Gassifer to power Engine

We fired 6 days ago and just ran the motor reverse this is the results

After motor speed is set to 10 hz

Inside the drizzler https://youtu.be/9PTuyNXAMHE

Screening chips will enhance air flow through the resulting classified chips and speed drying. They should then be spread thin or elevated on a drying screen. Fans help. Classified fuel drastically improves gas flow in reactor. Labor intensive, yes, but a big pile of unclassified chips will not dry well. Thanks for sharing this project. We are excited to see you succeed.

1 Like

From the look of the smoke it is evident that the gasifier is suffering from fuel with too high a moisture content and too dense (not enough air spaces).

I expect you will get much better results with screened (classified) wood chips, and especially if they are well dried.

I also agree with Kristijan, Steve and others that the system design is fundamentally flawed. As suggested, it can be made to run far better by converting somewhat to an Imbert design. The equipment is certainly capable. For a properly running system the multiple cyclones etc shouldn’t even be needed.

To experiment and prove operation first you need properly sized, low moisture wood chips. And preferably dry charcoal in the lower part of the gasifier to start out.

There is a member of DOW from South Africa who ran a sawmill for many years on mill waste successfully, so your stationary application can certainly be achieved with the right size fuel, right moisture content, and right operator intuition/ experience.

3 Likes

if you have someone who speaks French and if you wish, I can come and do a training and modification of your gasifier, here is a photo of a gasifier that I made in 2013. but seeing the videos, you solicitude the material and I see you badly come up with a result.

gazogenes-400-1200

2 Likes

It is kind of odd the flame is just around the sides. I wonder if that, in part, is because all the chips are falling in the center. I might try a simple diffuser like a cone or ball that they bounce off while they get dropped in.

JO; That guy has more gizmos, thing-a-mabobs, and what-cha-macall-its, than I have ever seen before. What a “thinker” he must be. When they were developing the Drizzler, I thought it had gotten so complicated, that no one would ever actually use it. Again, I was wrong. TomC

3 Likes

Yes I agree with you Tom. It should be done in the K.I.S.S. mode, Keep It Simple Simple. The more complexity that is involved the more automation will be needed to keep it running. This is true of anything except in nature, there you see simplex simplicity in action a perfect balancing of actions.
Bob

2 Likes

Hello Faazil,
Your use of the english word “drizzler” is correct.
Unfortunately this word had been claimed for use on a central European mans gasification system and web published out informations.

I would suggest using the alternative English word of dribble, for your fuel in-feeder. This is actually more understandable as you “dribble” solid particles. You “drizzle” liquids.

Dribbling solids particles is intended to settle and compact them.
Quick/batch dump to “fluff” particles for the greatest inter-spacing particle to particle.
Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

4 Likes

Dear all. The comments and ideas in this forum has been immense use to me. I Have dried out the and the mosture is about 30 percent. i wil fire the system and keep you posted. I have been running this system the wrong way therefore i have rectified all my errors

One quick qustion the engine need about 1800
M3 GAS to operate 400Kw. Therefore how much of wood is needed to produve this amount of gas

1 Like

In mass, 0.5 kg of wood with 15% of moisture, produces 1 m3 of syngas, but you are still far for the humidity in your wood, it is absolutely necessary to arrive at the low, lower with 15%, it is with Because of the humidity that when the top of the gas takes fire that you have as much steam, if you had to take off a plane, you will have difficulty, you must follow the procedures, and by plane it does not forgive.

what are the liters of your engine, the volume of the cylinders ?.

3 Likes

Fairooz when you ask “why are all the drizzler compacting wood chips” are you on about Luk’s machine ? if so then that is not a compactor it is a fuel level switch that starts the auger up to load more chips into the gasifier ? when the plunger is dropping below a certain distance from the top it then starts the auger that then refills up to the level and then stops till more is needed .

Dave

1 Like

Ot occured to me, and the German guy allso mentioned it, if everything else fails you culd build a electrostatic filter. They are not that complex and are amazingly efficiant at extracting both tar and water from the gas. Only downsides is they are rather big (no problem for you as you have enough space) and they require some power to operate.

This is the system my friend used. You can see how effective the filter is, the feedstock gas was full of tar and when he starts the transformers every trace of tar is gone.

1 Like

Another electrostatic setup here:

1 Like

Yep thats the same guy, Marko.

Guys just fired the gassifer

3 Likes

Thats a lot better! What did you do different?

1 Like

Looking good. Besides cyclones, what is the filter media.

Just the same system at 30 pecent mosture. The flame just died without meterial in the Furnace. I though i build a a big chacoal layer

1 Like

Its the same cyclones no alterations just a stering device

1 Like