Gasified Fishing Boat Ideas

Yes, position the party and the drinking far, far from the gasifier. You never know when your boat could burn right down to the waterline if that whiskey caught on fire.

1 Like

more interesting to me was his part one video, building a adapter plate then casting it in aluminum. Over the top engineering for that project I think, but very very cool he did

4 Likes

Marcus that’s Dan’s channel :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

oops haha I missed that. Now i want to ask questions on that plywood and bondo work and where he learned to do that. I have never gotten to see someone do that in person, it could be a very handy skill for some projects I have in mind

8 Likes

Gingery books on d.i.y. foundry is where I learned to use bondo, fiberglass, plywood, epoxy, etc or anything tough enough to hold up to ramming foundry sand. Bondo sets fast and you can shape it with your fingers (I wear nitrile gloves and do it outside or in well-ventilated garage). It’s like 3d printing with your hands. And actual 3d printers work well for making foundry patterns too!

8 Likes

Hi Marcus,
Foundry pattern making is an entire profession. These days patterns are usually cnc cut, but for an an adapter plate like that one, where you just wanted to melt down old pop cans for material…
We have a metal casting thread on here. All about Metal casting
Rindert

4 Likes

Thanks Rindert, i’ve missed that thread, should be interesting.
Myself im somewhat a “cheater” and doing some lost-foam-casting, (much easier in my opinion) but im going to try real patterns/models in the future, when i got some time left, (ill probably have to live 200 years to catch up with all projects) :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I want to learn black smithing, glassblowing, stone masonry, ceramics, cross bow making, lap strake boat building so I can go a viking … I will be 1000 years old before I get bored.
Rindert

9 Likes

I think we are all alike on this forum… :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

After much thought. I came up with a water cooled gasifier for cooling the gases and keeping the outer part of the gasifier lower part cool. Well at 212°f . Yes this unit will make steam to go into the nozzles.
The gas cooling tubes are in the lower part of the gasifier also.
The only thing that will be added is a filt housing that could be in the boat or mounted next to the gasifier.
This will be a charcoal gasifier unit.
Below the grate and lower part of the firetube will be under water with the ash and char area.
Just some ideas from talking with @KristijanL on cooling the gases and others ideas from others. Thanks for the input you all have given on safety.
It will be tested first on a vehicle. Duel purpose gasifier.
The steam will work it way up past the fins that are weld around the firetube then into the nozzles. The hotter it gets the hotter the steam. It is all on a vaccum and no way pressure will be able to build up in the gasifier unit. When the engine is not running the steam will vent off. Not sure how fast it will cool down. It might cool down like a imbert gasifier. More on this after I get all the parts cut out.
This unit has fins for cooling my other drawing has cooling tubes in the water.
Bob

7 Likes

Here the gasifier with the cooling tubes in water. I like this design better for cooling the gases.
I also put a housing around the lower part of the firetube reaction zone and ceramic wool to insulate it and keep it hot after shut down.
Modified the water over flow. If you see steam coming out it needs to be filled up.
I think I can use a toilet bowl fill valve float in a separate container to auto fill the gasifier from the bottom using a copper tubing when it gets low on water.
It is sure cheaper to build things on paper, then use up good materials making mistakes.
With a saw dust and hay filter it will be easy to hook up.
I am thinking 1 hopper temp gauge is all that will be needed. May be 2 vaccum gauges hopper and main gas line to engine. Trying to keep it KISS.
Bob

6 Likes

Hi,
If you would like a titled project boat for this here in Washington, Yakima area. I have access to a couple of 4cyl Mercruiser 17-18 foot motor launches. Trailers and boats have titles and all are free. The 120hp or 140hp Mercruiser is a very cheap for parts, plentiful and sturdy GM industrial 4 cylinder. A good one to experiment on.

Have a great day!
Ben.

8 Likes

Thanks Ben, I will keep this in mind. I have a 140hp Mercruisr and 120 hp.OMC 17’ boats. But if this gasifier works it will open up a whole new area of gasification. It is very notice, able how many less boats there are on the water fishing and just crusing on the Columbia River. From my porch I can view it flowing by and the boats.
Are the boats engines and hydro tilts running or are they in of repair?
Bob

4 Likes

Hi,
I believe that at least one or two of them with minor maintenance can all be in functional order. It is a friend who collected them and now would like to move them on. He offered them to me for free.
I also have some v8 marine engines and outdrives if you think that the power reduction of running woodgas could rule out a 4cyl. Weight is definitely going to be a concern. I am fascinated by the possibility of getting back out on the water.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help make this project a success.
I am just beginning my first gasifier build so trying to learn and don’t have much to offer in the way of ideas at this point.

Have a great day,
Ben.

9 Likes

I don’t think weight would at all be an issue really other then fuel, with the open options of water cooling that can drastically reduced the overall weight of the system. More over a 4 cylinder iron duke 151 which was once common place in boats around here doesn’t drink a whole lot of fuel. If my small block Chevy can run for 30-45 minutes down the road at varying 1/4-1/2 throttle I see no reason a 4 cylinder couldn’t cruise for some time on a hopper load of good dry cherry wood as Bob has. And how often are you running the main motor? Even fishing the salt water in my dad’s jet sled the main outboard is run for 10-30 minutes from the launch to the fishing grounds then shut down and the kicker motor is run while fishing. Gasifier cooling at this time, then after several hours of offloading bait and loading fish then fire back up to run into the marina. Fresh water local run my biggest lake I fish on the regular is alder lake and 10-15 minutes of big motor run to the fishing spots then electric trolling motor for the next few hours. Big outboards and inboards almost all have a charging systems so you end up using wood to shaft power for transport and charging batteries for the trolling motor usage. On a large enough body of water this could be a good return. For my little boat needs not so much, I can use my solar array to charge trolling motor batteries at home so only fuel cost is transporting boat and trailer to the body of water, which the V10 build will take care of. Now where Bob is at with the big rivers I could see more big motor usage where this could shine along the snake river for several mile runs, or Moses and potholes lakes. Big water compared to my pond jumping on the wet side of the state. If our other side of the salt friends can build systems fitting in a rabbit, Mazda, and Skoda I think Bob can nail a light weight system on a boat

7 Likes

Boat with boat trailer. Gasifier and fuel supply on a floating trailer connected by a bridge from the boat to access and refill the hopper. Or on outriggers along side boat.

1 Like

Sounds pretty KISS to me .lol
Bob

2 Likes

The plans or drawing has change but cutting out the metals has begun. This unit is going to be different it will be sitting in water. At less the lower 8" part of it. It will make steam that will go into the intake with the air. It can be 100% charcoal or wood or both. It is going to take 3 oil barrels to build it. For all the sealing parts needed. Not sure if it will steam like a steam engine or not. It will not be able to build pressure because it is not a sealed unit where the water will boil and steam. This is the short barrel part that the 12" firetube is sit on.
The hopper will be a full size oil barrel. With a hinged lid and 12" hatch opening the top of the barrel will be spring loaded hatch like on the WK Gasifiers.

At the top of the firetube there is a 3/8" nipple already weld in for a lighting port. The firetube is 16" tall. It will have a 6" pipe that will start at the bottom coming up out of the water and into a drop box . I am hoping it will self clean the ashes soot, and small char out. I might install a grate shaker down the 6" gas exhaust pipe. This pipe is also the clean out hatch on the end. I can easy reach into the grate area.
I will be building all the componets from the three barrels. A lot of thin barrel welding. May be I will master this kind of welding. It is quite challinging. My welder on the lower 1 setting with clean metals .023 wire and speed? Make it just right not to fast and not to slow.
Bob

10 Likes

This is going to be really interesting Bob. I can’t wait to see it in a boat.

6 Likes

I will test it on a car first to make sure it works. Easier to work on.
Bob

5 Likes