Gasified Fishing Boat Ideas

Some weight could probably be saved by using water cooled heat exchangers which could be much smaller. The lake/ocean is a pretty good heat sink and nearly every boat motor that I know of uses water from the lake as engine coolant (some have a water-to-coolant heat exchangers, but still no air radiator).

8 Likes

Kristijan, Bob Mac,
I guess few liked my safety lecture. If you are feeling lucky, go try it.
:thinking:
wood fire all natural can be put out with water quickly and easily
Iā€™m surprise that anyone thinks having a pressurized tank full of gasoline is safer than having a gasifier on a boat.
In the event of my crash, the barrel actually kept the lid in place.
However, the fuel in the gasifier cannot spill and the fuel in it is easy to extinguish, a bucket of water is enough and it is tidy.

3 Likes

Kristijan, I slept on it and more, but I still havenā€™t come up with a witty comment. We all already know about your toilet paper habit, which is hard to beat :smile:
Jokes aside. Itā€™s just that I know of only one difference between 2-stroke oil and regular 10/30, and that is cost. 10/30 is what I use for everything - motor oil, 2-stroke mix and hudraulics. Used 10/30 becomes lubing oil for chansaws, rust protection and paint.
My first car, a $70 -1965 Volvo Amazon, was very thirsty on oil. At high load the crankhouse ventilation freshened the tarmac up and at high rpm and letting the pedal up motorbraking, the vehicles behind me disappeared from the rear view mirror in a blue cloud of smoke :smile: The guy at the local garage in town supplied me with used motor oil. The car needed about an extra liter of fresh (used) oil every time I refueled :smile:
With more valuable vehicles and especially a with a woodgas/soot diet I use fresh oil only, but still 10/30. Iā€™ve never noiteced any ill effects. I pretty much consider all the extra letters, numbers and price tags mumbo jumbo.

10 Likes

The gasifier boat build will have to get in line with my other gasifier projects. It is 5th in line rightnow. One wood WK build and three charcoal builds to finish or start building. I am not set up like Matt is and can pump them out one after another. Lol.
Bob

5 Likes

Mike, I was referring to what happened with my Mazda when I landed tires up. I actually had to remove the lid with a crowbar to get it off once I had it back home.

3 Likes

JO. Your Volvo story made me smile. My first car was a 6 cylinder 57 Ford. My first engine. Engine was toast. I tore it apart and put new rings and mains in it. Got about a mile from the house and a cop pulled me over in a cloud of smoke and said it I didnā€™t get it off the road immediately heā€™d throw me in jail. I got a little better at building engines later on.

9 Likes

Mike, l too was reffering more to road vehicles. I have never even been on a motorised boat so l got no say on the matter.

8 Likes

fell off my soapboxā€¦ :upside_down_face:
There are no more powerful incentive words other then: "You canā€™t / shouldnā€™t / never do thatā€¦
When you build your marine gasifier, you need to study examples of successful designs of the past. Maybe imitate some steam boat practices because they are external combustion requiring a fired boiler. The African Queen example is good, I think. It is a roomy open launch design, with the steam bits centrally located. The central location is good for access, airflow, insulation (distance)from structural bits, and close to bilge water if needed. You also must consider the weight of a gasifier must be low and close to the center of the boat for balance purposes. Hanging the gasifier off the stern would be difficult in a trailer-able small craft.
A wooden boat is much less likely to be a fire hazard than a fiberglass boat. The boat I would use is aluminum. All the fancy fabric covered trim is ruined anyway, so out it comes. A simple painted (varnished) plywood seat or two will be used. Yes, I own such a beast, sinking next to my Dakota into the Hoosier mud. My mind is a messy place. and so is my place! :cowboy_hat_face:

10 Likes

I knew a guy whose place was all neat and organized, Mike. His wife hired someone to do it after he died. She could hardly wait.

8 Likes

In my opinion, a catamaran would be a suitable vessel, ā€¦

8 Likes

You are going to have to place all the party people on the front deck to level the boat out so the drinks donā€™t spill. A little design opps.
Bob

7 Likes

Yes, position the party and the drinking far, far from the gasifier. You never know when your boat could burn right down to the waterline if that whiskey caught on fire.

1 Like

more interesting to me was his part one video, building a adapter plate then casting it in aluminum. Over the top engineering for that project I think, but very very cool he did

4 Likes

Marcus thatā€™s Danā€™s channel :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

oops haha I missed that. Now i want to ask questions on that plywood and bondo work and where he learned to do that. I have never gotten to see someone do that in person, it could be a very handy skill for some projects I have in mind

8 Likes

Gingery books on d.i.y. foundry is where I learned to use bondo, fiberglass, plywood, epoxy, etc or anything tough enough to hold up to ramming foundry sand. Bondo sets fast and you can shape it with your fingers (I wear nitrile gloves and do it outside or in well-ventilated garage). Itā€™s like 3d printing with your hands. And actual 3d printers work well for making foundry patterns too!

8 Likes

Hi Marcus,
Foundry pattern making is an entire profession. These days patterns are usually cnc cut, but for an an adapter plate like that one, where you just wanted to melt down old pop cans for materialā€¦
We have a metal casting thread on here. All about Metal casting
Rindert

4 Likes

Thanks Rindert, iā€™ve missed that thread, should be interesting.
Myself im somewhat a ā€œcheaterā€ and doing some lost-foam-casting, (much easier in my opinion) but im going to try real patterns/models in the future, when i got some time left, (ill probably have to live 200 years to catch up with all projects) :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I want to learn black smithing, glassblowing, stone masonry, ceramics, cross bow making, lap strake boat building so I can go a viking ā€¦ I will be 1000 years old before I get bored.
Rindert

9 Likes

I think we are all alike on this forumā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes