron may take longer, but for me it is often a source of inspiration
Thierry

10 Likes